Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Drive shaft "u joints" ?

Old 12-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
mxracer16 is on a distinguished road
mxracer16's Tacoma Gallery
Drive shaft "u joints" ?

Im getting ready to replace my drive shaft u joints and i was wondering if anybody had some tips or hints to make the job go well.
I have to do the front u joint on the rear drive shaft.
This is the one right out of the transfercase. (4x4)

Can I just take the ears off the drive shaft and the other side off the out-put shaft with haveing to unbolt and drop my whole drive shaft ?

Do you have any addvice?
hints or tips ?

thanks for yor time
Old 12-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer16 View Post
Im getting ready to replace my drive shaft u joints and i was wondering if anybody had some tips or hints to make the job go well.

Can I just take the ears off the drive shaft and the other side off the out-put shaft with haveing to unbolt and drop my whole drive shaft ?

Do you have any addvice?
hints or tips ?

thanks for yor time
it may be a bit easier to just go ahead and unbolt the whole driveshaft, since those bolts are pretty damn tight. after you get the joints swapped out............put the truck in neutral to get everything lined up and get the bolts started, then put back in park and finish tightening everything!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
it may be a bit easier to just go ahead and unbolt the whole driveshaft, since those bolts are pretty damn tight. after you get the joints swapped out............put the truck in neutral to get everything lined up and get the bolts started, then put back in park and finish tightening everything!

now about half way down the drive shaft there is a rubber boot of some sort with a steel plate with some slots held on with 2 studs and nuts. that is for alingment and length adjustment... or is what i understand (or long those lines) also the cerclips on the back end of the drive shaft. Are they re-useable i assume not. Im just concerned because if i need something my truck will be down in the driveway wile im hunting for b/s cerclips and other junk.

Also there is a tool that is to be used for removal and install of the new u joint and i cant find one any where im thinking of using the big press at the motorcycle shop i work at but that stuff makes me nervous ( when it comes to my TRD ahahah that is )
Old 12-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
now about half way down the drive shaft there is a runner boot of some sort with a steel plate with some slots held on with 2 bolts. that is for alingment and length adjustment... or is what i understand (or long those lines) also the cerclips on the back end of the drive shaft. Are they re-useable i assume not. Im just concerned because if i need something my truck will be down in the driveway wile im hunting for b/s cerclips and other junk.

Also there is a tool that is to be used for removal and install of the new u joint and i cant find one any where im thinking of using the big press at the motorcycle shop i work at but that stuff makes me nervous ( when it comes to my TRD ahahah that is )
that in the center is your center support bearing. you can unbolt the 2 bolts that hold it up, and the whole shaft will drop then. as for the circlips.......i wouldnt reuse them. they may be reusable, but i would only reuse them if i couldnt find a new set. im not sure how much toyota will charge for set of them either, but it shouldn't be too much at all. if you decide to use the press....just be careful and go slow with it, so something doesnt bend or break.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:29 PM   #5
FMLYHM
zmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura about

zmtnbik's Tacoma Gallery
Why do you need to replace the front u-joint?
How many miles are on the truck?
I assume you have some bad vibes if you are wanting to replace the u-joint.
If it's under 36k mies, take it to the dealer and have them do.

Have yet to hear of anybody needing to change out u-joints.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
Find a nice greaseable "Spicer" joint and it should include the clips in the box. I have replaced many u-joints, and rebuilt cv-joints back in the day and every one I have purchased came with the clips.

A good bench vise and proper sized socket works great, or you could do it on the vehicle with a good c-clamp and socket as well.

Marc M
Old 12-12-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I'd changed lots of u-joints in the past on other vehicles but I'm not totally sure how these tacomas are. Most I've done have the clips.

In theory, you should be able to change the u-joints without doing anything unless of course, you can't reach the clips,bolts, etc.

If the u-joints are held on with thin straps, I'd douse the bolts with PB blaster or other penetrating lubricant for a couple days. Those bolts are the worst & probably most problematic of the entire job - they can 'break' and makes the job a hell-of-a-lot harder. Once clips/bolts are removed, it'll take some muscles to compress the shaft enough to remove it from the ears. Clean ear surfaces. When handling the new u-joints, be VERY CAREFUL and DO NOT let the caps come off!! If the end caps come off and those tiny needle bearing spill out everywhere, you're screwed!
Old 12-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmtnbik View Post
Why do you need to replace the front u-joint?
How many miles are on the truck?
I assume you have some bad vibes if you are wanting to replace the u-joint.
If it's under 36k mies, take it to the dealer and have them do.

Have yet to hear of anybody needing to change out u-joints.

I have 76k on my 2006 TRD
its got a pile of miles
and yes crazy vibrations and all kinds of popping and squeaking
also i pull a loaded 6x 12 inclosed trailer loading with tools and bikes and riding gear all the time so my truck is used a lot.

but its the first thing i have had to do other than tires and oil changes.

so im happy im just dreading this project cause it will be my first one.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if this was covered but, before you remove the DS, mark the flanges where it mates up, so you can line it up propperly when reinstalling.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:10 AM   #10
Slain Warrior
3'OVALS is on a distinguished road
3'OVALS's Tacoma Gallery
Why is my parts rep telling me that u joints for 2007s are not sold separately? This woman is telling me I have to buy the entire driveshaft at $500 a pop. Told me she doesn't even have a part number for the u joint by it's self.

By the way. Toyota will replace the driveshaft under warranty if your truck has less than 60,000 miles. Of coarse mt Tacoma has 67,000 showing.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:18 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'OVALS View Post
Why is my parts rep telling me that u joints for 2007s are not sold separately? This woman is telling me I have to buy the entire driveshaft at $500 a pop. Told me she doesn't even have a part number for the u joint by it's self.

By the way. Toyota will replace the driveshaft under warranty if your truck has less than 60,000 miles. Of coarse mt Tacoma has 67,000 showing.
If I had to guess, the U-joint is probably not a toyota part. If it's not a toyota part, they can't sell it to you (unless it's already in the driveshaft assembly).

You need to find out what u-joint you need and get it at a drive-shaft/spring shop or auto store.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:48 AM   #12
Hardcore wheeler, try and keep up.... if you can.
SnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud of

SnoBoarder's Tacoma Gallery
For the parts, try calling and emailing:
Champion Toyota (35% Discount)
http://www.toyotaworld.com/

I found U-joints on their online Parts tool but only for a 2WD truck, very interesting. The propeller shafts are listed too. I'd call them and give them your VIN and maybe they'll be able to get a U-joint for you.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...06&catalogid=1

Champion Toyota Parts Department
parts(at-sign)toyotaworld.com

I have a Tom Wood's Drive Shaft so I shouldn't have an issue with parts on my rear propeller shaft, but maybe he can help you with the parts you need.
http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

For Repairs, these may be useful:
(4x4 Access Cab and Double Cab Propeller Shaft)

Rear Propeller Shaft (Access Cab 4WD and Double Cab4 WD)
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...a/03500610.pdf

DISASSEMBLY
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...6ta/035006.pdf

REASSEMBLY
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...6ta/035007.pdf

Installation
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...6ta/035008.pdf
Old 12-20-2008, 05:58 AM   #13
HighPlains will become famous soon enoughHighPlains will become famous soon enough
HighPlains's Tacoma Gallery
Have you ever done this before? If not, do yourself a favor and pay someone. Practically speaking, it is my opinion that if you replace one ends universal joint, you should replace the other. If you don't know what you are doing, though....a part that spins at high speed and pushes your truck over the ground, and could potentially leave you stranded...It is not the time or the place to be learning. I know it is not that hard to do, but there are a few tricks and tools you might find handy that you won't have and don't know about.

Quote:

Do you have any addvice?
hints or tips ?

thanks for yor time
Old 12-20-2008, 06:04 AM   #14
SnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud of

^ x2
Old 12-22-2008, 06:23 AM   #15
Slain Warrior
3'OVALS's Tacoma Gallery
I just got off the phone with my local parts dept. and Toyota now shows a part number for u joints for the rear propeller-shaft. Parts guy told me that he gets revision/availability/price updates every month from Toyota and these are new stock numbers. They are for 4wd rear shafts. $70.10. LOL
Old 12-22-2008, 06:30 AM   #16
Uncivilized Creations Prez
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Redz
PrezidentRedz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PrezidentRedz
Just get some greaseable ujoints from Napa. the plenty strong. about 15-20$
Old 12-22-2008, 06:30 AM   #17

3'ovals- Can you post the Part# they gave you?
Old 12-23-2008, 05:11 AM   #18
Slain Warrior
3'OVALS's Tacoma Gallery
The parts were ordered yesterday and is supposed to be in today the 23rd. I'll pick them (I ordered two) up after work and post it for you.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:14 AM   #19
Slain Warrior
3'OVALS's Tacoma Gallery
Still waiting for the parts to come in.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #20
Slain Warrior
3'OVALS's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for the long wait, SnoBoarder. I work industrial construction which means long distances from home. The part number for the u-joints is 04371-0K070. List price for one copy is $72.27. While at the service dept, parts rep ran the numbers and it seems to match up with 2007 regular cab Tacomas, 4wd with 2.7L manual. $72.27. lol