Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

"Drive Systems" maze: what is ON in 2WD mode?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
Thighmaster is on a distinguished road

Army: Medic, Nurse 5502d USAH, 352d CSH
Thighmaster's Tacoma Gallery
"Drive Systems" maze: what is ON in 2WD mode?

{I have read some decent threads on this mess already but I am still a bit lost}
My 2012 TRD Off Road is less than on day old... I can't figure out what traction systems are "on" when I turn the key, starting out in generic 2WD mode. Is there any power distributed to the front wheels?
Old 03-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
All of this should be in your manual DK should be along shortly though. I'll find some threads that explain it a little better. Welcome to the forum. IBDK.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Here:http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...nd-i-hope.html

Quote:
Because the owner's manual was lacking clarity and nobody at my dealership could explain the new systems well, I needed to do this... I did get a lot of help from the people here on Tacoma World helping me understand what I had... and I thank you guys a lot for it!

The list, below itemizes the drive modes... we have nine!

1) 2WD: VSC and TRAC active, engine regulated ('Limited Slip Lite').

2) 2WD: 'AUTO LSD' ('TRAC OFF MODE'). No engine regulation for 'strong' limited slip.

3) 2WD: 'VSC OFF MODE' (TRAC is off for 'open differential').

4) 4WD-Hi: VSC and TRAC active. No engine regulation for 'strong' limited slip.

5) 4WD-Hi: 'VSC OFF MODE' (TRAC is off for 'open differentials').

6) 4WD-Lo: VSC and TRAC are both off in L4 ('open differentials').

7) 4WD-Lo: 'A-TRAC' on gives a 'locker-like, super strong' limited slip, front and rear.

8) 4WD-Lo: Rear Differential Locked and open front differential (A-TRAC off).

9) 4WD-Lo: RR DIFF LOCK + A-TRAC on, 3 MPH limit.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
No power to the front at all in key on 2WD. Your truck does not have any type of AWD. You have a light limited slip with traction control (just key on) and you have a strong limited slip if you push the button once. ALSD. Then, while stopped if you push and hold the button you have open diffs.

That process is similar in 4H except you jump straight to strong limited slip, push and hold the button for open diffs.

If you have an off-road you have a locker and A-trac for extra traction.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #6

Got it - no power to the front wheels at all when starting her up. Limited slip on the rear. Thanks.
Thanks both of you for your help. OzT I had seen your previous threads on this issue, appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighmaster View Post
. OzT I had seen your previous threads on this issue, appreciate it.
Wa
Old 03-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting that info for him, and also here is the chart that applies to all 2009+ Tacomas:

Old 03-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
http://www.majormedia2.com/4WDSimplifiedv5/4WD.html

Quote:
Got it - no power to the front wheels at all when starting her up. Limited slip on the rear. Thanks.
Thanks both of you for your help. OzT I had seen your previous threads on this issue, appreciate it.
No just TRAC and VSC in normal mode which is just traction control and stability control.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
http://www.majormedia2.com/4WDSimplifiedv5/4WD.html

No just TRAC and VSC in normal mode which is just traction control and stability control.
Ah, yes, thank you.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #11

Recently saw the YouTube with the Tacoma pro from "Expeditions West" and it helped me understand when to use the rear locker and when to use the A-TRAC (sand vs uneven terrain, for example).
Old 03-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Recently saw the YouTube with the Tacoma pro from "Expeditions West" and it helped me understand when to use the rear locker and when to use the A-TRAC (sand vs uneven terrain, for example).
About sand...

A-TRAC is only in low range, and unless you are burried and need to crawl out (from fully inflated tires and not using TRAC in H4), keep it in high range (with TRAC on).. or deflate your tires.

On sand, you want to float on top and not dig in... and that is best done with non-aggressive and deflated tires, and in high range.

Aggressive (mud terrain and 3 ply tires) tend to want to dig you deeper and will require more air removed to float on the sand, than all terrain or highway tires.

Low Range has lots of torque and the tires will try to spin... and that only digs you in.

Traction control limits spin (TRAC) and staying in high range helps prevent digging in.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #13

That seems pretty clear. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #14

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Glad it helped... please don't hesitate to ask if anything isn't clear!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #15

Can you list EACH mode, including 2WD as well, and when you would use each?
I don't understand the diagram when it says TRAC OFF not available in 4 hi and lo.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #16

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't understand the diagram when it says TRAC OFF not available in 4 hi and lo.
YES... first let me answer the second question:

What the chart says is the driver cannot choose the 'TRAC OFF MODE' in H4 and L4...

This is just a poor use of terms by Toyota. They call AUTO LSD the 'TRAC OFF MODE'... which only works in 2WD.

So, in 4WD you cannot turn on 2WD's AUTO LSD (TRAC OFF MODE).

In H4 your normal mode is TRAC without engine regulation, and you can turn off the TRAC which is what Toyota calls the 'VSC OFF MODE' (TRAC and VSC both off).

In L4 you have no traction controls (except the Off Road TRD's A-TRAC).

================================================== ======

In my sig. is a link to: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ar-locker.html

In there is this:

UP TO NINE DRIVE MODES

1) Normal street driving: H2 TRAC ON and VSC is on.

2) Slippery conditions, to get moving from a stuck: H2 AUTO LSD ON (VSC is off under 30 mph). Press VSC button once while moving or stopped.

3) Spinning tires prefered: H2 VSC OFF/ TRAC OFF. Press and hold down VSC button 3+ seconds, while stopped.

4) Loose dirt, sand, snow: H4 TRAC ON and VSC is on.

5) Spinning tires prefered, off pavement: H4 VSC OFF/ TRAC OFF. Press and hold down VSC button 3+ seconds, while stopped.

6) Spinning tires prefered with low gearing torque: L4 (with A-TRAC off)

7) Steep grades, large rocks, deep mud, severe traction conditions: L4 with A-TRAC ON. Press A-TRAC button once.

8) Spinning tires in front only: L4 with REAR DIFFERENTIAL LOCKED.

9) L4 REAR LOCKED and A-TRAC ON. A-TRAC comes on automatically when speed drops to under 3 mph to provide front traction to get you going, again.

ALL Tacomas have 1-3. ALL 4WD Tacomas have 1-6. ONLY 4WD OFF ROAD TRD Tacomas have 1-9.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #17
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ar-locker.html

What you need depends on the situation. You will just have to try everything out.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #18

You da man DK. Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #19

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Just a fan of 4WD systems... and like you, I wanted to know! The problem is most don't know what they have or how to use it... be it poor salesman at purchase, poor research on their part or just poor information from Toyota.

Calling AUTO LSD: 'TRAC OFF MODE' instead of "Enhanced Trac Mode", and calling the traction control in 4WD-HI: 'TRAC' instead of AUTO LSD or "Super Trac" doesn't help understand the systems!

Just remember:
TRAC in H2 is less/lighter/weaker traction than TRAC in H4. Also,
TRAC in H2 is less/lighter/weaker traction than AUTO LSD (TRAC OFF) in H2.
To turn off TRAC and turn off AUTO LSD is the VSC OFF MODE.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:44 AM   #20

I love the options, but wish the names and controls were more intuitive, you know?
I will print out your nine step guide and put it on my visor.