Originally Posted by Thighmaster
Can you list EACH mode, including 2WD as well, and when you would use each?
I don't understand the diagram when it says TRAC OFF not available in 4 hi and lo.
YES... first let me answer the second question:
What the chart says is the driver cannot choose the 'TRAC OFF MODE' in H4 and L4...
This is just a poor use of terms by Toyota. They call AUTO LSD the 'TRAC OFF MODE'... which only works in 2WD.
So, in 4WD you cannot turn on 2WD's AUTO LSD (TRAC OFF MODE).
In H4 your normal mode is TRAC without engine regulation, and you can turn off the TRAC which is what Toyota calls the 'VSC OFF MODE' (TRAC and VSC both off).
In L4 you have no traction controls (except the Off Road TRD's A-TRAC).
In my sig. is a link to: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ar-locker.html
In there is this:
UP TO NINE DRIVE MODES
1) Normal street driving: H2 TRAC ON and VSC is on.
2) Slippery conditions, to get moving from a stuck: H2 AUTO LSD ON (VSC is off under 30 mph). Press VSC button once while moving or stopped.
3) Spinning tires prefered: H2 VSC OFF/ TRAC OFF. Press and hold down VSC button 3+ seconds, while stopped.
4) Loose dirt, sand, snow: H4 TRAC ON and VSC is on.
5) Spinning tires prefered, off pavement: H4 VSC OFF/ TRAC OFF. Press and hold down VSC button 3+ seconds, while stopped.
6) Spinning tires prefered with low gearing torque: L4 (with A-TRAC off)
7) Steep grades, large rocks, deep mud, severe traction conditions: L4 with A-TRAC ON. Press A-TRAC button once.
8) Spinning tires in front only: L4 with REAR DIFFERENTIAL LOCKED.
9) L4 REAR LOCKED and A-TRAC ON. A-TRAC comes on automatically when speed drops to under 3 mph to provide front traction to get you going, again.
ALL Tacomas have 1-3. ALL 4WD Tacomas have 1-6. ONLY 4WD OFF ROAD TRD Tacomas have 1-9.