Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oil Filter End Cap Wrench - 2nd Gen Tacoma

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
sherlock will become famous soon enough

sherlock's Tacoma Gallery
Oil Filter End Cap Wrench - 2nd Gen Tacoma

In case anyone is interested the Toyota 90915-YZZD3 Oil Filter / 2nd Gen 4.0 can be removed with a 73mm 14 flutes Cap Filter Wrench. You can readily find this size cap filter wrench at your local Advance Auto for $5.99 .

The end cap wrench to ask for is the
Performance Tool "Cap Filter Wrench", part# W54108
Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
tony456 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
tony456's Tacoma Gallery
What oil filter end cap wrench would I have to buy for a 2nd Gen Tacoma 2.7 engine?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony456 View Post
What oil filter end cap wrench would I have to buy for a 2nd Gen Tacoma 2.7 engine?
Just use one of these. Then you can use it on other sizes of oil filters.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
Old 04-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
tony456's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you.

Any particular brand I should get? The OEM one seems to have a bunch of bad reviews.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you.

Any particular brand I should get? The OEM one seems to have a bunch of bad reviews.
They sell them at Sears. I got mine from Snap on, but it's their off brand Blue Point, had it for 7 years zero issues.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's an oddball wrench that's listed for the Dodge Sprinter.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
tony456's Tacoma Gallery
Oh! I saw that at Pep Boys today. Had I known I would've gotten it. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
tony456's Tacoma Gallery
UPDATE...

Quote:
Well, I ended up going over to Sears and buying this Craftsman adjustable oil filter wrench for seven bucks which you use with a 3/8 inch socket wrench. It worked nicely. Came right off.
Attached Thumbnails
Oil Filter End Cap Wrench - 2nd Gen Tacoma-filterwrench.jpg  
Old 05-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
if you need a wrench to get your filter off it was installed to tightly.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:21 AM   #10
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfast View Post
Or if you have a 2.7L, there's only about two inches of filter housing that's exposed enough to grab with your thumb and index finger
Old 05-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #11
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
I hand tighten the OEM filter every time. Damn thing is still too tight when I change the oil. I use a crescent wrench to get it off though, it crushes it a little but that doesn't matter cause it's old anyways.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #12
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dYL0n View Post
I hand tighten the OEM filter every time. Damn thing is still too tight when I change the oil. I use a crescent wrench to get it off though, it crushes it a little but that doesn't matter cause it's old anyways.
x2, when the prseeus and heat build up over 5000 miles, you shouldn't be able to remove it with your hand when changing. You sir must have Incredible Hulk like strength.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #13
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
buy the k&n filters with the bolt on top, makes life easy
Old 05-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #14
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
This style worked on every toyota I have serviced. 3/8" ratchet or extension drives it. http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...FILTER-WRENCH/
Old 05-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #15
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, I ended up going over to Sears and buying this Craftsman adjustable oil filter wrench for seven bucks which you use with a 3/8 inch socket wrench. It worked nicely. Came right off.
Same thing I have had for years. It doesn't grab enough surface area of the filter (like the one another member posted before this) so on some cars filters I have had to use the old messy screw driver trick.

Quote:
lol... I lube my gasket and hand tighten them on my truck.

Never once in 80k have I been able to turn it off by hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony250f View Post
Yes it does. I miss them I always ran them on my 5.0.

Bought a 10pk of OE filters for the Taco years ago and still running through them.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #17
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
^ or you can get a cheaper set at any auto parts store with multiple sizes for cheaper, then you have different sizes if you get something else.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #18
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Same thing I have had for years. It doesn't grab enough surface area of the filter (like the one another member posted before this) so on some cars filters I have had to use the old messy screw driver trick.

lol... I lube my gasket and hand tighten them on my truck.

Never once in 80k have I been able to turn it off by hand.

Yes it does. I miss them I always ran them on my 5.0.

Bought a 10pk of OE filters for the Taco years ago and still running through them.
i use them evertime now, just put a new one in last week
Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #19
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
I have a little tub of silicone grease that I used to lube O-rings when I scuba dived. Put a bit of silicone grease on an oil filter's gasket instead of motor oil and it never seizes up so you can easily remove it by hand.

I've also got a pair of those filter pliers that are build like a pair of channel locks. Here's what they look like:

Old 05-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #20
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony250f View Post
No thanks.

That nut isn't worth the extra $10 per oil change.
The K&N filter is identical to the Mobil-1 filter, which is very good (and $3 less)... but the Pure-One is half that price, and the OEM Toyota filter which is arguably just as good is about 2/3rd the cost of the Pure-One.

Products Discussed in this Thread