1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual or Auto. -------The big decision.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rupp1, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Mar 16, 2012 at 12:42 AM
    HandBanana

HandBanana Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Washington
    I have the 5speed MT in the 2.7 and I have no issues. Pretty smooth shifting, but did take a little getting used to compared to the MT's I've owned in the past. I actually preferred the MT over the AT on the 2012's during test drives. But, what it boils down to is preference. If I had bought the 4.0L I probably would have gotten an AT, as I'm not a fan of 6speeds. YMMV

2. Mar 16, 2012 at 4:12 AM
    Rosesplus

Rosesplus Well-Known Member

Member:
    I love 6 speeds, my other car has one as well. I guess when I lose interest in driving I'll switch to an auto.

3. Mar 16, 2012 at 6:44 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    LOL, I gotcha. :D BTW, if you want to check out a fun-as-hell Asian MT, check out a Mazda. I had back to back Protege 5s - that is one very fun car for such a low price tag.

I ordered my truck from Chicago via Carmax...LOL, it was the first Tacoma I had ever driven when it arrived. I still had an opportunity to back out upon test drive though (minus my transfer fee).

Anyway, I knew from the second I wound up first gear that it was different than any other MT I had owned; still, it just took some acclimation and I knew I would prefer it over AT.

4. Mar 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    oh btw, just so it's clear I'm referring to Aisin the supplier, but yes Aisin is Asian also.

5. Mar 16, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Well hell. I thought it was misspelled. Disregard my post then. :D

6. Mar 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I have an 07 manual and I love it. If I had only one complaint it would be a better cruising ratio for highway use (I don't tow though). I did have the carrier bearing squeek but the dealer took care of it with no problems at 59000 miles.

For bumper to bumper traffic, I find it's not a problem (I have a 30-mile, traffic-heavy commute). I have 285/75R16 tires on it so it makes first gear very usable. I can creep pretty slowly in first gear without needing to clutch. I was surprised when I first bought it how quickly I had to shift out of first.

7. Mar 16, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    ceeeee

ceeeee Active Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD doublecab manual 4x4
    Can't recall the toyota numbers but i believe it was 1 or 2mpg difference, not the difference between 21 mpg and 14 mpg the other poster was speaking about.

To the other guy wishing luck for shifting between 1st and 2nd, you don't need luck just the ability to smoothly shift between gears-it's not rocket appliances. Seems alot of people complain about the standard on this toyota truck when toyota was making standards on their old 4 cylinders long ago, that is what most people bought as the engines seemed underpowered and most people drove them just fine. The technology hasn't changed so drastically that in 2012 or recently they started making a bad standard transmission.

8. Mar 16, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    MyTaco

MyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Az
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner
    BLHM, Grillcraft grill, painted grill and eyelids. 285/70/17 BFG's on 17x9 Pro Comps 5100's all corners
    Been driving Toyota m/t's since 1985 and loved it. Bought my 08 w/ 6spd thinking it was more of the same....it's not. I liked the low 1st gear, it's great for towing however the 33's took it down a bit. Reverse is way to high, someone REALLY dropped the ball there and 6th should be a true overdrive. But the hardest thing to get used to is the hanging RPM's between shifts. You really have to adapt to it and it can be done with practice. If you think you're going to bang gears,forget it. In the end I do enjoy it just wish it had a little more thought in design.

9. Mar 16, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Good question. I drove mine yes. The problem is that you usually test drive a truck pretty easily. Not so sure I'll do that next time. The tranny didn't feel good to me, but I was new to the vehicle and I figured I just wasn't used to it. After all, a company like Toyota wouldn't put a shitty transmission in anything right? I wanted a manual, and I figured I couldn't go wrong. I actually struggled with it for a good time before I realized that the tranny had very real design problems. Part of my disgust over the whole thing is having my trust in a company like Toyota betrayed. I bought this Toyota, my first, specifically to avoid bullshit problems like this. My frustration has been compounded by learning that Toyota has quietly made many revisions to the unit while publicly never admitting to anything. That CHAPS my ass.

With allot of work and expense I've optimized the thing as best I can now, and it is tolerable. I've learned to live it. I still consider that a bullshit situation. There is no excuse for anything less than an excellent transmission in any vehicle manufactured in the last 20 years. This is old technology and there are no engineering mysteries about getting this right.

10. Mar 17, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I like my 6 speed 4.0 mostly. I'd like 1st to be a bit lower for towing. I'm sure they were correcting from the low 1st many of you (who wanted a car that looks like a truck) were complaining about in your older rigs. The reverse is so high I feel retarded backing up. If I'm not on pavement, I go to 4L to back uphill or to back up my trailer - or hook it up, for that matter. I drive dump trucks and log trucks seasonally as part of my ski bum/ hillbilly lifestyle, so yes I know how to drive a manual transmission.

Adapt, overcome, and enjoy your new truck!

11. Mar 17, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I get 15.5 to 18 in my MT (mostly highway driving). Last fillup was 17.8mpg. I've gotten as high as 19. That's with a 3" lift, a shell and 285 mud tires on it. My truck doesn't have a jerky ride either. Nice and smooth.

The primary reason for the difference in gas mileage between the mt and the auto is the gearing. You'll probably never see the same mileage that an auto would get.

12. Mar 17, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    I've never had a problem with it. Also, if you put larger tires on it, it makes it easier as well.

13. Mar 17, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    ToyotaKTMracing

ToyotaKTMracing The Blue Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    285 BFG ATs, Custom dual exhaust system, 4" total lift (adjustable billies with 885 coils in front and AALs with 1" block in rear), interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, fog light anytime mod, JVC KW-R500 stereo, 20" okledlightbars.com LED light bar, coverking seat covers
    I'm comparing it to a 2nd gen auto. Since that is what the OP asked. And I drive it as responsibly as possible. I don't rev, I don't jackrabbit, I keep the rpms low. It's definitely not the driver for my truck. It jerks like heck even when driving it "smooth" Never getting a manual again unless someone pays me to get it.

14. Mar 17, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    ScreamingTaco

ScreamingTaco Huge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    Goodyear Duratracs, TRD cat-back exhaust, bed tool box, bed extender.
    I do remember my 2007 Taco being kind of jerky. It seemed like it had a heavier flywheel that would jerk the truck around if I let out the clutch too fast with a substantial RPM difference.

That truck was written off and replaced with a 2008. I remember feeling that the '08 shifted smoother and didn't seem to have as much weight in the flywheel, but I was never quite sure if it was real or imagined.

I have a 2012 on order and this thread has me wondering how they've changed the transmission. I do hope that they didn't make the first gear taller. I can see why people who drive it on the street find it too short, but it's good when driving off road and/or pulling people out.

15. Mar 17, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    lickem66

lickem66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    12 V6 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6MT
    Ride-Rites, OE tubes, Tri-Fold tonneau, extra bed D-rings, OE bedmat, center console organizer, rearview mirror bracket re-locate.
    Finally, someone says it. I've driven 6MT BMW's for years and, yep my 6MT Taco does not shift butter smooth and effortlessly as BMW's 6MTs or as lightning quick as my wife's prior 350z. But as stated above, a truck is a truck and a sports sedan is a sports sedan. That being said, it took me a while to adjust to shifting slowly and purposefully in my Taco but after that adjustment, things are great. My wife's car is an auto and we had a crappy micro SUV from Dodge that was an auto so I feel like picking out jumping point on a bridge every time I have to drive an auto. I like to control things while driving and not be in the fuel-economy-gear when coming out of a corner. Or have a down/upshift happen in the middle of a corner. Nut up and get a manual!! Just my $.02.

16. Mar 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Auto FTMFW

17. Mar 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM
    Blackbear

Blackbear Hardtooree Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blk SR5 2.7 4X4 5 spd ACab
    (DIY)...Fog lights, alloys, wheelwell liners, tonneau, frame cleanup & rustproofing, floor mats, trailer hitch.
    Never had a 6-speed but have had a number of manual and auto Toyota trucks. My 2008 2.7L 4X4 5 spd. isn't as good as prior manual versions...waaay too low in 1st gear (must almost dead-stop the truck before it'll slide into gear when downshifting...hate that). Not sure whether the 6-speed has that same problem. I like my truck otherwise, but had I known how crappy the manual 1st gear is for normal driving I'd have picked the auto over the manual.

18. Apr 30, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    6gearsofv6fury

6gearsofv6fury Gasoline > Electricity

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD Sport DCSB manual, Super White, Build Date 3/29/22
    None yet.....
    I now have about 700 miles on my truck and I can say the ONLY issue I have with the manual tranny is how tall reverse is. That I don't understand. Other than that, I have no problem shifting it or keeping it smooth. It seems to be a good balance of carlike and trucklike. The clutch does feel a bit lightweight, but that could be because I'm used to the clutch on 3/4 ton trucks. Keep the dying breed alive!

19. Apr 30, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    you can drink and drive a lot easier with the auto than with the manual. If you roll your own a manual is a pain too.

Products Discussed in

To Top