Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

octane rating?

Old 12-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
chicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud ofchicken lips has much to be proud of

Name: Jose Garcia
chicken lips's Tacoma Gallery
octane rating?

my owners manual was thrown out before i got my truck, so i been wondering what octane rating does toyota recommend for a 07 v6 4.0 truck?
Old 12-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Regular 87 octane. It'll give you an 8:1 compression ratio.
If you want you can use Premium and that'll give you a 10:1 compression.

So long as you're consistent with what you put in, it'll be fine.

Personally I run Premium.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
Tacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the rough

Tacoma02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I think you'll find your answer here
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ow-octane.html
Old 12-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
premium for maximum performance... but alot of people are running 87. the tick is less noticeable with premium
Old 12-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Regular 87 octane. It'll give you an 8:1 compression ratio.
If you want you can use Premium and that'll give you a 10:1 compression.

So long as you're consistent with what you put in, it'll be fine.

Personally I run Premium.
The compression ratio doesnt change when useing a different grade of fuel.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I just regurgitated what I read on these forums a couple times from various threads. If I've been mislead, I'll shut the hell up and stop misleading other people.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I just regurgitated what I read on these forums a couple times from various threads. If I've been mislead, I'll shut the hell up and stop misleading other people.
No need to "shut the hell up", Im just correcting you.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Resident Jackass

No worries. But if I don't have anything productive to say, I might as well keep quiet.

Don't suppose you'd know what they were talking about the changing compression rations then hey?
Old 12-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #9

Quote:
No worries. But if I don't have anything productive to say, I might as well keep quiet.

Don't suppose you'd know what they were talking about the changing compression rations then hey?
I havent heard of an engine that has a variable compression ratio in a production gasoline engine. SAAB intoduced one years ago, but I havent heard anything about it since. A variable compression ratio engine is kinda like the "Golden Egg". It can be done, but its very costly and machanically complex.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
man, regular sure is A lot cheaper... hard for me to fill it super when regular is like $1.44 here in NJ.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #11
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
man, regular sure is A lot cheaper... hard for me to fill it super when regular is like $1.44 here in NJ.
Dude! Premium used to be over $4/gallon; $1.77 ain't bad at all. I didn't think we'd see under $2/gallon again...
Old 12-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
Dude! Premium used to be over $4/gallon; $1.77 ain't bad at all. I didn't think we'd see under $2/gallon again...
X2, and being as 91 is $0.20 a gallon more than 87, I found its cheaper to run the 91 as I get better mpg too.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #13
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
i know... i know.. but the gas got so cheap... it just looks so good!!
Old 12-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #14
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
i have a question for you guys, i run regular fuel for a while and i commute a lot each day. i have noticed that with reg gas my truck runs a hell of a lot rougher (idles rough, not as good gas mileage, more engine noise, etc). however if i run premium, the rough idle disappears, i get a heck of a lot better gas mileage and then engine noises are less noticeable. could i potentially have an engine issue or just keep with the premium?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK27 View Post
i have a question for you guys, i run regular fuel for a while and i commute a lot each day. i have noticed that with reg gas my truck runs a hell of a lot rougher (idles rough, not as good gas mileage, more engine noise, etc). however if i run premium, the rough idle disappears, i get a heck of a lot better gas mileage and then engine noises are less noticeable. could i potentially have an engine issue or just keep with the premium?
Just run the preimium. My owners manual actually says "for best performance use priemium fuel".
Old 12-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #16
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
thanks chris, i figured so. the difference i get in mileage actually makes it cheaper to buy prem then it does to have to fill up more often with reg.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK27 View Post
thanks chris, i figured so. the difference i get in mileage actually makes it cheaper to buy prem then it does to have to fill up more often with reg.
thast precisely what I have found.