LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Finished Interior painting/sound deadening!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Finished Interior painting/sound deadening!

What do you guys think?

Heres the breakdown: Finally finished my interior painting and sound deadening. I tore out the back wall plastic and my sub/amp and laid down some Fat Mat Rattle Trap.

of course refreshments...

I removed the chrome piece on the shifter by just popping it off as if you weer to break it in half. lol, sanded, primed, and then painted in krylon fusion white.

Then removed the door panels, and the gauge cluster

removed the gauge rings by the small clips behind the cluster

all pieces painted in Krylon fusion.. waiting to dry..

next step... watch paint try..

then reinstalled all the pieces. I used two part epoxyto attach the bezel on the shifter, and the emblem on the steering wheel.

all finished, cleaned, and detailed..

For the gauge cluster: remove the driver side kick panel (under your fuse panel by the foot rest) there is one bolt you will see at the top. Remove it and pull that portion towards you. Next, remove the two screws above the gauges. They are more like push in clips. Once those are out, snuggly but carefully pull towards you on the bottom light gray part of the day. You will tell when it pops out. Do the same for the black gauge/upper dash portion.pull toward anf down. One it is loose, you will have to wiggle it out between the steering wheel. It's somewhat flexible so you can bend the upper part that is over the gauges a big to clear it. Tilting the steering wheel down helps a bit too. Then, once its out, you'll see the clips that pictured in the OP.

Here's the link I used. It's not for the same project, but it gets the cluster off. Lol

Tech Knowledgebase - Disable 2005+ Door Buzzer
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=225

Steering wheel emblem is definitely tricky and you have to be patient. its really soft, flexible plastic, and i used a SMALL flat head and a razor blade to cut it away from the steering wheel. then used the same razor blade to cut all the tabs off the back, applied apoxy, and stuck it back into place.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
NvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Jeff
NvrSumR's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work. Did you add sound deadening to the doors or just the rear of the cab?
Old 03-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Just the rear
Old 03-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lol thanks Patrick. yeah, just the rear.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #6

thanks man
Old 03-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Does the silver trim around the gauges, door speaker and shifter base just pop off or do you need to remove the panels and undo some sort of connection on the back side?
Old 03-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #8

the pieces around the gauges use clips that easily pop off. the tweeter rings are clipped AND have those melted tabs thast hold them in place. I used a lighter to soften up the material, and then popped them out. heated them again to reinstall. the same with the chrome bezel piece on the shifter, but then i used epoxy to reinstall that.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
So, let me get this right before I go breaking anything ... the "rings" around the speedometer, tachometer, and fuel/temp gauges come off with a little gentle pressure? I want to paint mine black.

Also, I have got to ask ... whose curb is now painted with ring shapes?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #10

no pressure needed. they are held in with clips, use a small flathead screwdiver, or even your finger. they just pop out.

curb in the back lot of my complex.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1988 View Post
the pieces around the gauges use clips that easily pop off. the tweeter rings are clipped AND have those melted tabs thast hold them in place. I used a lighter to soften up the material, and then popped them out. heated them again to reinstall. the same with the chrome bezel piece on the shifter, but then i used epoxy to reinstall that.
I think I know what my next mod is going to be...

I thank you, my fiance will hate you because I'm gonna stink up the house with the sweet smell of spray paint
Old 03-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I think I know what my next mod is going to be...

I thank you, my fiance will hate you because I'm gonna stink up the house with the sweet smell of spray paint
right on! what color are you gonna do?

hahaha.. i wish i could paint in my house!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
TennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Phill Goodfactor
TennesseeFan76's Tacoma Gallery
That looks great! Been wondering how difficult that would be to paint.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
brny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Bill
brny67's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What do you guys think?

Heres the breakdown: Finally finished my interior painting and sound deadening. I tore out the back wall plastic and my sub/amp and laid down some Fat Mat Rattle Trap.

of course refreshments...

I removed the chrome piece on the shifter by just popping it off as if you weer to break it in half. lol, sanded, primed, and then painted in krylon fusion white.

Then removed the door panels, and the gauge cluster

removed the gauge rings by the small clips behind the cluster

all pieces painted in Krylon fusion.. waiting to dry..

next step... watch paint try..

then reinstalled all the pieces. I used two part epoxyto attach the bezel on the shifter, and the emblem on the steering wheel.

all finished, cleaned, and detailed..

wow this looks great, I actually have been thinking about doing this for a while now, might have to break down and do this really soon, thanks for the info
Old 03-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
how much noise reduction have you noticed with the sound deadener just in the back?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFan76 View Post
That looks great! Been wondering how difficult that would be to paint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brny67 View Post
wow this looks great, I actually have been thinking about doing this for a while now, might have to break down and do this really soon, thanks for the info
thanks guys! i was really hesitant myself, but after reading up on how to take the dash apart.. its only one bolt, and two screws. lol the doors are only two screws.

Steering wheel emblem is definitely tricky and you have to be patient. its really soft, flexible plastic, and i used a SMALL flat head and a razor blade to cut it away from the steering wheel. then used the same razor blade to cut all the tabs off the back, applied apoxy, and stuck it back into place.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd ... You did a great job and I got some good ideas. ...
Old 03-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #18

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
right on! what color are you gonna do?

hahaha.. i wish i could paint in my house!
Superwhite FTMFW

I still have some white Krylon Fusion from when I did my SW-HLM. I didn't realize those trim pieces just popped off otherwise I would have done it months ago!

I set up a small paint area in the basement but the fumes tend to seep up to the first floor
Old 03-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
how much noise reduction have you noticed with the sound deadener just in the back?
not much honestly. its more for the sub back there. the bass is more hard hitting i guess you would say. it definitely gets rid of the tin can sound, especially when your outside. theres no more rattling below the rear window. i still have some rattles, but i think its either the rear doors/trim or the plastic behind the driver side rear seat.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post
Sub'd ... You did a great job and I got some good ideas. ...
thanks man! do it up. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Superwhite FTMFW

I still have some white Krylon Fusion from when I did my SW-HLM. I didn't realize those trim pieces just popped off otherwise I would have done it months ago!

I set up a small paint area in the basement but the fumes tend to seep up to the first floor
Superwhite Unite! lol

yeah, me either.. or i too would have done it a long time ago. lol I used Fusion paint too. the only one i had to prep was the chrome piece on the shifter.

Products Discussed in this Thread