LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

886 Backup light mod

Old 03-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #21
Gene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: 1982-1988 Okinawa, Japan & Southern California
Name: Eugene
Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed for future use.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #22
charles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud of

charles08tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed
Old 03-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
patpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura about
patpatpat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm540ii View Post
Did this mod yesterday. I used and would reccomend a dremel. The difference is substantial; it is a lot easier to see at night with tinted windows.

I don't think anyone has it in reverse long enough to do any melting. Plus, after putting my headlights in the oven for the BHLM, I don't think there's anything to worry about.
I can't wait to do this tonight!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #24
patpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura about
OP,

I bought mine for $7.99 x 2 at autozone. <-- want to add this to your first post?
Old 03-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #25
Special Substitute Guest Member
cintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
cintocrunch's Tacoma Gallery
So has anyone compared these to LED reverse bulbs yet? I'd be interested to see which is better.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #27
FFRNDAN is just really niceFFRNDAN is just really niceFFRNDAN is just really niceFFRNDAN is just really niceFFRNDAN is just really nice
Name: Dan
FFRNDAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm540ii View Post
Nice write up! Does this work with the stock "LED" style looking reverse lights as well?
I have the stock 09+ "LED" style tails, so yes, no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
I didnt know this was in the cheap-free-mods section
It isn't, maybe one of the mods can add it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurozw View Post
I'm assuming this won't blow a fuse since members have been running this for a while now. Cool mod! I'll stop by O'reillys on the way home ^^
I've been running it for about a month, left them on for about 5min when I first did this, no problems at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEENYUSS View Post
Any issues with heat or possible melting of the tail light?
Unless you drive in reverse for an hour, I don't see a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.s07 View Post
just tried this using the hacksaw method and it broke one of my bulbs.. so to all you hacksaw guys, be careful. As for where to cut, I lined my hacksaw up with the base (plastic part) of the bulb and used it as a guide since all you need to plug the bulbs in is the metal leads anyways.
I used VERY light pressure with my saw, using a thin metal blade. Let the saw do the work, do not put extra pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
OP,

I bought mine for $7.99 x 2 at autozone. <-- want to add this to your first post?
I think thats about what I found them for, thanks!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #28
octacorunner is on a distinguished road
Name: G
octacorunner's Tacoma Gallery
you got a rear view camera op? if so can you post some pics of the camera while in reverse? i've tried 2 different LED bulbs, and have considered trying this too
Old 03-15-2012, 04:02 AM   #29
Gregoryk is on a distinguished road
Name: Greg
Gregoryk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
The newer style tail lights still use the same style reverse bulb, not led.

that looks pretty cool. goes above the license plate and only turns on when the truck is in reverse?

It is a plate frame and only goes on when you put the truck in R. Sure you could wire it off a switch to work differently, I just wired it into the R lights.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #30
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
I'm throwing my LED's in the trash and doing this mod! Thanks for the write up.

LED's don't work very well at all for those with the rear view cam.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #31
Toyota Dealer Technician
1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
1GR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to 1GR
Too lazy to read the entire thread, so not sure if anyone has said it. But if this is NOT done right, you are looking at some EXPENSIVE repairs down the road. This runs a lot hotter then what the reverse light bulb. Ever notice a fog light bulb is in glass housing? Do this mod AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #32
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
On the to do list
Old 03-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #33
dfalcon217 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
dfalcon217's Tacoma Gallery
Did this mod yesterday. Found the bulbs at O'reilly for $7.99. Instead of cutting the posts though, I simply grabbed both posts simultaneously with a pair of needle nose pliers as close to the plastic base as possible and bent back n forth till i got a nice clean snap. Then i put a nice little bend on each one before installing them in the socket for a little extra grippage between the contacts. Worked like a champ thanks for the idea! Nice n bright, highly recommend doing this.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #34
FFRNDAN is just really niceFFRNDAN is just really niceFFRNDAN is just really niceFFRNDAN is just really niceFFRNDAN is just really nice
Name: Dan
FFRNDAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by octacorunner View Post
you got a rear view camera op? if so can you post some pics of the camera while in reverse? i've tried 2 different LED bulbs, and have considered trying this too
I don't have the backup camera, wish I did. I need to find the thread that shows the add-on how-to. These new bulbs do "throw" light further than stock. Much brighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR View Post
Too lazy to read the entire thread, so not sure if anyone has said it. But if this is NOT done right, you are looking at some EXPENSIVE repairs down the road. This runs a lot hotter then what the reverse light bulb. Ever notice a fog light bulb is in glass housing? Do this mod AT YOUR OWN RISK.
As long as you don't drive for an hour in reverse, you will be fine, read the whole thread next time, its discussed above.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #35
griffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: POL/Fuels
Name: Ryan
griffin407c's Tacoma Gallery
once again, for the ppl that seem to think this is a big no no. i've had mine for years. no problems at all. original bulbs and everything. i've left them on for several minutes as well. to the guy that thinks the fog lights are glass.... hahaha
Old 03-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #36
I cut them with a dremel. Just take your time with it.

I have a OEM backup camera. I will get some before and after pictures on the 1) viewing screen 2) side mirrors 3) as a driver from behind
Old 03-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #37
Toyota Dealer Technician
1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1GR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFRNDAN View Post
As long as you don't drive for an hour in reverse, you will be fine, read the whole thread next time, its discussed above.
There are other issues other then overheating, that don't require you being in reverse for one hour.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #38
Oregon Edition
RAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR View Post
I was gonna say.......If you ain't Bo or Luke Duke then you won't have yer truck in reverse for more than what? .....15 to 20 seconds at a time?
Old 03-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #39
Oregon Edition
RAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
I for 1 would like to know what those issues are, that way I can have objective proof as to why I shouldnt follow through with this mod.

I was hoping to try this instead of buying aftermarket offroad lights or a small LED light bar dedicated to reverse lighting.

Not taunting.........Im honestly waiting on the known issues with this mod, its so simple and cheap, its hard to resist (been contemplating for about a yr now)

X2 . I have 5% tint and can't see shit with my reverse lights. If this works without issues then hell....I'm game!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #40
Toyota Dealer Technician

1GR's Tacoma Gallery
You are all over reading my statement. Overheating can be an issue, if not done correctly, as can shorts, opens, blown fuses, and feedback. Installing something that is not meant to be there, although can work without problem, can occasionally have issues do to installation error. I'm not saying don't do it. Just saying don't do it unless you are absolutely confident in knowing WHAT you are doing.