Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

886 Backup light mod

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #41
Oregon Edition
RAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR View Post
You are all over reading my statement. Overheating can be an issue, if not done correctly, as can shorts, opens, blown fuses, and feedback. Installing something that is not meant to be there, although can work without problem, can occasionally have issues do to installation error. I'm not saying don't do it. Just saying don't do it unless you are absolutely confident in knowing WHAT you are doing.
Yeah man...I know what yer sayin....we weren't grilling you or anything, we were just wondering if you knew any crazy harsh shit that the bulb could do.

I might try it though.....I need MORE light!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #42
Oregon Edition
RAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin407c View Post
did this to mine years ago. loved every minute of it. still running the same bulbs. nice write up
As you can see here^^^^ time tested WINNER

If you are still runnin this setup this long than it's got to be badass!!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #43
patpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura about
patpatpat's Tacoma Gallery
boom! did the mod. big improvement via rear view camera
Old 03-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #44
tombiosis is on a distinguished road

Name: T
tombiosis's Tacoma Gallery
gotta do this mod!
I can't believe uyou guys are only paying 7.99 a bulb...in Canada they're WAY more...senn them for 18.99 each!! for that price better not f#$^ it up!
I bought some LED reverse light bulbs from CSJumper, they are better than stock but I still can't see shit!
I will check around for better prices
Old 03-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #45
CK4500 is on a distinguished road

CK4500's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a box of under cabinet halogen lights for my kitchen. Worked out to $1 a bulb. They are idential to the 886 bulbs, but with just pins. no plastic to cut off. I am gonna borrow a couple from the kitchen and hope the wife doesn't notice. They are 12v too. just not sure of the wattage.

I'll get pics if it works...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombiosis View Post
gotta do this mod!
I can't believe uyou guys are only paying 7.99 a bulb...in Canada they're WAY more...senn them for 18.99 each!! for that price better not f#$^ it up!
I bought some LED reverse light bulbs from CSJumper, they are better than stock but I still can't see shit!
I will check around for better prices
Old 03-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #46
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480KOS6

I have Prime and got them in less than 24 hrs. I'll try to install tonight.

Edit: Done. Both photos were shot from the end of the bed on the passenger side, both with the same aperture and exposure; f/1.8 @ 1/60.

Looks kinda dark out.

Trees! The dark shadow you see on the lower right is the tailgate, which is down. It was down in the first shot too, but you can't tell.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #47
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Just remembered to do this, after seeing it ages ago. I used a dremel to cut the plug off, but had one issue. While the dremel worked well to cut the plug off, I also tried to use it to even out the bottom of the cuts,,, a bit OCD that way. Well, while evening it out, one of the wires/glass broke off. Did the other side and just used a set of dikes to cut the flash off after the dremel trim and went and got another bulb and trimmed that one.

So, even with a dremel,,, be careful! The wires/glass will break pretty easily.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #48
RI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
RI Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
To anyone on the fence about doing it, DO IT!

Huge light difference, I will try and get a pic of my back up camera tonight. You can actually see the light cutoff where the 2 reverse lights intersect. Very bright and I can see in reverse with my windows tinted.

Ive been running mine for a couple months now without any issue.

I cut the bulbs with a pair of dikes and they work, but be careful because the glass is fragile.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #49
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
jeebus, thats a slightly massive difference

and for the price, how can u say no?

Philips 886 Standard Foglight Bulb, Pack of 1
by Philips
Be the first to review this item | Like (0)
List Price: $11.99

Price:$6.66

Sooo, this would be the "light of the beast"??
Old 03-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #50
CalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
CalgaryRider's Tacoma Gallery
great write up, thanks for the effort!

will be doing this mod soon also!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #51
War Damn Eagle!
Endurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the rough

Name: Zach
Endurozw's Tacoma Gallery
Alright I have the backup camera and 15% tint.....DO IT! It has made a world of difference with the amount of light I have (and my driveway is pitch black in the morning).

As a note, I cut the lights with a dremel and I'm not sure if I held it on too long or the vibration just caused a defect to be more pronounced but on my second light it ripped a leg off of the bulb. At 7 bucks it wasn't a huge loss but take your time if you're doing this so you don't have to make a run by the store
Old 03-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #52
War Damn Eagle!
Endurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the rough

Name: Zach
Endurozw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Just remembered to do this, after seeing it ages ago. I used a dremel to cut the plug off, but had one issue. While the dremel worked well to cut the plug off, I also tried to use it to even out the bottom of the cuts,,, a bit OCD that way. Well, while evening it out, one of the wires/glass broke off. Did the other side and just used a set of dikes to cut the flash off after the dremel trim and went and got another bulb and trimmed that one.

So, even with a dremel,,, be careful! The wires/glass will break pretty easily.
Posted this same thing above but yeah, I was trying to be OCD and even the bottoms out and it ripped the leg off. First cut was a little jagged so I was trying to smooth it out and it did not like that at all.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #53
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
I'm doing this today! The backup lights on the 2nd gen are pretty big inside so I have no worries about heat. You commonly see 55 watt bulbs in very small housings. The stock lights are so bad there are times when I can't even tell if they are on.

I'm also going to power mine from a relay with a larger gauge primary wire. It's no secret that the headlights benefit from this arrangement. The 55w backup lights will most likely not attain full brightness from the factory harness. It's a long run to the back with such small wire I plan to do just one side on the relay to begin with so I can see if there is any noticable difference. No sense leaving lumens on the table. I'll try and get some voltage drop numbers too. I'll report back on what I find.................
Old 03-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #54
Twiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant future

Name: Austin
Twiostaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfalcon217 View Post
Instead of cutting the posts though, I simply grabbed both posts simultaneously with a pair of needle nose pliers as close to the plastic base as possible and bent back n forth till i got a nice clean snap. .
Just did it this way...super easy!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #55
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
one of the easiest and best mod to do. Thank OP!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #56
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
^^^ x2

doesnt sound anymore risky than doing an LED dome light. The chances are there, just slim.
Big difference.

LED dome light is reducing current draw on the circuit.

The backup light mod is removing a 16w (?) lamp and replacing it with a 50w lamp.
Two 50w is 100w on one circuit that was designed for 32w.

That's tripling the current draw. Stock 921 draws 2.3 amps for the pair.
100w is 7.1amps.
Anything smaller than a 10a fuse is asking for a blackout, and going to a larger fuse is asking for a fire.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #57
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Big difference.

LED dome light is reducing current draw on the circuit.

The backup light mod is removing a 16w (?) lamp and replacing it with a 50w lamp.
Two 50w is 100w on one circuit that was designed for 32w.

That's tripling the current draw. Stock 921 draws 2.3 amps for the pair.
100w is 7.1amps.
Anything smaller than a 10a fuse is asking for a blackout, and going to a larger fuse is asking for a fire.
It's a valid argument but in reality the wire size used in the Tacoma tail light does not pose a fire problem with a 7 amp load. I haven't cut mine yet, but it appears to be at least 20 gauge, maybe 18. I do think there is the possobility that the wire could be too light to get the best out of the new bulbs. I'll have an answer to that tomorrow. I installed a relay harness in my truck today so I won't be running mine directly from the factory harness. I didn't do that for safety, I did it to power the bulbs without a detrimental voltage drop.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:25 AM   #60
badger's Tacoma Gallery
I cut mine with a jewelers file that had a knife edge. When it was almost through I used needle nose pliers to grip the leads and snap it off. Very easy.

Products Discussed in this Thread