Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

886 Backup light mod

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
FFRNDAN is just really niceFFRNDAN is just really niceFFRNDAN is just really niceFFRNDAN is just really niceFFRNDAN is just really nice
Name: Dan
FFRNDAN's Tacoma Gallery
886 Backup light mod

This is my first write-up, so bear with me.

After doing a pretty good search, I noticed nobody had done a write-up on the 886 fog light bulb mod in the backup lights of a 2nd gen.

This will replace your wimpy stock backup light bulbs with a 50w bulb. You will need:

2x 886 Fog light bulb (see pics below)
10mm socket and ratchet
standard (flat) screwdriver
hacksaw, dremel tool, ect.
30min of your free time.

First, stop by your local parts store on your way home from work and pick up 2 (two) 886 flog light bulbs, mine were from o'reilly's:

Next, grab your 10mm socket, ratchet, and screwdriver. Remove the 3 bolts holding the taillight in, which can be accessed by simply lowering the tailgate:

Next, give the taillight housing a good tug straight out (rearward) and it should come out with a "pop".

Look for the plug for the reverse bulb, it will take a quarter turn, then come straight out:

The stock bulb just tugs right out.

Now comes the fun part, you must cut off the connector for the 886 bulb. DO NOT use wire cutters! Use a hacksaw like me, or better yet a dremel tool. Place the connector end in a vice, and CAREFULLY make your cut at the yellow line. Just put your cutting blade up against the connector base and use that as a guide. If using a hacksaw, use VERY light pressure, as the bulb is very fragile. Let the saw do the work, and take your time or you will break the bulb. DO NOT TOUCH THE BULB! Use a clean paper towel, or gloves if you have them oils from your skin will ruin the bulb.

I forgot to grab a pic of the bulb after the cut, but you place it in the connector, just like the stock bulb

Now, re-install the bulb into the housing, and the rest is the reverse of removal. Rinse and repeat for the other backup light, and you're done!

Now for the before and after pics! Both are from 10 paces away with my cell phone.

Before:

After:

Enjoy!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
griffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: POL/Fuels
Name: Ryan
griffin407c's Tacoma Gallery
did this to mine years ago. loved every minute of it. still running the same bulbs. nice write up
Old 03-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #4
RI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
RI Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm540ii View Post
Nice write up! Does this work with the stock "LED" style looking reverse lights as well?

Yes it does. I did this mod for my 2011 a couple months ago and couldn't be happier with it. With my front windows tinted the 886's made a huge difference
Old 03-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Great mod. Might try this today. Lets add this to the sticky if its not already in there
Old 03-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
I have a spectacular aura
Bryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud of

Bryan139's Tacoma Gallery
This is great. Tinting the windows is coming up next on the list soon and I was thinking about going to led reverse lights when I do. Not anymore.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
MountainDog is just really niceMountainDog is just really niceMountainDog is just really niceMountainDog is just really niceMountainDog is just really nice

MountainDog's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed. Might have to do this to my 2012. Never too much light!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
War Damn Eagle!
Endurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the rough

Name: Zach
Endurozw's Tacoma Gallery
I'm assuming this won't blow a fuse since members have been running this for a while now. Cool mod! I'll stop by O'reillys on the way home ^^
Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
Banned
IndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
IndianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
subbed sweet mod
Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
ty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty (like tie your shoes)
ty.s07's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to ty.s07
Nice, I might do this today.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
GEENYUSS is on a distinguished road
GEENYUSS's Tacoma Gallery
Any issues with heat or possible melting of the tail light?
Old 03-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
patpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura about
patpatpat's Tacoma Gallery
Rear view camera at night should improve
Old 03-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
ty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty (like tie your shoes)
ty.s07's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to ty.s07
just tried this using the hacksaw method and it broke one of my bulbs.. so to all you hacksaw guys, be careful. As for where to cut, I lined my hacksaw up with the base (plastic part) of the bulb and used it as a guide since all you need to plug the bulbs in is the metal leads anyways.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:38 AM   #17
Ding Dang Dee
mjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
mjm540ii's Tacoma Gallery
Did this mod yesterday. I used and would reccomend a dremel. The difference is substantial; it is a lot easier to see at night with tinted windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEENYUSS View Post
Any issues with heat or possible melting of the tail light?
I don't think anyone has it in reverse long enough to do any melting. Plus, after putting my headlights in the oven for the BHLM, I don't think there's anything to worry about.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #18
Gregoryk is on a distinguished road
Name: Greg
Gregoryk's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.v-leds.com/07-UP-TUNDRA-L...-p9781839.html

I used something like the above for my backups, great help and easy to wire.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #19
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice write up! Does this work with the stock "LED" style looking reverse lights as well?
The newer style tail lights still use the same style reverse bulb, not led.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregoryk View Post
http://www.v-leds.com/07-UP-TUNDRA-L...-p9781839.html

I used something like the above for my backups, great help and easy to wire.
that looks pretty cool. goes above the license plate and only turns on when the truck is in reverse?
Old 03-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #20
Ding Dang Dee
mjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
mjm540ii's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
The newer style tail lights still use the same style reverse bulb, not led.

Quote:
Did this mod yesterday. I used and would reccomend a dremel. The difference is substantial; it is a lot easier to see at night with tinted windows.

I don't think anyone has it in reverse long enough to do any melting. Plus, after putting my headlights in the oven for the BHLM, I don't think there's anything to worry about.
Figured that out...

Products Discussed in this Thread