1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The first out of town trip with the Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ACLakey, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Mar 14, 2012 at 6:56 AM
    ACLakey

ACLakey [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Klamath Falls, OR
    Vehicle:
    12 Quad Cab Taco TRD
    Well, I had to run over the mountains last night after work for a class marking the first real out of town trip with the Tacoma. The route is 75mi one way and from my town at 4000+ feet travels over one pass just under 5000ft and the second at just over 5200ft with 6%+ grades on both. The destination is at an elevation of around 1800ft so there is a descent hill to pull on the way home. On the way over I let the transmission work with the cruise on and set to 65mph. The truck seemed to be searching for the right gear but pulled the grades just fine. On the way home set the cruise at 65mph(where I could due to the curves) and dropped the tranny into 4th gear. The truck was much happier and pulled the hills better without searching for a gear. This is a learning process but I am liking the trucks quirks more and more. All of this and I got just over 20mpg...I am one happy camper.

2. Mar 14, 2012 at 7:08 AM
    puckstopper55

puckstopper55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '11 Double Cab TRD Sport, Mag Grey
    tailgate anti-theft Map Light LED's Dome Light LED LP LED Halogen Bed Light Extra D-Rings in bed Anytime Fog Lights Tri-Fold tonnau cover Wet Ok's
    I heard the same thing with the tranny "seeking" and from what I read it builds up heat doing this. This is why when you tow you should put it in 4th and avoid the whole "seeking"

3. Mar 14, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    mine did great on monday, started at 600 feet ended at 7200, had a VERY full bed and cab and no hunting of the tranny...still managed to get 17.5mpg all uphill.

4. Mar 14, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    With the automatic tranny, the top gear (5th) is basically an overdrive. It seems when going up hill, the tranny upshifts and downshifts a lot to keep the speed constant with the cruise control. Dropping it into 4th disengages the "overdrive".

Products Discussed in

To Top