1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My girlfriend is getting a Frontier, makes my Tacoma look bad...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DevL, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Mar 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    Hot Tamale

Hot Tamale Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab 4x2
    :confused:

2. Mar 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    Bogg

Bogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Surrey, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Google the Suzuki Equator truck. Exact same looking as the Frontier. Saw one yesterday on the highway. Thought someone had taken Suzuki badges and put them on a Frontier. Such was not the case. At least my Tacoma looks like a Tacoma and only a Tacoma:headbang:

3. Mar 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    Hunter423

Hunter423 Hunter423

Member:
    First Name:
    hunter
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD off road
    brush guard, piaa foggs, tinted tail light, tinted windows, rain guards, pure white with blue tinted bulbd all over, white bulbs for licencess plate lighting, blacked out head lights
    my buddie has an 06 xterra and i have an 08 tacoma i have to say i love both but obviously i went with yota back in 09 and not one regret yet

4. Mar 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM
    SodakTaco

SodakTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCab TRD Sport
    Floor mats
    I was seriously considering a Frontier before I ended up with my Tacoma. The biggest deciding factor for me was the seats. The ones in the front of the Frontier were ok, but the rears in the double cab were garbage, the Tacoma TRD I ended up with has nice front seats and rears that I wouldn't mind spending a few hours in on a trip. I was driving a SAAB, so being spoiled with my seats made me very aware of them in other vehicles. Resale value was another big factor, I could have purchased the PRO-4x brand new for less than I bought my one year old TRD for, but it would have lost it's value a lot quicker if I decided to sell it.

The transmission and engine were nice in the Frontier though.

5. Mar 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    brny67

brny67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    :popcorn::ohsnap:

6. Mar 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM
    Dustyroades

Dustyroades Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    I also checked out the Fronty before I decided on my Tacoma. I could have had a new 2WD Frontier for a lot less than the 2 year old 4x4 Taco I bought. For me the Tacoma interior and IMO way better looks won me over.

7. Mar 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Elon
    What's the big deal with the metal bed?
    Tacoma has the highest resale value for a mid-size truck

Better reputation

Better longevity

...does the frontier offer the same 4.0 engine?

....TacomaWorld is better than other maker forums :)

8. Mar 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I had an '05 Altima 3.5SE. I looked at both the Frontier and Tacoma. After my bad experience with the Altima, I still gave Nissan a chance, though. Obviously I didn't go Nissan again. Metal bed? Who cares, most of us sure don't. Boxed frame? Again, the majority of us don't care as our trucks already do everything we need. If that stuff mattered that much, the Frontier would outsell the Tacoma but it's not even close.

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with either truck IMO.

9. Mar 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    gpend5.7sport

gpend5.7sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport
    too damn many
    of course nissan makes a comparable product, its a midsized truck with a 6 cylinder but doesn't even mean they are in the same league, like comparing titans to tundras totally pointless cause the titan is a terrible truck that needs an upgrade cause running off the same base since the creation of the truck doesn't work out well when everyone else is upgrading their stuff. My sister drives an 08 frontier and that thing is terrible in everyway, gas mileage sucks, too small, bed capacity sucks towing sucks, interior sucks. I can honestly say there is not one thing I like about them. You can upgrade sound systems and leather all ya want but your truck will still run circles around heres.

10. Mar 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    magnetic11

magnetic11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    "some nuke plant"
    Vehicle:
    11 trd sport
    Fab fours front and rear bumpers, B.A.M.F. weld on rock sliders, softopper, removed mud flaps and D-Badged everything. Icon 2.5 Extended Travel coil-overs, Total Chaos upppers, 2.0 Icon extended travel shocks with the resi's and Dekar Leaf packs.
    Trust me you dont have anything to complain about, at least your girlfriend isnt getting a sick ass 2012 FJ Trail Team addition... Puts my TRD Sport to shame, Im going to have to throw 5 grand at it to not look so bad. Im thinking of taking my truck back..lol No I love my truck but now its kinda like Ill havt both anyways.

11. Mar 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    Why do we have to make you feel good about owning a tacoma go buy a frontier if you feel that way. Either way you will want to come back to a taco.

12. Mar 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    strongly considered a frontier when purchased my taco last year. one major truck publication had just rated it #1 over the taco @#2, which is rare. for me it was the front-end of the nissan, just appears cheap-looking to me. the other was the seemingly endless mod capabilities for the tacoma. put some thoughtful mods into yours, assuming you haven't already, and it will stand out, whilst hers will be stock. nice, but stock:)

3A_640.jpg

13. Mar 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
  14. Mar 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    kimo

kimo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Sport DCLB 4X4!
    I test drove a Pathfinder one time, I couldn't believe how cheap it felt, even the sides felt like you would leave a dent in them if you leaned against it. I have never checked out the Nissan trucks and don't plan to. Why settle for second best IMO.

15. Mar 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    You'll have to check, but the Tacoma may have more total cup and bottle holders.

PK

16. Mar 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    ...and give less braking performance, and poor peddle feel......People often forget that, the Tacoma has best in class stopping distances.

17. Mar 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    firulice

firulice Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    utah
    Vehicle:
    05 DC SWB 4x4 Sport
    3 inch lift (coilovers, leaf pack and shocks Katzkin leather interior Nfab Steps Gibson Exhaust Nfab light bar with piaas and hellas Rear power window Tonneau sport cover
    Nissan makes a great car and truck. In the last decade I have owned a Titan, Altima, 350z, 350zroadster, and an xterra. They are great and I'd buy one again... but I've always loved the tacomas and didn't look twice at the frontier when shoppin for a midsized truck. I'd say that is a good truck for your girlfriend and you are set-up great with what you have.

18. Mar 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    amain

amain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Anacortes, Washington USA
    Vehicle:
    07 SC TRD FJ - The Black Lemon
    Fender Cracks
    Just to make yourself feel better, go out and buy a couple of mods for your rig.. or go find another girlfriend. .:rolleyes: Nissan really?..

19. Mar 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I also considered a Fronty before getting the Taco. And for many of the reasons already stated I went with the Taco.

Not in any particular order.

#1 Was the seats
    #2 Mpg's for the v6, the taco from what I read gets better where the Nissan gets about what my Hemi Ram did.
    #3 Like looks and ride height better. Not sure if the Taco actually sits higher but gives the look and feel that it does.
    #4 Better resale value
    #5 I'd always wanted a Yota 4x4, that goes way back to around the 1980 model.
    #6 With the short bed the Taco's bed still seems bigger than the Fronty's.
    #7 Got the $1k college grad discount on the Taco (thanks to my wife)

Pluses for the Fronty

#1 For the same that I gave for the Taco could have got leather, sunroof, bed extender and roof rack.
    #2 :notsure:

And if it is a 4x4 that is another plus for the Taco imo. I've always heard the Frontier's 4x4 tends to have a lot of problems.

With all this probably the number one factor for me though was the mpg's. I traded a Hemi Ram that got about 14 mpg's. I read on forums that the Fronty only averaged 15. Not enough improvement for me. Then I got on TW and read over and over that the Taco's were averaging 18.5 which still left me leery for trading in terms of mpg. For giving up the big truck I wanted more of an improvement in mpg's. Turns out that I have gotten a bit better averaging just over 19, but I know if I do more hwy driving it will get even better, no so with the Ram.

Toyota FTMFW!

20. Mar 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    :laughing:

Products Discussed in

To Top