1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why have a locker with 4x4? and **snow**

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RoboT3kn1Q, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Dec 14, 2008 at 4:21 PM
    RoboT3kn1Q

RoboT3kn1Q [OP] Member

Member:
    I am about to buy an 09' taco 4x4 tomorrow and i can't decide between off road or sport. What I am wondering is...

* Which will better for the snow? (I am moving to Alaska)

* Why is a locker necessary, isn't that the point of 4x4, if one wheel is off the ground or loses traction you still have 3 left?

I plan on doing a bit of off-roading, but only to get to ski mountains or camp grounds etc. I am more concerned with performance in ALOT of snow, what are your opinions?

2. Dec 14, 2008 at 4:25 PM
    BatesY

BatesY Well-Known Member

Member:
    ashland oregon
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma 4X4 trd sport 6spd V6 sr5
    33" tires 1" block in rear revteck leveling kit front and a sented dolfin from my girl friend :)
    i have the sport and just got in from playing in the snow with it lol and it blew me away with how it handled... i have never driven a off road with the locker but im here to rep the sports!:cool:

3. Dec 14, 2008 at 4:32 PM
    skierpunk

skierpunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Off Road.
    TRD mats and seat covers, smoked tail lights, smoked turn signal corners, Revtek lift, Access LE tonnaeu, HIDs, grillcraft mesh grill, TRD CAI, custom bike racks, Alpine system.
    I'm sure others will know more than me but here is my 2 cents. Having a locker or not will have no affect on how your trucks handles in the snow. The only time a locker would help is if you were to end up in a snow bank or ditch. The locker on the offroad is on a manual stitch and will only function under 10 or 15 mph. If you're not doing serious offroading then the limited slip diff in the sport should be fine.

4. Dec 14, 2008 at 4:33 PM
    RoboT3kn1Q

RoboT3kn1Q [OP] Member

Member:
    That's good to hear because the dealership has one sport and one off road that meet my needs and the sport has the color I want!

5. Dec 14, 2008 at 4:35 PM
    norcalbb11

norcalbb11 Nor*Cal

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco Sport 4x4
    flowmaster 40 series, tinted windows, airaid CAI, removed 2nd filter, aries black bull bar
    i would go with the sport, i have the 09 sport and i love it, and with the lsd it works just fine and really helps when you lose traction

6. Dec 14, 2008 at 4:36 PM
    RoboT3kn1Q

RoboT3kn1Q [OP] Member

Member:
    I am also wondering...I know how the LSD works and i understand the 09' off road has both LSD and locker. But if I find myself in a tough situation with one wheel spinning, would I really need a locker, or could I just put it in 4x4 and the front wheels would pull me out?

7. Dec 14, 2008 at 4:39 PM
    09tacoLI

09tacoLI Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island ny
    Vehicle:
    09 off road
    Shrockworks sliders,Shrockworks Front bumper,Warn 9.5xp winch,Toytec Ult.3in,Total Chaos UCAs,AP expo Rear, Fox remote resi shocks Bud built skids,Piaa 7in,Piaa yellow plasma Off road lights.
    4x4 power any of the four wheels but not a the same time from what i understand the power frm the engine follows the path of least resistance so if you have two wheels on ice those two wheels will spin and the other two wont with a locker the rear wheels will spin at the same speed when its engaged even if one is slippin the other will pull u out check utube there are a few vid out there that show this really well

8. Dec 14, 2008 at 4:40 PM
    RoboT3kn1Q

RoboT3kn1Q [OP] Member

Member:
    excellent I really appreciate the help guys.

9. Dec 14, 2008 at 4:40 PM
    BatesY

BatesY Well-Known Member

Member:
    ashland oregon
    Vehicle:
    33" tires 1" block in rear revteck leveling kit front and a sented dolfin from my girl friend :)
    i have never felt like i needed the locker... with my lsd i have getten out of everything with no peoblem just put it in 4 and cral on out...its a pretty true lsd so its really hard to get just one wheel to brake loose... thats just in my experances lol

10. Dec 14, 2008 at 4:44 PM
    BatesY

BatesY Well-Known Member

Member:
    ashland oregon
    Vehicle:
    i dont know about the lockers on trucks but it should be like the same princible on quads and in ice/snow a quad with a rear diff is a lot easyer to control but one with a strate axle is easyer to put into a drift but harder to stop the slide so i would conclude the lsd would be easyer to control then the locker... dose that make any sence or am i flat wrong haha:D

11. Dec 14, 2008 at 4:52 PM
    RoboT3kn1Q

RoboT3kn1Q [OP] Member

Member:
    it makes sense to me, I think this is going to come down to whether I like white or silver because I think I will be happy with either package

12. Dec 14, 2008 at 4:54 PM
    BatesY

BatesY Well-Known Member

Member:
    ashland oregon
    Vehicle:
    i love me silver :)

it sounds like they both will work for you its just hood scoop and paint maching now

13. Dec 14, 2008 at 4:56 PM
    norcalbb11

norcalbb11 Nor*Cal

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco Sport 4x4
    flowmaster 40 series, tinted windows, airaid CAI, removed 2nd filter, aries black bull bar
    its all about the magnetic gray haha

14. Dec 14, 2008 at 5:01 PM
    Dustin03

Dustin03 The Cooler King

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expeditionary vehicle in training.
    Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, brush guard (about to be changed), grey-wire mod, custom bed mounts for 4 jerrycans, custom survival box, maglite mount, KC Dayliters.
    I would opt for the locker out of a personal perference for being totally in control of what the truck is doing. A limited-slip will work fine for most situatuions, especially if you don't plan to put your truck through its paces.

Toyota builds a hell of a truck, and any of them will be more than capable for off-roading, so it's up to you.

Our Chevy Suburban has a limited-slip differential and I will tell you that we have that thing in places where no vehicle should have been.

15. Dec 14, 2008 at 5:04 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would recommend an off-road, just for the fact that a LSD will screw you 9 times out of 10 on ice, one wheel peel is much better for snow and ice IMO. Just today in the snow my LSD put me in the ditch. When both wheels spin, truck goes sideways. Just my .02, plus when your stuck the locker helps a bunch more.

16. Dec 14, 2008 at 5:21 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    First off one needs an understanding of how the differential works, ever wonder how it got it's name?

This is a good example of a "open differential" no LSD or Locker.

Good example of what happens to the open diff on loose traction situations.

Limited Slip Differentials

And my favorite the locking rear differential

My personal preference is to have a selectable lockers. I would go with the TRD Offroad and further down the line get an ARB air locker for the front diff. I have been in more situations than not where the guy running open diffs front and rear has cut a day of wheeling short because they can't progress further down the trail. When I had my K5 Blazer I managed to find myself stuck more often than not due to one front and one rear wheel spinning. I have owned 3 Tacomas and the FJ Cruiser, I have been on the beaches of North Carolina and wheel a fair amount in Washington. With the availability of the lockers in all the Toyotas I have owned I have only been stuck once. And that is what a winch is for.

17. Dec 14, 2008 at 5:23 PM
    RoboT3kn1Q

RoboT3kn1Q [OP] Member

Member:
    Man you guys make this a tough decision, if only they had the off road in silver. Do you guys feel the sport is a noticeably more comfortable ride? I have test driven both, but not back to back. And since I am going to be driving from Connecticut to Anchorage a comfortable ride would be nice.

18. Dec 14, 2008 at 5:35 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Drive them 'back to back' tomorrow.

19. Dec 14, 2008 at 5:36 PM
    311offroad

311offroad Stock Taco For Now

Member:
    Milledgeville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OffRoad SR5 4x4 Short Bed Debadged
    20% tint, Debadged, Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT, Infinity component door speakers, MagLite mod
    I have the locker and really wish I had the LSD. I don't like the one wheelie peelie... I dont see why the LSD is not as good as the locker... well the locker would be better for heavy offroading I guess, but not for everyday use IMO.

Just last night I had to drive through a ditch to park in a friends yard. My friend was the DD and went to drive through it leaving and went at an angle where the drivers side rear tire went in the air. Since I didn't have LSD that one tire started spinning and the front right tire started spinning too because the grass was wet. Of course once I locked the diff it came right out, but why not just have the LSD and it will always distribute power to both tires.

Seems like it just saves a "step" to me. not having to put it in 4lo and press a button.

Guess Im just lazy :rolleyes:

20. Dec 14, 2008 at 5:37 PM
    09tacoLI

09tacoLI Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island ny
    Vehicle:
    09 off road
    Shrockworks sliders,Shrockworks Front bumper,Warn 9.5xp winch,Toytec Ult.3in,Total Chaos UCAs,AP expo Rear, Fox remote resi shocks Bud built skids,Piaa 7in,Piaa yellow plasma Off road lights.
    im in ny and have been waiting for delivery of my 09 dbl cab off road since nov10 i can t wait for this thing to show up i call the dealer every couple days i just got put in a f catigory its killing me knowin that i have prob 2 more weeks of drivin my 01 pathfinder but i wanted my first new truck to have just what i wanted so dont get what they have get what u want

Products Discussed in

To Top