1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Added power locks and windows - 2012

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by eight08, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Jan 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM
    TwzteD

TwzteD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    St Lucie Fl
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 reg cab Auto
    2013 4x4 reg cab, 2011 4runner sr5 rims, 265 general grabber at2's, 5100's All 4 corners with fronts at .85, De badged, Egr Rainguards, Led tail lights, Int wipers, fog lights, Trailer Hitch, POwer locks+ keyless entry, Extang Solidfold Bed Cover, WeatherTech Mats, Stubbie Antenna, Trd Skid Plate, Tint, Scanguage, Cargo net in bed, Sound Ordnance B-8PT, FULID FILM Under Coat.
    Thanks for the help hope it goes smooth tommrow ill post some pics as I go

2. Jan 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    jpaw30

jpaw30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    really what to do this now, however I've never done wiring yet. That would be the big challenge for me.

3. Jan 5, 2013 at 9:37 AM
    Ernesto4

Ernesto4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Hollywood
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma access cab 5 lug SR5
    Wait so even if I DO NOT HAVE power locks and I buy one of those Viper alarm system, the Viper alarm come with power locks for my truck? Or do I still have to power locks separately??

4. Jan 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    You need to buy the actuators and related parts separately.

The alarm system only triggers the factory locks.

5. Jan 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    BTW: I looked up the parts to upgrade to a factory locking system.

I stopped as soon as I saw the price for the actuators. Over $250 per door for the integrated latch/actuator.

6. Jan 5, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    TwzteD

TwzteD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    St Lucie Fl
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 reg cab Auto
    2013 4x4 reg cab, 2011 4runner sr5 rims, 265 general grabber at2's, 5100's All 4 corners with fronts at .85, De badged, Egr Rainguards, Led tail lights, Int wipers, fog lights, Trailer Hitch, POwer locks+ keyless entry, Extang Solidfold Bed Cover, WeatherTech Mats, Stubbie Antenna, Trd Skid Plate, Tint, Scanguage, Cargo net in bed, Sound Ordnance B-8PT, FULID FILM Under Coat.
    Well i finished took a while about 5 hours but i was taking my time and trying to make as clean of an install as possible, heres how i did mine.

Mounted bracket, stripped, plastic cover, wire, and more plastic to get to cable underneath.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mounted bracket, actuator and bent rod linkage so its aligned with the cable bracket system.
    [​IMG]

same thing to other side
    [​IMG]

snake wires threw hole behind kick panel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pulled both ends of the boot out to i can snake the wire threw easier, and disconnected speaker wire
    [​IMG]

Put wire threw door
    [​IMG]

Snake it up to actuator
    [​IMG]

Soldered both power wires from door lock harness and keyless entry harness together to 1 connector
    [​IMG]

Soldered the black blue wire from the keyless entry system to the brown wire on the actuator harness, this Unlocks The door. Then same thing with green/black to purple wire for locking.
    [​IMG]

Taped each wire up i soldered, then the whole bundle.
    [​IMG]

All grounds went here, to the bolt that holds the kick plate bracket in place.
    [​IMG]

I then put the keyless entry system here, all extra wires are tucked into a pocket behind where i put the keyless entry box.
    [​IMG]

Plugged the power wires i solderd into 1 connector into the "20a Dr Lck" socket

[​IMG]

I then put everything back on, kickplate, running board cover, door panels, ect. works great. Only had 1 issue threw whole process. On the top right of the door panel is a triangle cover that covers the mirror bolts, it has 3 little white plastic clips, one you pop that cover out take the clips out by squeezing them. If you try to push the cover back on with them in the holes they will fall threw! so make sure you take them out and put them on the cover and not leave them in the holes when you reinstall them, i lost 2 clips :( had to use Velcro to keep them from falling out. Threw the whole process i made sure windows cleared the actuators and wires and made sure the actuators had a little play in them so they dont bind up. On the drivers side you may notice electrical tape on the cable. i put that there cause i didnt want the cable to hit the bracket and make noise. This is because i put the cable coming out of the top on the hole on the actuator and it was close to the bracket. on the passenger side i put it coming out of the bottom and it had more clearance, but i had already bent the driverside cable so i wasn't going to redo it.

Ps my fingertips are killing me now lol there sore as hell for some reason.

7. Apr 23, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    franzcars

franzcars I'm different, in a different way

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    Plasti-dipped rims, blacked out Taco logos, small interior mods, AFE prodry drop-in, DJM 3/4 drop, Viper alarm, Power locks, Fogs, Viper 305 alarm, Kenwood HU
    Which way is more reliable? the cable method or the way Anthony says to?

8. Apr 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Done properly, Anthony's method.

But it's way easy to screw that up and not get a secure connection or to get binding/interference.

9. May 5, 2013 at 12:41 AM
    franzcars

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    Plasti-dipped rims, blacked out Taco logos, small interior mods, AFE prodry drop-in, DJM 3/4 drop, Viper alarm, Power locks, Fogs, Viper 305 alarm, Kenwood HU
    Anyone know where i can get another rod for the actuator? I had mounted one of the actuators wrong so i need another rod to make it work without binding

10. May 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    iitywygms

iitywygms Well-Known Member

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    I would contact A1 electronics and see if they will hook you up with another rod.

One thing that is probably common sense but I failed to do. The remote receiver msut have two grounds hooked up in order to work. (Aviatal 2101l) I only hooked up the black ground wire and my doors locks would not work. Hooked up the violet wire to ground and they worked. Why two grounds I do not know??
    Anyone hook up the parking lights so they flash? If so, what colour wire and where at?
    Thanks.

11. May 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Power supply ground for the electronics, and a relay common.

The relay common may be either ground or positive depending on the design of the system being switched.

12. May 5, 2013 at 6:22 PM
    franzcars

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    Here's where they say it is, but when i was installing my alarm i couldnt get a reading off of it so I didnt even try it

[​IMG]

If you do try it and if it works, let me know please :D

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  13. May 6, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    iitywygms

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Yup. Pin 10 on the 13 pin plug flashes the parking lights. It also flashes all the interior dash lights and such. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I am going to leave it connected like that unless someone tells me the truck will blow up.

14. May 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM
    franzcars

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    What do you mean by all the dash lights? like the same thing that happens when you first turn the key on?

15. May 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM
    iitywygms

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    The dash lights flash at the same time as the parking lights. So if everything is off, hit the lock button, the dash/switch lights flash with the parking lights.

16. May 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    So just as if you momentarily turned on your parking lights from the stalk?

If so, that's fine. The alarm is just putting a ground on the same pin as the stalk.

17. May 9, 2013 at 9:44 PM
    iitywygms

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Yes, exactly.

18. May 10, 2013 at 4:37 AM
    franzcars

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    Did this too, and it's the back lighting to the needels that turns on, just like the stalk

19. Feb 15, 2021 at 7:03 PM
    mason33x

mason33x Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mason
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma 2.7 regular cab
    k&n filter , cherry bomb muffler , 2/3 drop
    What drop is that it’s perfect

Products Discussed in

To Top