1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Added power locks and windows - 2012

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by eight08, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Mar 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM
    eight08

eight08 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2012 reg. cab 4x4
    Added power windows and locks to my regular cab manual 4x4. This is what I got:
    http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=SPAL-0128
    http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=W01C

I've installed the exact same two products on my old Titan. The Titan was super easy to work on and there was an install guide available on a1's site. I didn't think it was going to be too hard, but it was a bit trickier in the Tacoma. Space is a little limited (when compared to my Titan). Anyway, here's what I ended up with:
    IMGP1836_9137d506c11acd6017348eaf4e96c553e0d97c7c.jpg
    IMGP1838_88488bd6efd3a0cefc14553be81ade416ac88b27.jpg
    IMGP1839_ae3224bfc6667053db8d52bdda49125c8160f2af.jpg

notes:
    There's not a lot of room for the window switches. I got the switches that were raised (not flush mounted) because I planned to mount them next to the door handle. But after debating it for awhile, it was just too hard to access the switches as my arm had to contort to reach them. Still though, it was a good thing I got the surface mounts as there isn't a lot of room behind the door panel where I eventually mounted them. plus the cables are right behind where I had initially planned to mount them - may have been an interference.

The window motor has to be mounted fairly high in the door, with the motor facing inside, facing out will hit the window, mounting it lower will hit the door panel. I still had to shave a bunch of foam off the door panel.
    I had to cut about an 1/8th of an inch off of the long gear (that slips over the old handle knob to be flush)

For the locks, I think the rod should be bent fairly close to how I did it. Originally I had it coming towards the cabin from the actuator then snaking up and towards the cable, but it was hitting the door panel. So I had to rebend it to go as far up first, then start going towards the cabin.

For wiring, I had to tap into a total of 3 wires. For my truck, I used white/blue for the locks(constant), white/green for the windows (Acc), and green for the illuminated switches. I tested all of these wires with a test light.

In hind sight, I wish I didn't do both of these on the same day. Took way longer than I had hoped. Probably about 6-7 hours. Everything works great though. Central locking, so if you open one, the other lock opens. I plan to add an alarm soon. Window motors are strong and fairly silent. Hope this helps anyone looking to do the same.

also installed a sickspeed shift knob:
    IMGP1840_c5b411d255fd6fbdfb4ead0976009d98c9dd6053.jpg
    Oh, and as you can see, I used a 2005-2011 dash kit for my stereo. I knew it was going to be off, you can see how the lines to match up. I planned to replace it when the 2012 kit comes out, but I may not even bother.

krustytaco likes this.
  2. Mar 19, 2012 at 12:59 AM
    COMAtose HI

COMAtose HI Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD SPORT 4x4
    6" Procomp Stage 1 Suspension Lift, Custom 6" Alcan Springs, N-Fab Side Steps, Husky Floor Liners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Debadged, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, 13" Antenna from AntennaX.com, 35% Tint for front windows, Procomp 7032 Series 18x9 wheels, 33x12.50 Nitto Mud Grappler tires
    solid!!!

3. Mar 19, 2012 at 2:35 AM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    Big improvement....Must be Peter from 808. Nice pics.

4. Jun 19, 2012 at 5:46 AM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    nice! i want to do this too! any chance you have a bit of a write up on how you did these mods?

5. Jun 19, 2012 at 10:58 PM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    i also ment to mention,.... do you think that those switches would fit to left of the steering wheel if i modded the blank covers?

6. Jun 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Great pics! Nice shift knob btw! Have the exact same on mine as well!

7. Jun 20, 2012 at 10:54 AM
    eight08

Member:
    honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2012 reg. cab 4x4
    No write up. Also, the window motors are currently installed a bit differently. I put the metal covers back on the inner door panel and mounted the motors to that. Unfortunately no pics of that either. I completely removed all the foam from the door card. Also installed sound deadening - that's what prompted the reinstall of the metal plate, to close off that huge opening. But everything is working great.

The exact switches I got are too wide to fit in there, but there might be switches that fit. A1 lists the dimensions for each switch. I cutout cardboard templates from the dimensions I got from the website and made sure they would fit.

8. Jun 20, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Personally, if I was going to do this, I would first check and see if the factory power window motors from an Access or Double cab will fit into the regular cab doors. I just like the idea of things being factory in that area.

Using factory wiring harnesses and switches would be too complicated, but I would at least try for direct bolt in motors. I see no reason why an aftermarket switch kit won't work with factory motors.

9. Jun 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM
    eight08

Member:
    honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2012 reg. cab 4x4
    Have you ever seen a regular cab door? No location for factory switch. Our door cards are different part numbers than access cabs. I would have to source a new door cards, and it would still have to be modded to accept the manual spline... unless I also sourced factory motors.

10. Jun 21, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I drive an 09 regular cab every day at work, so I am familiar with them. The factory switches definitely are not going to work. What I was suggesting was that you investigate using factory motors. That's what seems kind of mickey mouse about the universal kits to me. I would use aftermarket wiring and switches and not be worried about it, but given the choice I would prefer full replacement motor/regulator assemblies designed for that particular truck. A 12V motor is a 12V motor. It does not matter what switch system is feeding it, as long as it's able to handle the amp draw.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

11. Jun 21, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    Very nice, this is definitely in my to do list. I was thinking of removing the tweeter and mounting the buttons flush on the tweeter grill (after using fiberglass or something to make it a smooth flat surface), and if possible mount a tweeter where the window handle was.

12. Jul 19, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    BADGUYSKI

BADGUYSKI New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    peter
    PA
    the new actuators are coming with a single useless 3inch bracket now for some stupid reason

13. Aug 15, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    TwzteD

TwzteD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    St Lucie Fl
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 reg cab Auto
    2013 4x4 reg cab, 2011 4runner sr5 rims, 265 general grabber at2's, 5100's All 4 corners with fronts at .85, De badged, Egr Rainguards, Led tail lights, Int wipers, fog lights, Trailer Hitch, POwer locks+ keyless entry, Extang Solidfold Bed Cover, WeatherTech Mats, Stubbie Antenna, Trd Skid Plate, Tint, Scanguage, Cargo net in bed, Sound Ordnance B-8PT, FULID FILM Under Coat.
    how is the power lock kit holding up? i really want to do that for my reg cab, sick of reaching over to unlock passenger door.

14. Aug 16, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    eight08

Member:
    honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2012 reg. cab 4x4
    no problems!
    may have mentioned it before but i've used the same kit in my old truck and it worked great in that application as well. the install is important though (proper bracing, rod alignment, etc.)

15. Aug 17, 2012 at 6:56 AM
    TwzteD

TwzteD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    St Lucie Fl
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 reg cab Auto
    2013 4x4 reg cab, 2011 4runner sr5 rims, 265 general grabber at2's, 5100's All 4 corners with fronts at .85, De badged, Egr Rainguards, Led tail lights, Int wipers, fog lights, Trailer Hitch, POwer locks+ keyless entry, Extang Solidfold Bed Cover, WeatherTech Mats, Stubbie Antenna, Trd Skid Plate, Tint, Scanguage, Cargo net in bed, Sound Ordnance B-8PT, FULID FILM Under Coat.
    So does it unlock with a fob or when u unlock ur door the passenger door unlocks at the same time?

16. Aug 18, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    eight08

Member:
    honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2012 reg. cab 4x4
    It locks/unlocks with my fob(viper alarm). Alarm installer said it was possible to have dual stage but it would have cost much more.. so I just went with single - one press locks both doors, one press unlocks both. If I use the key on either door, both will respond - unlocking driver door will also open pass.

I installed the locks before I had the alarm installed.

17. Aug 18, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Sounds similar to mine (haven't installed it yet).
    It's a "central" lock/unlock kit.
    When either lock is operated, the other one follows.
    Can be programmed to lock when the truck is started.

Nice thing about the Taco, pull the door handle and it unlocks itself, which will unlock both doors with this system.

I bought the illuminated dash switch thinking I'd need it, but since it responds to the manual door lock/unlock lever, there's really no need for a switch on the dash or door.

18. Aug 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    Does anyone have a good recommendation for a keyless unlock/lock kit? with a remote, not an alarm but do I have to get an alarm first to have keyless entry via a remote?

I miss keyless entry just because I hate the stupid small scratches that will eventually get on my door and handle even though I'll do my best to take care of it,

19. Aug 23, 2012 at 5:56 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=W01F-712T

It's the same power kit as the OP, but with the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]AVI-2101 keyless system added.
    I bought the kit but have not had a chance to install it yet.

Keep in mind that this is a "central" lock/unlock kit, and responds to the position of the solenoid:

Unlock the door with the remote or key, both doors unlock
    Start the car (if you connected the IGN wire on the wireless module) and both doors lock
    Unlock the door with the manual flipper or by pulling the door handle, both doors unlock.

Same for locking... locking with the key, remote, or the little red tab on either door will lock both doors.
    There is no need for the optional door/dash switch.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

20. Aug 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    That's exactly what I am going to get,

Thanks for the heads up,

Let us know when you do the install, we all wanna see if you come up with anything better, faster, or the like.

Products Discussed in

To Top