Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Buying a 17 ft travel trailer for my truck. any advice

Old 03-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
JUJtacoma2010 is on a distinguished road
JUJtacoma2010's Tacoma Gallery
Buying a 17 ft travel trailer for my truck. any advice

I am buying a small travel trailer. This is my first one. This is the only forum I trust and so please by brother and sisters, give me some advice on that to look for when I buy this trailer. What paper work should I get from the owner. do I need a sway bar?

Appreciated all you guys help.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
stangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud of

stangkeip10's Tacoma Gallery
do you have any info on the camper? weight specifically? you're going to want a weight distribution hitch as well so keep that in mind.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
I tow a 18' camper it has duel axles with out a WD hitch but if some one gave me one I would use it. It does help with the "bucking bronco" effect on a rough road. They make aftermarket rear sway bar kits but I really don't think you need one. Mine loaded is around 3000#. The paper works is different from state to state so give your DMV a call or a trailer dealer. A bill of sale and a title would be a start usually the trailer is covered by your truck insurance coverage but that is some thing you'll have to check.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Please update this post as I am doing the same research. I am looking for a small one too . I can see myself taking the wife & son to a beach and park there a night or two a month.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
This looks like a nice trailer

http://livinlite.com/camplite-overview.php

I wonder how much they cost.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
gt40 is a glorious beacon of lightgt40 is a glorious beacon of lightgt40 is a glorious beacon of lightgt40 is a glorious beacon of lightgt40 is a glorious beacon of lightgt40 is a glorious beacon of light
Navy: BT5
gt40's Tacoma Gallery
A little advice if you buy a used trailer. Check out with the DMV to make sure that it does not have any money owed on it. If the owner does owe money on it make sure his note is paid off. If you pay him and he does not pay off the note they will come after the trailer which is you.

This is one that I am planning on buying. Very easy to set up and should be good for 4 people. A little tight, but is much easier than a pop up.

Check out the video and click on full screen.

http://www.pecocamping.com/2012-fore...pup-ga-i227438
Old 03-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
JUJtacoma2010 is on a distinguished road
JUJtacoma2010's Tacoma Gallery
I like that. looks nice, not too big and easy to setup. thanks for the advice on checking on with the dmv. I didnt know I had to do that. I always thought that if they had the pink slip for the trailer that I should be good to go.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is a 16 ft Scamp that weighs about 2500# loaded. I've towed it all over the western states on all kinds of roads. No WD hitch, and no problems. I like it because it is light weight, aerodynamic, and tows so easily. Leacks are almost a non-issue. It uses a single torsion axle. I highly prefer the torsion axle over a leaf spring. There are lots of good trailers though, so it just depends on what you want, and your intended use.