1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 conversion ?'s

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ericm40, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Mar 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    Ericm40

Ericm40 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    86 Chevy C10
    TC LCA Tabs
    I'd still want a manual t-case. If everything mounts up right, then I'll convert. Its not about being stubborn. Where's your sense of adventure?

2. Mar 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    After reading a little more on that link I posted, it looks like that guy went from stock 4x4 automatic Tacoma, and swapped in a stock FJ transfercase from an automatic FJ. The next thing I would think OP should be asking is whether or not the Prerunner Taco automatic can be made to accept a transfercase. If it can't, then can the FJ transmission and transfercase be swapped as a unit?

3. Mar 19, 2012 at 5:56 PM
    Ericm40

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    86 Chevy C10
    TC LCA Tabs
  4. Mar 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    Ericm40

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    86 Chevy C10
    TC LCA Tabs
    Thanks or the input, it's gonna be a big help.

5. Mar 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
  6. Mar 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    Ericm40

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    86 Chevy C10
    TC LCA Tabs
    I like that adaptor!!!!

7. Mar 19, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    If you go that route make sure you ask lots of questions and find out exactly what it's going to take to get that transfercase mounted. My uncle did this on an F150, he's been a mechanic for 30 years or so, knows a lot about Fords, and has had lots of transmissions apart. He said it was a challenge, and he went out and bought a manual specific to that transmission.

The way I read their statement, it sounds like you still have to buy a 4x4 tail housing and shaft? I would call them and ask. If you have to change the actual tail shaft, that's going to be a big deal if you haven't opened an auto trans before.

8. Mar 19, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    It's held on with only three bolts - but there's a bit of custom hardware with them and one of them is a weird 12mm :)eek:) allen wrench bolt -- all stuff you'll want to get when you obtain the differential and CV axles themselves. I've gotta think the pre-runner has the mounting points for those. I can't imagine it's worth the manufacturing headaches for toyota to have 4x4 vs. pre-runner specific frames to save 5 bucks worth of steel.

Why yes, I did pull my front differential out of my truck last weekend. Thanks for asking. :D

9. Mar 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff

i pulled mine out a few weeks ago to replace. wasnt hard, just time consuming and a pain in the ass to rotate in and out of its spot

10. Mar 20, 2012 at 12:10 AM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    i'm maybe 1/3 done with the conversion myself.

I paid $1500 for everything (used) from a truck that rolled over...t-case, trans, front diff, axles, wheel hubs, and all the electronics and wiring and plugs...spent about 30 hours pulling stuff off because the body was beat up a bit.

so far i've installed the front diff, axles, hubs and such. I have to cut down the extra driveshaft(from a DC LB) to fit my access cab.

Everything bolts up, even the trans adapter from 2wd to 4wd is modular so hanging up the t-case will be quick. The main challenge will be running the wires and connecting everything correctly. The 4wd computer sits behind the glovebox and further up.

The next part for me is to hang the t-case and swap over the y-pipe and then open up the dash and run all the wires.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, I owe $4500 left on my 07 and only have 47k miles.

I'm a mechanic myself so its all on my time.

I put up a thread on ttora and toyotanation a while back when I started the swap, but got busy with life and stuff.

The bottom line, hope you work out the price before you or have someone start the job...the cost of a brand new t-case is around $3k, just to give you an idea if you have to replace anything.

edit: was my thread. i'll get back on the ball of keeping it updated.

11. Mar 20, 2012 at 6:23 AM
    Brandon###

Brandon### Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^^Finally someone who isn't afraid to go out and get their hands dirty.

This swap can't be that bad. If I had a prerunner that was paid off, I'd be doing this as well.

My buddies did this with an F-250 and it turned out to be fairly straight forward. Sold the stock parts and came close to breaking even on the 4x4 parts.

4x4 is only a $1500 option, so let this be a lesson to the guys looking for Tacomas. Spend the extra money now, you won't have to do this later.

12. Mar 20, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    The thought has crossed my mind from time to time about trading up as well, the cost difference between 2wd and 4wd here is almost $4k

Products Discussed in

To Top