Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Which Bed Cover - Undercover Original Or SE

Old 03-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Rickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Pilot
Name: Rick
Rickochet's Tacoma Gallery
Which Bed Cover - Undercover Original Or SE

I am looking for a bed cover for my 09' Access cab with 6' bed. I just sold an Extang Solid Fold and was lookng for a one piece strut type cover. I like the Undercovers. A local dealer quoted the same price for either the original or the newer SE model. I like the idea of a single key/latch of the SE.

Any pro's or con's about either would be appreciated.

Rick
Old 03-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
TAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
TAOScott's Tacoma Gallery
Rick ..

Where in KY are you?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Oh. Bummer.
TastyHuman is a name known to allTastyHuman is a name known to allTastyHuman is a name known to allTastyHuman is a name known to allTastyHuman is a name known to allTastyHuman is a name known to all
TastyHuman's Tacoma Gallery
I believe the SEs are a little stronger in the hinge area. I had the regular crack at the hinges after lots of driving on gravel roads.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Rickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOScott View Post
Rick ..

Where in KY are you?
Frankfort
Old 03-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
TAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
TAOScott's Tacoma Gallery
The cover itself, no significant differences other than the design change to add the spoiler lip and switch to single long.

Hardware is where it's at. The Original is the old key-ring hinges. No one likes them. Over time the hinge plates loosen and even come off. They can be repaired to like new in most cases. On the SE, new hinge system all together. Quick on-off feature with a hand knob screw on each side. Top notch here.

So, go SE if you like the wing look.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
ja1970 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
ja1970's Tacoma Gallery
I have had the SE for about 18 months and love it.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:58 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOScott View Post
The cover itself, no significant differences other than the design change to add the spoiler lip and switch to single long.

Hardware is where it's at. The Original is the old key-ring hinges. No one likes them. Over time the hinge plates loosen and even come off. They can be repaired to like new in most cases. On the SE, new hinge system all together. Quick on-off feature with a hand knob screw on each side. Top notch here.

So, go SE if you like the wing look.
Thanks for the info Scott.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked 2007 View Post
SE is the way to go
Thanks to everyone for the input. I ordered the SE Thursday and had it installed on Friday. What a nice bed cover. I really wanted one of these three years ago and the salesdude talked me into an Extang Solid Fold. I really like the looks of the SE and the single lock. It looks like it can be easily removed if needed.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
jophiteer11 is on a distinguished road
jophiteer11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Thanks to everyone for the input. I ordered the SE Thursday and had it installed on Friday. What a nice bed cover. I really wanted one of these three years ago and the salesdude talked me into an Extang Solid Fold. I really like the looks of the SE and the single lock. It looks like it can be easily removed if needed.
you didn't like the extang?
Old 05-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jophiteer11 View Post
you didn't like the extang?
The Extang Solid Fold I got had all of the bed seals cut poorly and they left 1/2" gaps on the the tailgate seal. The cover leaked like strainer. Also the paint was super frail and chipped off very easily. It was an expensive POS. I am much more pleased with the Undercover SE.