1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tarp question....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Pster, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Mar 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    Pster

Pster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    I have a bed full of furniture that I need to take to my daughter....it is going to rain...no doubt.....if I get a tarp large enough to cover the bed and furniture and wrap over the sides and back about 12 inches, what is the best way to tie it down to the truck? I've NEVER done this before.....bungee cords hooked under the fenders? Any suggestions or experience would be helpful, Thanks! Phil

2. Mar 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    Get a tarp big enough to lay down first,set the furniture on top and wrap the tarp over once and tie down one side

3. Mar 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Like a......gasp....taco?

4. Mar 20, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    RMAN808

RMAN808 S)(AKALO)(AWAII

Member:
    First Name:
    Reid
    Pearl City, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD OR 4X4 Quicksand
    :laugh:

5. Mar 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    JEP

JEP Resident Lurker

Member:
    Madison
    Vehicle:
    15 DBL V6 4WD
    N-fabs, BakFlip VP, power tailgate lock, bed lights, "raptor" grill lights. Standard mall crawler stuff.
    :rofl:

6. Mar 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    either that get a length of rope long enough to wrap around the base of the furniture and tuck the ends of the tarp as far under the furniture as you can

7. Mar 20, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    I usually do the same idea, but have the folds across the front, and tie down the back to the rear D rings, and bungee the side grommets toward the rear. This makes sure the wind can't lift the front end, and keeps flapping to a minimum. If done right, both will work great.

8. Mar 20, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    ScreamingTaco

ScreamingTaco Huge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    Goodyear Duratracs, TRD cat-back exhaust, bed tool box, bed extender.
    If you wrap it over the sides of the bed the tie downs will wear at the paint... particularly if you use bungee cords.

9. Mar 20, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    good times..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry to continue thread jacking...

i would secure all the furniture as you normal would, then put a tarp over everything and secure that separately with bungees however you can.. i would try to use bungees that have a covering (not just rubber straps) that way they don't rubb and scratch. i would think you have no choice but to hook them under the truck on whatever is secure

10. Mar 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    DunhamAll

DunhamAll Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '12 Access cab, MT, TRD OR
    Rear diff. breather, BHLM, Wet Okoles.
    Use a bungee net/spider web. 20 bucks at autozone, and the best 20 bucks you'll ever spend outside a strip club.

11. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:00 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    I need it to be water proof. Don't think this will work. I actually have the Bed Net, a heavy duty version of a spider net.

12. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:17 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If you need it to be waterproof, use 2 tarps. Lay the first one down, wrap it up and tie/bungee over the top of the cargo on all sides. Then lay the other tarp over the top so it overlaps the bottom tarp and tie down tight. I wouldn't put the tarp over the bed sides, that's asking for some scratched paint. To tie down the top tarp, use bungees and rope in the tarp's eye holes and a strap or rope over the top to keep it from flapping around in the wind.

Even if you did put one tarp over the bed sides, water will find it's way in and sit on the bottom of the bed. In my opinion, best bet for keeping things waterproof is 2 tarps.

13. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:23 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    This is pretty close to what I decided to do. I have an 8x10 tarp that will slip down between the bed and cab. I can overlap the side of the truck and pull it down tight using short (yellow) bungee cords with plastic coated hooks - they are strong and won't scratch the truck.

14. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:31 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    It's not necessarily the bungees I'd be worried about scratching the truck, it's the tarp flapping against the bed sides. If you're set on wrapping the tarp over the sides of the truck, you might want to consider using a couple strips of blue painter's tape where the edge of the tarp meets the bed sides. At speed, the tarp edge flaps some, over the time of a couple hours on the highway, it can wear through your clear coat.

15. Mar 22, 2012 at 7:42 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    i wonder if you could rig a blanket or sheet between the tarp and paint.

this whole thing is no easy task, haha. you should make a how to thread and take pictures as you do it.

16. Mar 22, 2012 at 7:44 PM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    LMFAO.....

17. Mar 23, 2012 at 3:56 AM
    DunhamAll

DunhamAll Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '12 Access cab, MT, TRD OR
    Rear diff. breather, BHLM, Wet Okoles.
    You enclose the bed in the tarps, use the net overtop. The bungee net doesnt let the tarp move or flap around to open a seam.

I drove across country like this through two storms, my crap in the back stayed dry.

Products Discussed in

To Top