Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone want to answer a stupid question about lifts?

Old 03-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone want to answer a stupid question about lifts?

I think I know just enough about lifts to get confused and ask truly ridiculous questions.

I'm pretty sure I'm going I get a 2-3" suspension lift. I was planning on a slightly taller tire on the stock rims to start with (and if I'm unhappy with the look I can change the wheels around later) Someone mentioned to me that, while lifts are really cool, you aren't changing the height of the axles (unless you start messing with wheel size, I guess).

Now I'm confused. You get more clearance under the truck as a whole but your limiting factor on clearance will still be axle height, which is not being raised by the lift?

So if the axles are essentially the same height, how is that an advantage if you are off roading?

Does that question even make sense? What am I missing here? Help me!
Old 03-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
Toyota Dealer Technician
1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
1GR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to 1GR
A lift will give you a better clearance at the center of the truck, and at front and rear bumpers.. But you will not have better clearance over say, a rock that you are driving over that is inbetween your wheels. In order to clear said rock, you need bigger tires. Going from a 30" tire to a 33" tire, will give you roughly 1.5" more axle clearance, along with overall clearance. A 2-3" lift will give you 2-3" overall clearance, but nothing at the axle.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Sure. Any suspension lift, even with the exact same size tires, will increase your

approach angle

departure angle

breakover angle

and increase total clearance over large obstacles that you traverse by "putting a wheel on it."

Also, here's a similar answer I posted in response to a similar thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ml#post3749601
Old 03-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethes View Post
I think I know just enough about lifts to get confused and ask truly ridiculous questions.

I'm pretty sure I'm going I get a 2-3" suspension lift. I was planning on a slightly taller tire on the stock rims to start with (and if I'm unhappy with the look I can change the wheels around later) Someone mentioned to me that, while lifts are really cool, you aren't changing the height of the axles (unless you start messing with wheel size, I guess).

Now I'm confused. You get more clearance under the truck as a whole but your limiting factor on clearance will still be axle height, which is not being raised by the lift?

So if the axles are essentially the same height, how is that an advantage if you are off roading?

Does that question even make sense? What am I missing here? Help me!
Yes putting taller tires raises the height of the axles, most lifts do not. For off road purposes, having the body of the truck is good because it allows you to go up and over more obstacles. Many folks get armor plating to protect things like th differential and front lower control arms. Yes, lift is good but even with the lift we still have to be aware of what rocks and whatnot could hurt the axles and such. It means thinking out what line we want to take through a particular area as not to hurt the truck.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bethes's Tacoma Gallery
^^ thanks for the link to the other thread. I tried searching but didn't see that.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
My $0.02

Lift = Less down travel
Old 03-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
tacomalex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
My $0.02

Lift = Less down travel
not if you get longer shocks
Old 03-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomalex View Post
Old 03-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

regardless of shocks more lift = less down travel. it is a fact.

a stock height truck with extended shocks will offer more down travel then lifted truck with same shocks

the lca's of both will be at the same angle but the distance to get there with the stock truck will be greater then one starting 3" lower
Old 03-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
Toyota Dealer Technician
1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
1GR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to 1GR
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Old 03-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
tacomalex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
regardless of shocks more lift = less down travel. it is a fact.

a stock height truck with extended shocks will offer more down travel then lifted truck with same shocks

the lca's of both will be at the same angle but the distance to get there with the stock truck will be greater then one starting 3" lower
so you're saying a mid travel set-up that yields 3" of lift has less down travel than a stock tacoma? or a long travel set up that yields 3" of lift has less down travel than stock?

now a normal lift like mine (OME lift, LR UCA's) I don't know for a fact, I'd have to compare measurements from a stock tacoma to mine to check, so I'm not gonna argue on that front

I'm just saying what you stated is a bit ridiculous.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so you're saying a mid travel set-up that yields 3" of lift has less down travel than a stock tacoma? or a long travel set up that yields 3" of lift has less down travel than stock?

now a normal lift like mine (OME lift, LR UCA's) I don't know for a fact, I'd have to compare measurements from a stock tacoma to mine to check, so I'm not gonna argue on that front

I'm just saying what you stated is a bit ridiculous.

lol....is it really?

It's simple geometry with a little subtraction and addition

Ex.
Stock: start at reg ride height and it takes 10" to max out down travel

Lifted 3": start at ride height and it takes 7" to max out down travel

(My travel numbers are purely for simulation)

Unless you have personally figured out a way that no other company or fabricator has to stop CV's, tie rods, LCA's, UCA's from binding or hitting the CO's Ill stand by my theory. I am not talking about advanced lifts costing tens of thousands of dollars that replace the entire IFS and require heavy modification to the truck.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
My $0.02

Lift = Less down travel
Very true unless you go LT.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hey OP I hope we answered your question despite goin off on a tangent
Old 03-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
but but but, you get more up travel?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
Señorita Member

bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
Hey OP I hope we answered your question despite goin off on a tangent

I got it, thanks. And I kinda love the limited attention span on TW. I feel at home with all the ADHD folks here.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
I got it, thanks. And I kinda love the limited attention span on TW. I feel at home with all the ADHD folks here.
Oh, you mean like how we talk abo.....OHHH! Wait! What's that shiny thing????
Old 03-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #18
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You should also know that a lift does not mean you can fit larger tires.
Many people believe that if they lift their truck with suspension and it sits higher they can fit a larger tire. That is false. You will still maintain the same amount of up travel only your tire diameter will be larger so in theory you will hit the fenders worse when full articulated. A lifted truck has the same limits as a non lifted truck in regards to up travel - the bump stop. If you modify your bump stops to limit your up travel then it is true that a lift can fit a larger tire, but it seems most forget to ever mention that.

In a perfect world max droop and stuff is key. IMO a extended travel shock with 1-2" of lift would be great for a budget lift that wants maximum travel, but then a whole ton of other things need to be considered.

In closing if you just want the lift and tires so the truck looks cool disregard everything I have said because it doesn't matter.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #19
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Take a look at this link OP http://www.4x4review.com/Features/Te...7/Default.aspx
Old 03-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #20
Señorita Member

bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
snip

In closing if you just want the lift and tires so the truck looks cool disregard everything I have said because it doesn't matter.
Some light off roading and some crazy dirt roads that aren't that different from light off roading. I actually had some clearance problems getting to a work location so the time has come for a lift. I love my truck but I'm not paying for a lift just so it will look pretty