1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MPG MOD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by xgalvanxgx, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Mar 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    xgalvanxgx

xgalvanxgx [OP] seymour butts

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerardo
    OC (Lake Forest) California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road BlackSandPearl 07 PreRunner
    DTF Race Kit with 2.5 x 10 Kings, DMZ SUA rear with 16" triple bypass Kings, King bumpstops front and rear, 17" KMC RG1 powdered in Matte Bronze with black ring with 37" BFG KO2s, front and rear DTF bumpers, front Fiberwerx glass and Mcneil trophy bedsides, K&N 77 Series Intake, Magnaflow, Pioneer touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub with box and amp. Dyanamat walls, Andres' devil horn emblem, 50" D4 curved LED bar, rear chase light rack (brake, ambers, white lights) Engine brace, deleted inner wheel wells for max up travel. Cab roll rage built into bedcage.
    quick question. so i just installed some 285's on my taco with a 3" spacer lift. :D looks beautiful! i was just wondering if i install those air filters (afe) how much MPG's would i really be saving? before i believe i was 19 city and 21 highway.

2. Mar 24, 2012 at 9:40 AM
    Tythias

Tythias Active Member

Member:
  3. Mar 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    I think you'll get a little more high end power, but as far as mpg, you won't be able to notice...

4. Mar 24, 2012 at 9:47 AM
    xgalvanxgx

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerardo
    Vehicle:
    DTF Race Kit with 2.5 x 10 Kings, DMZ SUA rear with 16" triple bypass Kings, King bumpstops front and rear, 17" KMC RG1 powdered in Matte Bronze with black ring with 37" BFG KO2s, front and rear DTF bumpers, front Fiberwerx glass and Mcneil trophy bedsides, K&N 77 Series Intake, Magnaflow, Pioneer touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub with box and amp. Dyanamat walls, Andres' devil horn emblem, 50" D4 curved LED bar, rear chase light rack (brake, ambers, white lights) Engine brace, deleted inner wheel wells for max up travel. Cab roll rage built into bedcage.
    does anyone know the average mpg's with 285's?

5. Mar 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    fuelly.com

6. Mar 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    You tell us, you have them.

7. Mar 24, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Other threads asking this. The aftermarket air intakes don't give you better gas mileage.

8. Mar 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Your stock air intake is already a cold air intake because of its location in the side fender. You may feel a little bit of hp increase using the butt dyno by adding an aftermarket filter but if you get an oiled filter such as the K&N then the MPG's will plummet, or at least mine did. You truly won't get much gain from a filter replacement because of the way modern fuel injection works. You can have a filter clogged to the point where it will literally pop and come apart the computer and fuel injectors will adjust to the amount of air coming in to allow for the best power and fuel economy depending on how you drive it. The best MPG mod is to keep your foot out of it and rpm's around or under 2k revs.

9. Mar 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    My truck with stock tires was 18-19 mpg with 285 BFG's it was about 15-16 mpg, now with 35" tires it's about 13 mpg.
    But remember that you need to take into account tire brand, wheel type, actual diameter, etc.... it is NEVER comparing "Apples to Apples" No one's truck will be exactly like yours!!

Also you will need to re-calibrate you stock speed ratio to match your tires size or the number means "Jack Crap!"

Example:
    My 35" tires actually is getting 15-16 mpg after all the calculations. So from stock I dropped 2 mpg. Real world milage.

Each rotation of the 35" tires cover more distance then the smaller stock tires. Also the engines rpm to actual speed is lower, so at highway speed at the same rpm I cover more distance then a stock truck.

But stop and go driving there is a higher load due to the larger size tire.

If that's not confusing enough?

Smaller tires with heavier wheels vs larger tires with light alloy wheels. The difference maybe a wash! It depends on many different factors!

My best advice if you're gonna loose sleep over mpg??

Leave it stock or buy a kia!

No sense having a pimp'd out ride and it causes you stress in the wallet!

10. Mar 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Toku dropping knowledge, as usual. ;)

Track at least your next 3 tanks and you'll have a good idea. Only way you'll know what your ride with you behind the wheel will get.

11. Mar 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The AFE will most likely hurt MPG.
    Not because of anything it does, but because you'll like the sound and end up mashing the "go pedal" more.

90% of fuel economy is in your right leg.

12. Mar 24, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    surfrat

surfrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    LI, NY
    icon coilover, total chaos UCA, allpr expo, icon 2.0 rear,wet okole
    click my fuely... interesting idea about the K&N making mpg worse..

13. Mar 24, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    xgalvanxgx

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerardo
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys! Hopefully my baby doesnt drive me too hard or back to stock wheels and tires it is. :) :/

14. Mar 26, 2012 at 8:58 PM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    Hey Eric! Long time no talk! How's things in your neck of the woods! I hardly come around the Tacoma forums these days. Busy with life!:D
    Hope all is well!

15. Mar 27, 2012 at 3:43 AM
    4x4Taco2012

4x4Taco2012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Huntingdon Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB Limited 4x4
    TRD lift, TRD SEMA wheels, TRD skid plate, TRD Pro fog lights, TRD Heritage Grill, OEM bed cover, LT275/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws, OEM bed lights, OEM all weather floor mats, OEM door skid plates, OEM mud guards, OEM bed mat, Black lug nuts

He nailed it!

16. Mar 27, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    Try and get rid of all the unnessary wieght that you might carry around. I carry a bunch of stuff the I think I might need sometime and it kills my gas mileage. Also as stated above try and keep the revs below 2k.

17. Mar 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM
    late apex

late apex New Member

Member:
    This is true, apparently the stock air box is maximized for fuel economy on these later taco's. I have had an AFE Pro Dry for 4ish months.

18. Mar 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    You can get the same results by removing the secondary filter in the stock air box.

19. Mar 27, 2012 at 11:21 PM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    I've replaced the air filter in my last few cars with a K&N with varying results, but always figuring worse case scenario I'd at least save in not replacing air filters.

My first ranger had a weak six, and I had to keep down shifting on every small hill on the highway. The filter eliminated that, so I did get a couple of ponies. No noticeable difference in mileage. It fit my next Ranger with the bigger 6, so I never drove it without. No idea on the effect.

The Tribute, Civic si and Mazda5 we had after that, I think there may have been a very slight performance improvement, but it could have just as easily been a placebo/wishful thinking effect. My wife's Kia Sedona is getting about 2 1/2 more mpg with it, which is nice given the amount of travelling we do in "the Behemoth".

My V6 Mustang got a cold air. The original air box drew from inside the wheel well, so it was essentially a CAI. However, there was an almost 180 degree bend in the tube, and the inlet was about an inch and a half. After I installed the after market CAI, I did get more power, but my mileage went up by 7mpg! (based on on average increase in distance traveled on a tank of 100+ kms).

Looking through the site, there doesn't seem to be a consensous on the effects of performance filters or CAI. But my personal experience has been, "Depends". But I agree with toku58, I was aware of my mileage when I bought it. But I didn't expect to be able to increase the mileage. If I do, bonus. If I don't, then I guess I'll just have to slow down so the ladies can check out my awesome...

20. Mar 28, 2012 at 1:34 AM
    !TacoTaco!

!TacoTaco! TACO LOVER!

Member:
    First Name:
    Felix
    PSL, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD SR5 Sport
    Removed coal filter, Also installed AFE air filter. Roof rack with custom diamond plate air diverter.
    Control your right foot, I did and I removed secondary filter and added AFE filter and I got 21 MPG.
    I also do mostly city driving. Everything else is stock on my truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top