1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration on Brake Pedal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by OverRated, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Mar 28, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    DeeKay

DeeKay New Member

Member:
    Oakland Ca.
    Vehicle:
    11' DCSB 4x4 Off Road
    OK, I've been lurking around long enough. Seems like good a good time to join in.

Although I drive a 2011, I had the EXACT same problem with the vibration in the brake pedal with almost the same blow-off attitude from the dealer.

It is not the warped rotor 'Pulse' type vibration. The vibration has a shorter wavelength or higher frequency feel, very much similar to a cell phone vibration. Also, the vibration happened in full stop, in every gear, park neutral reverse drive 4-3-2-L 4x4 high and low with locker. It seemed to happen every 2nd or 3rd time you pressed on the pedal. You could especially feel it when you depress the brake pedal to get the tranny out of park.

The weird thing is it started shortly after the maintenance required light came on at 10,000 mi. The vibration started almost 10,200mi on the dot.
    I thought something happened over night because I left the e-brake off. I was staying a couple of nights in Lake Tahoe and I've gotten my e-brakes stuck before from the cold (other car).

My wife noticed it soon after and asked me if I had dropped my cell phone on the floor, and soon after my son said he could hear a buzzing noise when I came to a stop. For a second I thought I was going nuts.

The more I drove the more the amplitude seem to increase. I don't know if it was because I was more aware of the vibration or not, but it was now audible in all seats.

I took the truck to the dealer Monday 3-26-12 for the 10,000 and the vibration. I showed the service rep the vibration and his exact words were
    "Wow, that's really weird. That definitely is not normal."

Some 9 hours later I get the truck back and I talk to the same service rep, and he basically tells me that this is normal behavior for trucks with the electromechanical assisted power brakes. He then tells me that the vibration was there the whole time and I just now noticed it. I almost lost control and wanted to hurt someone at that time. To make matters worse, the tech who worked on my truck only rotated 2 tires, they didn't know I mark my tires. Everyone at that dealer treated me like I was an idiot and had no clue what so ever. oops getting off topic here..sorry.

Good thing is the vibration is now gone and I have done some poking around. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the Toyota moved from vacuum assist to electromechanical somewhere around 2010.

At Toyota my BS meter was at Defcon 1 and I believe they are hiding something, just by their behavior. Just by the timing (maintenance required light) of the start of the vibration, is it possible that Toyota has done this on purpose so that folks get scared and drive to the dealer ASAP? Or are they just covering something up? Or should I just STFU and be cool about it.

OP, is the vibration still there after you got it back from dealer? Sorry....have not read all the post yet.

2. Mar 28, 2012 at 10:25 PM
    OverRated

OverRated [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma / TRD-OR / DCSB
    ya i am still getting the vibration... i almost lost it too when i was told that "i am just barley noticing it now" (to me, that was like saying im a fuckin idiot). I do find that they are hiding something because 1st i was told that the master tech compared my car to another car on the lot and it does the same thing but when i asked to be shown that another tacoma has the same vibration they hesitated and told me not all cars have the brake system that i have and that it is very rare...

really ticked off, i filed a complaint and have a case number with Toyota just waiting on the reply now..

3. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:06 AM
    GP3

GP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road
    Front: stock suspension, 12" wide fiberglass fenders Rear: stock suspension, 10" wide fiberglass fenders
    It has been around since 2005.

4. Mar 29, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    DeeKay

DeeKay New Member

Member:
    Oakland Ca.
    Vehicle:
    11' DCSB 4x4 Off Road
    ^^^ thanks, I guess I should of read all the post more carefully. My bad. And thanks for the PDF's. The vibrations are gone and the dealer has said nothing about doing anything described in the PDFs.

From what I've read people are saying this is normal, but to me this is anything but. I didn't pay for a $30k 4x4 foot massager. When passengers in my truck say they could hear the vibrations, something is going on, and your not having a automotive hypochondriac type episode.

Dave, good luck with the complaint, and I hope you get this this resolved. Keep us posted with developments.

On a lighter note, maybe they're only targeting people named David. (I'm a Dave too)

5. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    OverRated

OverRated [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma / TRD-OR / DCSB
    Well i figured i give a update. Was shown a 2012 v6 4.0L TRD-Off Road with the same issue so it is normal.. I guess it is something I got to get used to.

6. Apr 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    Bama Yota

Bama Yota New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cullen
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4, TRD/OR
    I just purchased a 2012 4x4 and am having the same problem. Every second or third time I press the brake the buzzing starts. I contacted my local Toyota dealership and the guy said he has never heard of this problem. I'm taking my truck on Thursday 4/12 and will let everyone know what they tell me.

7. Apr 9, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    jprovence

jprovence Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Albany
    Vehicle:
    11' Tacoma TRD
    Stock
    My brakes make a slight buzzing noise too when braking. I'm pretty sure this is normal. The truck stops perfectly fine.

8. Apr 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    Bama Yota

Bama Yota New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cullen
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4, TRD/OR
    Ok, just got my truck back from the dealer. The dealer says that Toyota installed a new type of braking system in the 2012 Tacomas. They said this is normal and the reason I'm hearing the noise is because the braking system is so close to the cab on the firewall. They tested a new Tacoma and it did the same thing. So, I guess I'll have to get used to the buzzing or turn my radio up loud. I would think Toyota would recognize this as a potential problem and issue a recall. We'll see.

9. May 13, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    tomwilson74

tomwilson74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD double cab OR
    OME 3” lift Mickey Thompson Classic III Wheels
    I have a 2012 TRD Off Road and it has a similar problem. I can't hear the brakes but just feel a vibration when I hit the brake pedal. I have 4800 miles on it and it has done it since it was new. It's just a rough vibration when the pedal is engaged. ??

10. May 14, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    stanhope

stanhope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB O/R
    Toytec Alum 2.5”, OEM roof rack, OEM skid plate, Leer shell
    My truck has 1200 miles on it and I'm getting something similar. It almost feels like ABS is kicking in and the pedal has resistance in it. There is definitely some vibration, but mostly a slight resistance.

I plan to bring it up to the dealer at my first service.

11. Jun 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    jacksonville

jacksonville New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tacoma 6cyl 4x4
    Think I'm having the same problem, although my vehicle isn't nearly as new. Just had a bunch of work done by Firestone as nobody except the dealer would be able to do it.
    Replaced the R.R. axle seals, bearings, lock collar, and had the shoes and pads all done. Finally after waiting almost 18 hours I have my vehicle back.

When I was leaving the parking lot, (making sure that my first experience with Firestone's mechanic capabilities wasn't my wheels falling off.) I SLOWLY started to depress the brake pedal and then it began to vibrate.
    To keep the analogy pg-13 [​IMG] it feels like I'm stepping on a video game controller while it's vibrating.
    At the same time I could hear a very distinct very audible noise. Sounds like a electric motor turning on. Kind of like the MC's motor had air in it and was working it through the system. If I press the pedal harder it does the same thing but the noise suddenly stops and the pedal drops about an inch.
    I was a bit perplexed by this and pulled a U-turn. Stopping back into Firestone, I asked about the problem. They said they did notice it. (yet didn't mention a thing to me [​IMG]) Claiming they bled the brakes properly they suggested a ABS Diagnostic free of charge. Not sure what to think but it seems most forums are saying it's most likely is the MC. I'm having the diagnostic done tomorrow morning, will post a update then.

12. Jun 5, 2012 at 5:34 AM
    jacksonville

jacksonville New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tacoma 6cyl 4x4
    Alright, back from Firestone once again. They supposedly ran the diagnostic and told me it wasn't the MC going bad. Instead, they're now telling me it's definitely that "ABS Sensor Ring" not being set correctly.
    After some readjustment I'm still having the same problem, but it's not as frequent.
    They told me, "If we adjust it any more the ABS light will be set off. The sensor probably has to get used to the new ring. Drive it for a week and if it's still vibrating come back and we'll check it again."
    Not sure about how accurate that statement is (or even if they ran the diagnostic like they said. Couldn't really see into the shop that well). I guess I'll see if what they told me was accurate by the end of the week.

13. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    stanhope

stanhope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB O/R
    Toytec Alum 2.5”, OEM roof rack, OEM skid plate, Leer shell
    sounds almost logical...I have a 2012 and it was pretty significant when I left the lot in it. Now it has about 3k miles and it's very faint and almost un-noticable.

14. Jun 30, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    Dobri56

Dobri56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2012 trd sport longbed
    Smitty Bull bar, PIAA 540, MBRP turn down exhaust, Tractor trailer tool box. Black headlight mod, fog light mod, TRD seat covers, tacoma floor mats, Recon under tailgate light
    ok my 2012 has 3400 miles on it and does this same thing. This really pissed me off my 09 6 speed did nothing like this it feels as the the rotors are warped. I know that I need to get my tires rebalanced because i'm having the steering wheel shake around 48-65 but man this really pisses me off if its something to "get used too" Thats just BS

15. Jun 30, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    guys,

some of you may also be experiencing axle wrap or warped rotors as well, make sure your truck in fact DOES have the electronic braking mechanism located in the top right corner of the picture the OP posted. i get a vibration in my brake pedal sometimes as well but only at certain speeds and i have an AAL pack. if this is happening, and you dont have the electronic braking mechanism, torque your U-bolts to 90lbs and check.

16. Nov 19, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    GotATacoSuprme

GotATacoSuprme in Tampa

Member:
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR
    I feel this brake pedal vibration in my 2011 TRD OR. It is super annoying, and just like everyone else the dealer says it is normal. Has anyone heard of toyota issuing a recall for this?

17. Nov 19, 2014 at 10:34 PM
    bwp

bwp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 Evergreen SR5 4x4 Access Cab V6
    I have 2005 offroad. Bought my truck at about 84k miles. Started noticing it a few k later while i had my truck. It only does it at a certain rpm range and then it goes away when coming to a complete stop. Thought it was my rear drums, after replacing rear drums and pads and adjusted, the feeling of it coming from the rear went away but still have a slight vibration in the petal. Abs works good and my truck stops good, just annoying.

18. Dec 6, 2014 at 7:29 PM
    Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Member:
    Hell TW, seeking advice.
    I recently returned from a trip to the Sierra. While there I noticed a vibration started when I applied the brake pedal. The vibration occurs about 3/4 of the distance as I push the brake pedal. It's a subtle vibration but is definitely noticeable and annoying. I also noticed what sounds like a small electric motor turning on under the hood that lasts for 3-4 seconds when I apply the brakes. I never felt this vibration prior to this trip which is weird. Once I returned I immediately checked out TW to see if this was a common problem. Sounds like a few people have experienced this, but why did it start all of a sudden? If the truck is off, key out of the ignition and I pump the brake, the sound and vibration does not happen. If I turn the key to the on position (car running or not) and pump the brake, it happens. When driving, It happens just about every time I pump the brakes. It doesn't seam normal to me. Any suggestions or ideas on the cause? I'm taking the truck to the dealership in a couple of days but honestly I don't trust dealerships. It's a 2014 OR DCSB and is still under warranty.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  19. Dec 7, 2014 at 6:53 AM
    GotATacoSuprme

GotATacoSuprme in Tampa

Member:
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR
    I just took mine to the dealer this week. The tech notes that the the brake booster came on every time he pressed the brake pedal. He said that is not normal and recommended a brake bleed. I asked if I could do it myself, d-ship said this is not a DIY since they have to flush using the computer and reset it. I didn't do it at the time since I had to go, but apparently it's $200.

20. Dec 8, 2014 at 9:11 AM
    Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Member:
    Intersting! Thanks for the info!

Products Discussed in

To Top