Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Vibration on Brake Pedal

Old 03-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
OverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud of
Name: David
OverRated's Tacoma Gallery
Vibration on Brake Pedal

I have a 2012 Tacoma with 4,000 miles on it and the brake pedal started vibrating whenever I press on the brakes. Took it into Toyota and they tried to tell me that it isn't covered in the warranty.. boy did I blow up on them

Anyways I wanted to see if anyone is having a similar problem? The service guy at Toyota told me that it is due to warped rotors and that it isn't covered under warranty but i've had warped rotors before and it was nothing like this. Even when my truck is in PARK and I press on the brakes the pedal would vibrate about 3-5 seconds. Long story short, I have to take it back in tomorrow so the "master tech" can take a look at the truck since the service guy had no idea what the problem is.. Also was told that they would have to call Toyota and see what they can do about the problem and if Toyota will warranty it.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds like a possible issue with pedal feedback from the anti-lock brake system. The ABS system shouldn't be kicking in every time you press the brake pedal though. I wonder if there could be air in the system?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
OverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud of
Well I took it into Toyota and the reply is that the brake setup that my model have is a "electronic brake" so therefore when i push on the brake to build up pressure it'll vibrate.

My question is why didn't it do that before when I purchased the car.. I had the master tech walk me around to find a car with the same brake setup as I did.. While doing that he took me to a Tundra V8 (1st GEN) as if I was some idiot and told me its going to be hard finding a model like mine with that brake setup. So I picked out a random TACOMA and had him popped the hood and hey it was one with the same electronic brake setup yet this one didn't have that vibration that I had. He still kept to his word and said he felt it on the 4th press of the brake but I didn't feel shit and I am 100% that there wasn't any vibration to it at all! So I had enough arguing with the master tech since we weren't resolving anything. I'm also sure I am just being pushed over due to my young age and I am sure as hell reporting this to the Bureau of Automotive and seeing what actions can be done.

Also can other 2012 owners chime in, if you have a electronic brake setup please let me know if you have the same issue or not? I was told ALL electronic brake setups does this. The brake pump is located on the left hand (drive side) top corner as seen below.

Electric pump brakes

Vacuum pump brakes
Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
Toyota Dealer Technician
1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
1GR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to 1GR
Let me look into this thoroughly. I will contact you soon.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
My wife's Ford Escape Hybrid is an electronic brake system and there is no vibration in its pedal even after 120k miles.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
Tuctaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Todd
Tuctaco's Tacoma Gallery
No problem so far here. 1800 miles
Old 03-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
forana will become famous soon enoughforana will become famous soon enough
forana's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2012 and have no vibrations. Don't let this one go, doesn't sound normal. Tell Toyota that since you reported the issue to them, some liability lies with them in the case of an accident.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverRated View Post
I have a 2012 Tacoma with 4,000 miles on it and the brake pedal started vibrating whenever I press on the brakes. Took it into Toyota and they tried to tell me that it isn't covered in the warranty.. boy did I blow up on them
Don't blame you for blowing up.
Bumper to bumper 3/36 and with 4000 miles there is no question it would be covered.
I hate it when they talk through their ass like that. There should be no vibration at anytime unless it's abs feedback. Wish i could help ya but your a little far from me.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Anyways I wanted to see if anyone is having a similar problem? The service guy at Toyota told me that it is due to warped rotors and that it isn't covered under warranty but i've had warped rotors before and it was nothing like this. Even when my truck is in PARK and I press on the brakes the pedal would vibrate about 3-5 seconds. Long story short, I have to take it back in tomorrow so the "master tech" can take a look at the truck since the service guy had no idea what the problem is.. Also was told that they would have to call Toyota and see what they can do about the problem and if Toyota will warranty it.
It sounds like your hydraulic brake booster pump (what you are calling "electric pump brakes") is purging and/or running too often.

When I first start my truck (2007 w/ hydraulic brake booster), it will purge the system for 3-5 seconds vibrating the pedal and making a faint electric motor sound, but will not do it again until I shut the truck off and restart.

Let me see what I can find via the FSM.

EDIT: I attached some info from a 2006 FSM. It was the only year I could find online at the moment.

1.pdf: "Noise from hydraulic brake booster (Abnormal pump motor operation noise)"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1.pdf (35.0 KB, 146 views)
File Type: pdf 43.pdf (275.0 KB, 113 views)
Old 03-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post
It sounds like your hydraulic brake booster pump (what you are calling "electric pump brakes") is purging and/or running too often.

When I first start my truck (2007 w/ hydraulic brake booster), it will purge the system for 3-5 seconds vibrating the pedal and making a faint electric motor sound, but will not do it again until I shut the truck off and restart.

Let me see what I can find via the FSM.

EDIT: I attached some info from a 2006 FSM. It was the only year I could find online at the moment.

1.pdf: "Noise from hydraulic brake booster (Abnormal pump motor operation noise)"
Thanks this is very helpful!!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
spithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
Mine started vibrating after I did my S/C install. Haven't thought of playing with it since the truck shakes a little more with the supercharger installed but I am going to do a quick look through this weekend to make sure everything is okay
Old 03-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
huh...not to derail the topic, but what are we talking about? never seen this set up before.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
Toyota Dealer Technician
1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
1GR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to 1GR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81shark View Post
huh...not to derail the topic, but what are we talking about? never seen this set up before.
Most Tacoma's come with a Vacuum booster for the braking system, some come with a hydraulic booster instead (electronic).
Old 03-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #14
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR View Post
Most Tacoma's come with a Vacuum booster for the braking system, some come with a hydraulic booster instead (electronic).
Correct.

Some 2005-2008 4x4 Off Road's have the hydraulic booster (optional), all 2009+ 4X4 Off Road's have the hydraulic booster.

All other models have a vacuum booster.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #15
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
what's so special about this hydraulic booster? just curious. thanks in advance
Old 03-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Vacuum pump brakes
Mine looks like this. 2007 SR5, no fancy brake boosters.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #17

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81shark View Post
what's so special about this hydraulic booster? just curious. thanks in advance
ATRAC/DAC/HAC/etc.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post
ATRAC/DAC/HAC/etc.
SHHHHH, you'll bring DK to this thread
Old 03-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #19
graywolf2011 is on a distinguished road
graywolf2011's Tacoma Gallery
They told you warped rotors were not covered under factory warranty?
Old 03-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #20
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I had my rotors replaced under warranty 2 months before my 3 year bumper to bumper expired on my '09