Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rides better loaded?

Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
Rides better loaded?

I had a bike in the back of the bed this weekend after a while and noticed how smooth the truck rode with the load (~500 lbs) compared to without. I have the TSB leafs and Billies up front and when unloaded, it just bounces around too much compared to how planted and steady it feels loaded.

Any remedies to help it ride better while unloaded?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
ScreamingTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sandbags.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
What rear shocks do you have? I suspect not matching billies the way you worded that, so matching them up might help a bit. Other than that, its what pickup trucks do, and have always done. Or they put such light springs in at the factory to make the ride "nicer" empty, but can't pack any weight. Then issue a TSB update for those that want to.

3 leaf non-tsb springs with air bags is the best of both worlds if you don't mind adjusting the air pressure to your load.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
puckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

puckstopper55's Tacoma Gallery
i agree .. truck rides much better with a small"ish" load in the back
Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, the back ends are very light. Another solution that actually has some additional benefit is a plate bumper. If you have not upgraded yoir shocks in the back, you might consider that. The more spring you have the more dampening you need. I've got a fairly heavy constant load on mine and it handles and rides very well. None of my suspension is stock though.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
New shocks help. My truck rides a lot smoother when loaded down also.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
550kawirider is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryceson
550kawirider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
What rear shocks do you have? I suspect not matching billies the way you worded that, so matching them up might help a bit. Other than that, its what pickup trucks do, and have always done. Or they put such light springs in at the factory to make the ride "nicer" empty, but can't pack any weight. Then issue a TSB update for those that want to.

3 leaf non-tsb springs with air bags is the best of both worlds if you don't mind adjusting the air pressure to your load.
^^ This^^ I am running 5100's front (w/ OME 885's) and 5100's in the rear with air bags (Firestone ride rite) with the factory 3 leaf pack. The air bags along with the 5100's soak up the road.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
Do rear 5100s really help? Aren't billies firmer than stock which means theoretically they firm up the ride aka make it harsher?
Old 03-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
Do rear 5100s really help? Aren't billies firmer than stock which means theoretically they firm up the ride aka make it harsher?
More controlled though, less bouncy. OME shocks are supposedly softer riding but I don't know of anyone using them at stock height.

Part of it is just the nature of driving a pickup truck. They are very light in the rear end and have a solid axle out back so they don't ride as smooth as an independent suspension system. Most people complain that that Tacoma suspension is way too soft so you're kind of unique with your problem.

There are a few other things you can do but they'll kill the life of your leaf pack. You could remove a leaf or the overload or go with lift shackles. Another option, go back to the non-TSB leaf pack and get airbags or timbrens for when you're loaded. That way you'll ride nice and soft when unloaded.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery