Notices

Lockable track based bicycle mount?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
Thighmaster is on a distinguished road

Army: Medic, Nurse 5502d USAH, 352d CSH
Thighmaster's Tacoma Gallery
Lockable track based bicycle mount?

Does the bed track, bike mount system lock to the truck? Can the bicycle lock to the mount?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Rocky Mounts Clutch SD.
They attach to the bed rail with security bolts and are lockable. Work great.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #3

Awesome, thanks.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
novataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud of
novataco's Tacoma Gallery
I have these

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ACAM7E/...hvptwo=&hvqmt=

You can also run a cable through the frame and wheels and lock it to the d-rings, which I do more often than padlocking the bike mount.

These mounts are a lot more stable than the Toyota mount that screws to a cleat.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #5

How does it mount? Screw into the plastic bed?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
novataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighmaster View Post
How does it mount? Screw into the plastic bed?
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61...e-mount-6.html

see post #83...its pretty simple to mount in the cleat track.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by novataco View Post
I have these

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ACAM7E/...hvptwo=&hvqmt=

You can also run a cable through the frame and wheels and lock it to the d-rings, which I do more often than padlocking the bike mount.

These mounts are a lot more stable than the Toyota mount that screws to a cleat.
Thanks. I ordered a pair, great price.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighmaster View Post
Thanks. I ordered a pair, great price.
You're welcome. They're good solution. They are sturdy, simple and inexpensive.

You will see that a padlock is more of a visual deterrent and prevents theft of convenience, like when you are eating in a diner or running errands, but a pair of pliers can unscrew the locking nut opposite the quick release. But that wold involve forethought by a thief and they would have to look at it closely to figure that out.

If I am going to be away from the truck for a long period of time I run a cable through the bike (through the rear stays, the rear wheel, and the loose front wheel) and secure it to a d-ring in the bed. I keep the cable and lock in the covered storage cubby in the bed when I am not using it.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #10

^Great advice.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by novataco View Post
You're welcome. They're good solution. They are sturdy, simple and inexpensive.

You will see that a padlock is more of a visual deterrent and prevents theft of convenience, like when you are eating in a diner or running errands, but a pair of pliers can unscrew the locking nut opposite the quick release. But that wold involve forethought by a thief and they would have to look at it closely to figure that out.

If I am going to be away from the truck for a long period of time I run a cable through the bike (through the rear stays, the rear wheel, and the loose front wheel) and secure it to a d-ring in the bed. I keep the cable and lock in the covered storage cubby in the bed when I am not using it.
As mentioned, great advice.

I have a pair of the earlier style Rocky Mounts called a "Fly Trap"

http://www.rockymounts.com/bike_rack_flytrap_p/0150.htm

When we carry the Mountain Tandem with a Fox 40 the design and location make it very tough to get the bike. With our Co-Motion road tandem, yes the bike is not secured by the mounts lock, so we cable lock it up. It's not uncommon for the Ventana mountain tandem to get cable locked also.

Typically the front wheels are put up front.

I had the mounts on the track system and did not like the setup. So the "Fly Traps", yes two of them, are secured to the beds floor along the front edge. Pretty easy install and if removed will appear to be additional drain holes.

I also installed a Delta or similar brand non locking bike tight centered on the forward track. This is for the single bike or a third bike if needed.

You can get a lot of neck turning from other drivers when you carry two race tandems along the interstate. Other drivers have actually slowed down as they pass, so as to get a good look.

Sad part though, we normally take the Toy Hauling Ford Van and keep everything out of sight and locked up. Plus it is a better highway machine for long trips. Except the 5.4 drinking gas.

PK
Old 04-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #12

^^
Might take a look at this for our road tandem.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #13
sonocotaco is on a distinguished road
Name: ken
sonocotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Rocky Mounts are great
Old 04-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #15

We have a "Tandem Topper" for the CR-V's roof. It's been solid with the tandem, even with scary cross winds. I've heard Rocky Mounts are decent.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
As mentioned, great advice.

I have a pair of the earlier style Rocky Mounts called a "Fly Trap"

http://www.rockymounts.com/bike_rack_flytrap_p/0150.htm

When we carry the Mountain Tandem with a Fox 40 the design and location make it very tough to get the bike. With our Co-Motion road tandem, yes the bike is not secured by the mounts lock, so we cable lock it up. It's not uncommon for the Ventana mountain tandem to get cable locked also.

Typically the front wheels are put up front.

I had the mounts on the track system and did not like the setup. So the "Fly Traps", yes two of them, are secured to the beds floor along the front edge. Pretty easy install and if removed will appear to be additional drain holes.

I also installed a Delta or similar brand non locking bike tight centered on the forward track. This is for the single bike or a third bike if needed.

You can get a lot of neck turning from other drivers when you carry two race tandems along the interstate. Other drivers have actually slowed down as they pass, so as to get a good look.

Sad part though, we normally take the Toy Hauling Ford Van and keep everything out of sight and locked up. Plus it is a better highway machine for long trips. Except the 5.4 drinking gas.

PK
Mind you, a thief could also unscrew a d-ring bolt, but

1. What kind of thief has a large diameter torx screw handy?
2. even if they did, they would have to deal with a lock through the frame, which makes it a long shot that a thief would have the desire to conquer both, other than in NYC.

The bikes are in transit when they are in the truck, the location is random, and they are not in the bed for very long, so I am comfortable with the padlock on the delta mount, or the cable lock to the d-ring when the bike is in the truck unattended for an hour or more.

One other thing, I have a an Access LE soft tonneau cover, so sometimes I lay the bike or bikes down in the bed, cable them to the d-ring, and nobody even sees the bikes under the tonneau, so I feel comfotable being away from the truck and bikes for a long time. If I am at a roadside motel like a Residence Inn or whatever, I bring the bikes inside for the night.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #17
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
@NovaTaco, I agree 100%. We typically will do the same unless we take the Ford van, and even then often the stuff is brought indoors.

The "Fly Trap" mount works very well and is a locking function on a 20mm axle.

The "Fly Trap" mount when used with a standard 9mm axle is not lockable. Included with the "Fly Trap" is a dummy axle with a standard quick release that does not lock.

So when carrying a road tandem, I lock the frame to the "Fly Trap" which has been bolted to the beds floor.

BTW, I mounted the "Fly Traps" utilizing the three mount holes on each. So each bike mount is secured to the bed with three bolts and locknuts. I figured if someone thought about taking the entire mount, they would require a second person on the underside to hold the nut from turning.

I di not use the bed rail mounting system on account of it flexing too much with the taller than normal "Fly Trap". With a standard height Delta, or whatever brand I bought, it is shorter and works fine. I did use the leftover bed rail mounts on the Delta bike mount.

PK
Old 04-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #18
Fairbanks AK is on a distinguished road
Fairbanks AK's Tacoma Gallery
Have any of you ever used Rec-Rac?
http://www.recrac.com

It looks to be a good way to eliminate the hassle of taking off the front wheel every time you transport the bike.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post

I di not use the bed rail mounting system on account of it flexing too much with the taller than normal "Fly Trap". With a standard height Delta, or whatever brand I bought, it is shorter and works fine. I did use the leftover bed rail mounts on the Delta bike mount.

PK
I bet those tandems are pretty heavy for the cleat track...smart of you to mount them on the bed floor. My bikes are road bikes and a cyclocross, all pretty light., 15-18 lbs., but I could see the tandems not only stressing the lips of the cleat track, but also being a bit unstable with any hardware in the cleat track.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairbanks AK View Post
Have any of you ever used Rec-Rac?
http://www.recrac.com

It looks to be a good way to eliminate the hassle of taking off the front wheel every time you transport the bike.

Wow, that looks very cool. I wonder if it can work with our beds or cleat tracks. I have a tonneau rail so I think it would have to be able to go in the track.

Great idea, but two things:

1. their cable lock looks useless if it simply locks to the clamp that is finger tightened.
2. Those prices are pretty crazy for a small piece of machined aluminum. You could probably make one yourself, or have a machine shop make you something similar very inexpensively.

Products Discussed in this Thread