Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Engine updates (lack thereof)

Old 03-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
taco tuesday
squashroll is on a distinguished road

squashroll's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Engine updates (lack thereof)

Caution, this is a bit of a rant:
What's the deal with the Tacoma's lack of engine updates? Been looking for a new Tacoma for awhile. Was hugely disappointed with the '12 update. They didn't use the updated 6 (tundra, 4runner). They didn't use the updated 4 (highlander, venza). The new 4 even comes with a 6-speed auto! And why can't we get the 2kd-ftv intercooled turbo charged 2.5L diesel; 142hp 253lb-ft!?
Is it because the Taco is so good Yota is just being lazy?
I read there may be a 2014 model year engine improvement. Feel like its too little, too late; and the diesel prob won't be available.
there doesn't seem to be any other lite truck worth looking at--
PS What happened to the regular cab long bed?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
stroll on over to Chevy and Ford and you will find even less than desirable motors.

Dodge was talking about a little diesel in the dakota..make it a cummings and I for sure will be test driving it at least.

Natural gas motor is now the cheapest alternative IMHO though...Silverados around here have them and the filling stations should be popping up soon. 1.50-2.00 gal equiv
Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
taco tuesday
squashroll is on a distinguished road

squashroll's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I agree.
Cummins is working on a smallish motor for the Titan. http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/05...san-titan.html But I'd rather have a diesel made by Toyota or Hino.
CNG is an interesting option, we have a decent amount of sources here in Seattle, but I'd be a little apprehensive with road/camping trips.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Bring Yuengling To MN!
angrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

angrysam's Tacoma Gallery
European diesel regs are catching up to US regs slowly so we might start seeing more diesel options in the future but not any time soon.

I doubt you'll see anything much with the Taco until they do the redesign...if they do one at all.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
tALOHAma is on a distinguished road
tALOHAma's Tacoma Gallery
I think their just waiting for sales to go down.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Oh god. Not another one.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
RIP Corporal Cirillo , Lest We Forget
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I want a hybrid or a hydrogen fuel cell Tacoma , anything else is archaic
Old 03-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
Historically it seems that the Tacoma and pre-Tacoma pickups are the last to get the updated versions of the motors. The 22R-E was in Celicas in the mid-80's but the pickup had the carbureted version up until like '90 or so. It may be because the expectation of Tacoma buyers is a reliable vehicle, and they want to work out any kinks before dropping new tech in the trucks. Or, it could be that it just gets less attention because it is a truck.

Like the other poster, I would bet that nothing changes until it gets a complete update.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Wait, there are no new engines for the Taco? I can't believe this.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
California (no offense) is such an influence, good or bad, on what the rest of the Country does and they will keep pushing this techno until its passed.
Not sure why since this state blowes.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Im holding out for impulse/warp drive...
Old 03-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #12
David411 has a spectacular aura aboutDavid411 has a spectacular aura about
David411's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
stroll on over to Chevy and Ford and you will find even less than desirable motors.

Dodge was talking about a little diesel in the dakota..make it a cummings and I for sure will be test driving it at least.

Natural gas motor is now the cheapest alternative IMHO though...Silverados around here have them and the filling stations should be popping up soon. 1.50-2.00 gal equiv
Cummins*
Old 03-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #13
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
My fiance has the fj and I have the Tacoma I have to say, after driving both.. I love mine.. it does everything I need it to.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Cold fusion FTW.
please.....Like THATS gonna be out any time soon.....
Old 03-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
Doc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doc
Doc35's Tacoma Gallery
I came from a Nissan Pathfinder with the bullet proof 3.5L V6, yes it would run forever but it was greatly underpowered for its purpose. (I had a Maxima with the same engine and it was a neck snapper). MPG was around 16-17, my Tacoma is delivering 19-20 with much greater spunk. I'm pleased with the performance.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #18
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

At least Chevy has the 5.3l V8 option in the Colorado (and GMC Canyon)...
Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Furreal? I can think of one off of the top of my head, the ecoboost, that is a damn desirable engine in my eyes.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #20
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Furreal? I can think of one off of the top of my head, the ecoboost, that is a damn desirable engine in my eyes.

I agree if Ford made something a little bit smaller than an F150 w/ an ecoboost I would probably not be driving a Taco