1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lighted Shift Selector?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by titus5, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Dec 15, 2008 at 11:24 PM
    titus5

titus5 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4 SR5
    Hi all....I searched forums for this and could not find anything, so I apologize in advance if this is a repeat. I just got a 2005 Double Cab 4x4 today and have been going through it to familiarize myself. My questions is this...are the letters/numerals next to the shifter supposed to light up when the headlights are on?? It looks like they should but mine do not, and I don't seem to have a blown fuse anywhere. All other dash lights work fine.

Thanks for any help on this.

Love the truck by the way, my previous was a 2004 Extra Cab 4x4. This one is way different, but I'm liking the new features.

2. Dec 15, 2008 at 11:27 PM
    Oh_Six_Taco_4x4

Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 Professional High Fiver

Member:
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    OEM skid plate. 3" Toytec lift with AAL. Trail Gear Rock Sliders Rechargable Maglite
    I bought mine used too. I was wondering the same thing about the AC controls. Mine don't light up and I was wondering if they should. :rolleyes: I'm looking forward to the replys. This one should be easy.

3. Dec 15, 2008 at 11:54 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    AC controls should light up. I'm not sure about the shifter. I think there are lights in the dash that tell you where the shifter is.
    Edit - lights next to the shifter light up, I never noticed before.

4. Dec 16, 2008 at 12:38 AM
    Oh_Six_Taco_4x4

Member:
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    OEM skid plate. 3" Toytec lift with AAL. Trail Gear Rock Sliders Rechargable Maglite
    :eek: I should probably check the fuse box uh?

5. Dec 16, 2008 at 1:10 AM
    Oh_Six_Taco_4x4

Member:
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    I can't find which fuse goes to the AC control lights. :mad: Tried reading the manual with negative results!

6. Dec 16, 2008 at 1:19 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Off hand I'm thinking in my 07 auto, that the shifter area is lit up and the ac controls are also, but I'd have to go look to be sure :eek: funny the things some people notice and others don't.

7. Dec 16, 2008 at 4:22 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Glad you are liking your new ride. On my 05 the letters/numbers next to the shifter do not light up. They are lite on the dash area.

8. Dec 16, 2008 at 6:36 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    A/C controls are illuminated, shifter gate no. The I/C is lit for shifter position.
    In my truck anyway..

9. Dec 16, 2008 at 11:15 AM
    titus5

Member:
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4 SR5
    Yeah...my AC controls are lit. If you pop the fuse box cover off and look inside the cover there is a fuse schematic. That should tell you where the proper fuse is, assuming that's the issue.

OU812: Not sure what your abbreviation "I/C" means....I know there is a lighted shift pattern on the dash, but at night there is nothing lighting where the shifter is...not on the letters/numbers, not on the stick...it's dark as hell down there! Thanks again.

10. Dec 16, 2008 at 11:21 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    My AC controls are lit as are my shift "gate" in the console. I would check for a burnt out bulb, if your dash lights come on, so should the rest they would be on the same fuse/ circuit. I should mention I have a 05 DC SR5.

11. Dec 16, 2008 at 10:48 PM
    titus5

Member:
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4 SR5
    I talked to the guys at Toyota and it seems I have a burnt out bulb. I will try to post pictures when I do the replacement. I also just noticed that my power mirror controller does not light up either...seems that it should. Anybody feel like checking theirs to see if it does?

12. Dec 16, 2008 at 11:41 PM
    Oh_Six_Taco_4x4

Member:
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    titus, you didn't happen to ask Toyota about my issue did you? The dash light and ac control lights could be related. Whoever wrote that is a good man. It bothers me having to turn on the AC and putting my hand blindly into the dark abyss. (please guys,...save the "thats what she said" commnets)

13. Dec 17, 2008 at 12:05 AM
    titus5

Member:
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4 SR5
    No I didn't. It sounded like we all agreed that the AC switch should be lighted. Is every other button/switch lighted except the AC? If so, I doubt it's a fuse. I have to go back to Toyota soon, so I will ask them then if it's a bulb or switch or fuse.

14. Dec 17, 2008 at 4:37 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Your right, checked yesterday with hoosiertaco here and mine are lite to.
    To be honest I never look down to see if in gear.
    Good heads up for me!!

15. Dec 17, 2008 at 9:21 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    I/C = instrument cluster. I guess I'll look tonight to see if my floor shifter is backlit or not. Guess I never paid attention. I always look at the I/C and rest my hand on the shifter. Sounds like some are and not but can't see why one model would differ from the next on that??

16. Dec 17, 2008 at 9:53 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    My mirror switch isn't lit.

17. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:04 AM
    lsarg27

lsarg27 Member

Member:
    Cape Cod.
    Vehicle:
    4x4 double cab long bed
    Tonneau, cold air intake, TSB
    I have night vision.:)

18. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:25 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah my gear shifter background lights illuminate as well. Huh, never paid much attention to that. Cool to know I guess!:rolleyes:

19. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:28 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Is it me or does it seem like the bulbs on these Tacos go out a lot? This is not the first post of the sorts here... Great questions though and I am gonna look at mine tonight as well. :)

20. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:37 AM
    it's in coma

it's in coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the desert
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road
    intake and exhaust
    mine is an 06 and the letters/numbers next to shifter does light up.

Products Discussed in

To Top