LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Synthetic oil

View Poll Results: which synthetic do you use?
Royal Purple 216 7.29%
Mobil 1 1,952 65.86%
Castrol 317 10.70%
Other, please specify. 479 16.16%
Voters: 2964. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #21
trdtrav is on a distinguished road
trdtrav's Tacoma Gallery
I use mobil 1 for the ease of starting in the cold winter months of MN, since toyota can't seem to figure out how to put block heaters in their trucks from the factory, so im gonna just have to do it myself...
Old 12-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #22
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Mobil 1
Hey chris do you think its worth me changing to mobile 1 after using pennzoil platinum synthetic for about 2 years now?
Old 12-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #23
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Hey chris do you think its worth me changing to mobile 1 after using pennzoil platinum synthetic for about 2 years now?
mobil1 is great oil...........but if you havent had any problems with the penn, and you like it pretty good...keep using it. you can always get an oil analysis done and see what everything looks like, but the penn plat gets high remarks on bitog. im using it now,since walmart here was out of mobil1...but i'll go back to mobil next oil change. i have used the penn platinum before and havent had any probs with it.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:17 PM   #24
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil. Always worked for me. I might research others sometime, but not high on the priority list with so much other stuff to do.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #25
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Pennzoil Platinum. I used M1 for years when they were actually a "true" synthetic until they started using hydrocracking. Still isn't a bad oil but I used PP in my Altima and it tested better than the M1. I haven't done oil testing on my Tacoma, though.

PP and M1 are normally easy to find at WalMart but PP is about $5 cheaper for a 5qt jug. I say "normally" because the local WalMarts are out of stock on M1 almost daily and they have a sign posted that says something about a short supply due to hurricanes or some nonsense.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #26
glk21c is on a distinguished road

glk21c's Tacoma Gallery
AMSOIL. It's easy to find, just go to their website and purchase it there
Old 12-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #27
Banned
allupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
allupinsydeyou's Tacoma Gallery
im on a different one as well.. lucas oil synthetic racing oils. aweeesome products, use it in the race truck and all the cars we build at the car shop. freebie since the shop is sponsored by them but still. never had a problem with it and it comes out after 2000 miles the same color i put it in as almost.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:24 PM   #29
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
mobil1 is great oil...........but if you havent had any problems with the penn, and you like it pretty good...keep using it. you can always get an oil analysis done and see what everything looks like, but the penn plat gets high remarks on bitog. im using it now,since walmart here was out of mobil1...but i'll go back to mobil next oil change. i have used the penn platinum before and havent had any probs with it.
Yeah maybe I will stick with the PP. I haven't had any trouble with it at all since I've been using it. Anyone familiar with the Fram Tough Guard oil filter? I've been using that since the PP but have heard that Fram filters are not that good. Personally I haven't had any problems with either. Just wanted some opinions I guess. Oh and I use these two products because they are easy to find when I shop at Wal-mart.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #30
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah maybe I will stick with the PP. I haven't had any trouble with it at all since I've been using it. Anyone familiar with the Fram Tough Guard oil filter? I've been using that since the PP but have heard that Fram filters are not that good. Personally I haven't had any problems with either. Just wanted some opinions I guess. Oh and I use these two products because they are easy to find when I shop at Wal-mart.
i think those filters should be fine. the doublegard and toughgard are the better ones that fram makes. their older filters werent too great....but havent really heard alot of negative about the newer ones.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #31
praetor is just really nicepraetor is just really nicepraetor is just really nicepraetor is just really nicepraetor is just really nice

Marines: 0333-Accuracy by Volume
praetor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by glk21c View Post
AMSOIL. It's easy to find, just go to their website and purchase it there
Yeah, but at $9.00 a quart plus shipping....that's a little hard to justify, monthly for me.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:14 PM   #32
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Anyone familiar with the Fram Tough Guard oil filter?
From what I read, Wix is better and about the same ballpark cost.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:43 AM   #34
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil Signature Series 0w30.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #35
tacomaracing
tacomaracing is on a distinguished road

tacomaracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdtrav View Post
I use mobil 1 for the ease of starting in the cold winter months of MN, since toyota can't seem to figure out how to put block heaters in their trucks from the factory, so im gonna just have to do it myself...
if you find a block heater kit,let me know... PLEASE!!!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #38
Taco969 will become famous soon enoughTaco969 will become famous soon enough

Air Force: AFE
Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Valvoline Syn-tech
Old 12-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #39
Toycoma06 will become famous soon enoughToycoma06 will become famous soon enough

Toycoma06's Tacoma Gallery
I use Mobil 1 !!!!!!!! I had a turbo charged mustang...... blew both head gaskets street racing. I drove the car back home 26 miles and the motor never locked up. Kinda made a believer out of me !!!
Old 12-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #40
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
I have always used Mobil 1, in both our Subie wagon and my 06, V6 Taco. Every mechanic you talk to endorses syn of some kind. Flows better in the heat and cold.
I have bought Mobil, because it is more available and get it in a 5 qt container at WallyWorld. I don't use the Mobil Filter as WallyW. doesn't carry them, at least at the Walmart I shop in.
I buy my filter at the dealer. I particularly like Mobil One's cold weather benefits. However, I have two long time friends who have had at least 3 taco's each over the past 15-20 yrs and they never have used syn , changing there oil every 3 thou...never had any problems ever. They generally put on 250K + before buying a new one. I just happen to like the what Mobil 1 offers.

Jeff, 06,V6, SR5, 6spd, 4x4