Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Synthetic oil

View Poll Results: which synthetic do you use?
Royal Purple 217 7.30%
Mobil 1 1,956 65.84%
Castrol 317 10.67%
Other, please specify. 481 16.19%
Voters: 2971. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2008, 09:47 PM   #41
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Hey now how often does everyone change their oil at? Every 3,000 or 5,000? I know the factory says every 5,000 but I've been changing mine around every 3,000 and I'm using synthetic oil. I got this from a friend of mine when I first bought my truck a little over 2 years ago. I was talking to a guy at the parts store today and he said I shouldn't even worry about it until the 5,000 mile marker if I'm on synthetic oil. Who should I listen too?
Old 12-24-2008, 05:27 AM   #42
Hot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pat
Hot Tamale's Tacoma Gallery
Just took my truck in for the first oil change and had them switch to Mobil 1. I don't put a lot of miles on my truck so I'll probably end up having the oil changed every 6 months.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:30 AM   #43
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
Other.....AMSoil 5W-30 100% Synthetic Motor Oil......Just started using it via my dad's recommendation of about 5 years or so of use

X2. Ran this in my taco. Switched all other fluids to Amsoil brand also.

Benefit: Change oil once a year. Made a 125K mile motor run quieter and smoother. Smoother idle, slightly lower engine temp (so it seemed by the gauge). Gonna get enough to do the Tundra with when my taxes come back.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #44
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Synethic oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Hey now how often does everyone change their oil at? Every 3,000 or 5,000? I know the factory says every 5,000 but I've been changing mine around every 3,000 and I'm using synthetic oil. I got this from a friend of mine when I first bought my truck a little over 2 years ago. I was talking to a guy at the parts store today and he said I shouldn't even worry about it until the 5,000 mile marker if I'm on synthetic oil. Who should I listen too?
Most of the good mechanics, at least the ones that I talk to , suggest that you change out the oil between 5-6 thousand. To me 3 thousand is way to early, my oil doesn't even get dirty at 5K.
Mobil 1 is not cheap to buy, I usually change it at about 6 thousand or when ever it just starts to turn color.
If you like to change your oil that often(lots of Mobil 1 owners do) then its OK.

Jeff , 06,V6,SR5, 4x4, 6spd.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #45
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Most of the good mechanics, at least the ones that I talk to , suggest that you change out the oil between 5-6 thousand. To me 3 thousand is way to early, my oil doesn't even get dirty at 5K.
Mobil 1 is not cheap to buy, I usually change it at about 6 thousand or when ever it just starts to turn color.
If you like to change your oil that often(lots of Mobil 1 owners do) then its OK.

Jeff , 06,V6,SR5, 4x4, 6spd.
Yeah I think I'm going to hold out longer on this run around. I actually use pennzoil platinum-full synthetic and has never been an issue. But it does get a little pricy changing it every 3,000 miles! Factory says 5,000 so it can't hurt to go 5,000 especially on synthetic.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #46
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i change the oil in our honda accord and my tacoma every 5k miles, and i run mobil1 or pennzoil platinum in both of them(i use the penn in times like now, when walmart doesnt have the mobil1...or when there is a good deal on it...never have had a prob with it).
Old 12-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #47
Lieutenant Dan.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i change the oil in our honda accord and my tacoma every 5k miles, and i run mobil1 or pennzoil platinum in both of them(i use the penn in times like now, when walmart doesnt have the mobil1...or when there is a good deal on it...never have had a prob with it).
Cool sounds good! Yeah I never had a problem with PP either so I'm going to stick with it. I think I'm going to go till 5k this time around. Hey it shouldn't hurt my engine since I've been doing it every 3k right if I switch it to 5k?
Old 12-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #48
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Cool sounds good! Yeah I never had a problem with PP either so I'm going to stick with it. I think I'm going to go till 5k this time around. Hey it shouldn't hurt my engine since I've been doing it every 3k right if I switch it to 5k?
not at all man!!! going 5k miles is ok,since its synthetic.......doesnt break down as quick as dino oil does. if you wanna be on the totally safe side......get an oil analysis from blackstone labs, but other than that........you are good to go buddy.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #49
Lieutenant Dan.

Question

Quote:
not at all man!!! going 5k miles is ok,since its synthetic.......doesnt break down as quick as dino oil does. if you wanna be on the totally safe side......get an oil analysis from blackstone labs, but other than that........you are good to go buddy.
Now whats that oil analysis deal your talking about from blackstone labs?
Old 12-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #50

Quote:
Now whats that oil analysis deal your talking about from blackstone labs?
basically....you send in to them a bit of your used oil from an oil change, and they analyze it and see how its performing.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #51
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i change the oil in our honda accord and my tacoma
Old 12-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #52
IB Slingin has a spectacular aura aboutIB Slingin has a spectacular aura aboutIB Slingin has a spectacular aura about
IB Slingin's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil 5W-30 synthetic and Amsoil Ea057 oil filter every 5K miles. I'll do this until my factory warranty expires.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiertaco View Post
no other way to word it brotha......i do the work on the both of them!!
Old 12-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #54
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
I use only AMSOIL 0w30 in all my vehicles and use extended drain intervals.

It is simply the best motor oil you can use. This is backed up by industry standardized tests that always shows AMSOIL out performing everything out there. That is why I use it.

Most of us bought our Toyota trucks for their high quality instead of say a Ford Ranger. Why would you not use the same standard when you buy your motor oil for your Toyota?

I really believe in this stuff so much so I am going to give all of you the very best hook up I possibly can.

Go to my website, http://gadgetonline.com/AMSOIL.htm and follow the link to sign up as a dealer or a preferred customer. Either way it only costs $10 to sign up and you will save way more than that on your first order.

By signing up, you can then order direct at WHOLESALE cost. Exactly what dealers pay. You just cannot get it cheaper than that. You will be amazed at how much money you can save only paying WHOLESALE for it.

Gadget
Old 12-25-2008, 05:02 AM   #55
CanTac is on a distinguished road

CanTac's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil is all I use in my vehicles. For those of you changing your syn oil out at 3000k, you are just wasting your money. Might as well be using dino oil if you are going to keep it in for only 3000k. Even at 5000k is a little early. You should be able, with no problem getting 10,000k highway miles or 8000k if you do a lot of city driving on an oil change with the Amsoil. Change out the filter and top up if you wish at 5000k, I have run all my vehicles like this for years. Never had a problem. JMHO

CanTac

Hal
Old 12-25-2008, 06:43 AM   #56
M2M will become famous soon enough

M2M's Tacoma Gallery
sign up on Mobil 1 site and you can get a 10$ rebate form because of the shortage (limited time offer) and - they have a rewards program !

of course, after reading through this thread - I will give Amsoil a try at my next change !
Old 12-25-2008, 07:18 AM   #57
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanTac View Post
Amsoil is all I use in my vehicles. For those of you changing your syn oil out at 3000k, you are just wasting your money. Might as well be using dino oil if you are going to keep it in for only 3000k. Even at 5000k is a little early. You should be able, with no problem getting 10,000k highway miles or 8000k if you do a lot of city driving on an oil change with the Amsoil. Change out the filter and top up if you wish at 5000k, I have run all my vehicles like this for years. Never had a problem. JMHO

CanTac

Hal
+1!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #58
Lieutenant Dan.

Question

Hey dumb question! My buddy gave me a Tacoma magnetic replacement screw for my oil pan to collect what ever metal particles are lingering in my oil. Now are these even worth using? Also, they are safe to use right?
Old 12-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #59
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
Yes.

Gadget
Old 12-28-2008, 05:59 AM   #60
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Mag plugs have been around for some time and if they fit your Taco oil pan, there is nothing wrong with using it.
I would suspect that these days there are not as many of the fine metal particles, just due to the better machining process that car manufacturers use.
I have a friend who uses a magnet next to his oil drain plug, instead of the mag plug.
So I would say go ahead and use it.

Over the past few days we have had 22" of snow, then rain and now 55deg weather. Good time to fill up my windshield washer and check my oil and maybe wash some windows in our vehicles. Hope things in Nevada are snow free and warming.

Jeff. 06,V6, SR5, 4x4,6spd....