Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Synthetic oil

View Poll Results: which synthetic do you use?
Royal Purple 216 7.28%
Mobil 1 1,953 65.85%
Castrol 317 10.69%
Other, please specify. 480 16.18%
Voters: 2966. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #1021
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspiciousmind View Post
I can say for a fact that, back in the early '70s, i witnessed some serious sludge on my own car that was on a steady diet of pennzoil. I was a believer in pennzoil until i pulled the valve cover and saw a 3/8 thick coating of black wax.

That was then though...times have changed. I'm running pennzoil ultra in my miata right now with confidence.
Most oils caused a modest amount of sludge in those days, but the marketing would have you believe that it was only the Pennsylvania crude that did.
There's a reason that API SE is no longer available retail.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #1022
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
I use Redline
There's only one place that sells it out here, and they told me that they're the only brand they know of (or carry) that the manufacturer has to inspect and approve their business before they will allow them to carry their product
Not saying that means anything pertaining to the quality one way or another, was just interesting
Old 06-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #1023
05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
05Aztacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Costco is again running their $10 off instant rebate on M1 6-packs starting the 16th.

They didn't have 0w20 or 5w20 last year, but I'm pretty well stocked on that. I do need more 5w30 for my wife's Rav4.
This is good to know! Time to stock up.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #1024
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chino Hills has 5w20, 5w30, and 10w30.

Limit 3 per customer. I got my 3... going to Glendora tomorrow to get 3 more.
$26 for 6 quarts.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #1025
Zarny is on a distinguished road

Name: Prem
Zarny's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil. I've been using it on 3 cars for past 11 years. No issues at all. Also, I can change the oil every 10'000 km.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #1026
Ampo is on a distinguished road
Ampo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarny View Post
Amsoil. I've been using it on 3 cars for past 11 years. No issues at all. Also, I can change the oil every 10'000 km.
Are you using the "Signature series" full synthetic? They say you can go 24,000 km(15,000 miles aprox.) and that's for severe service, much farther than that if your willing to change out the filter. All of Canada is considered "severe" as far as I know so those are the numbers I'll be considering living in Barrie Ontario myself.
I plan on switching to Amsoil this fall myself but I'm going to change the oil every fall/spring regardless, I just don't want to have to change in the middle of winter. I'll probably average around 12-13,000 km(8,000 miles) on the truck per change, well within specs for the Signature series oil and Amsoil EA filter. I could actually go down to a lower grade Amsoil product ,save a few bucks and still be alright but I want the superior film retention for cold starts that you get with their top grade full synthetic.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #1027
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808trdsport View Post
i read a long time ago about reading the oil stamp on the bottle. the api, sae, and acea standards. and decided to not pay for the premimum cost synthetics. So I use the Car quest brand synthetics. No problem so far and the price is not bad too.
Smart man car quest oil is just as good as any other synthetic. Only a tool would pay for the over priced name brands. API rating is all that matters.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #1028
AK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kyle
AK 08TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Klotz motor oil for me. I also use it in my tranny and diffs. I could feel a big difference in how much easier and smoothly the tranny shifted.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #1029
VegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Nick
VegasNick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtaco02 View Post
Smart man car quest oil is just as good as any other synthetic. Only a tool would pay for the over priced name brands. API rating is all that matters.
Only a tool wouldn't understand additive packages and oil stability. Want to compare oil analysis on your CarQuest oil over AMSOIL signature over 10K miles?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #1030

Zarny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampo View Post
Are you using the "Signature series" full synthetic? They say you can go 24,000 km(15,000 miles aprox.) and that's for severe service, much farther than that if your willing to change out the filter. All of Canada is considered "severe" as far as I know so those are the numbers I'll be considering living in Barrie Ontario myself.
I plan on switching to Amsoil this fall myself but I'm going to change the oil every fall/spring regardless, I just don't want to have to change in the middle of winter. I'll probably average around 12-13,000 km(8,000 miles) on the truck per change, well within specs for the Signature series oil and Amsoil EA filter. I could actually go down to a lower grade Amsoil product ,save a few bucks and still be alright but I want the superior film retention for cold starts that you get with their top grade full synthetic.
On my Sienna (8 years old) I use Amsoil and even after winter driving and about 10'000km the oil is slightly brown/dark yellow. Driving around GTA. You can't go wrong with this oil.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #1031
JaxJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaxJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaxJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaxJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaxJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaxJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaxJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaxJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaxJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaxJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaxJim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JaxJim's Tacoma Gallery
I can't say Mobil 1 is the best oil available, but I have been using it since the 80's and have never had an oil-related issue with any of the engines. I change the oil on or before schedule for street only vehicles, use what the manufacturer recommends for weight, take the time to do a full drain and usually use either wix or OEM oil filters.

I've run some vehicles really hard, doing both off-roading with trucks and some track use by many of the cars (strip and road course with some unintentional off-roading). Those vehicles were on short drain intervals, as short as 500 miles depending on severity.

BTW: I've run trucks with big block and small block V8s, Corvettes, tuned Nissan 240SX, Porsche 911s, Mitsubishi (Plymouth) Laser Turbo, Cadillac STS V8, Volvo S60 T6, built small blocks (400450 HP no power adders) in Camaros (68, 69 and 72). I'm forgetting some I'm sure. Point is, I've owned a large cross section of vehicles and they all have lived well with Mobil 1 in the pan/sump.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #1032
mr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mr2mki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasNick View Post
Only a tool wouldn't understand additive packages and oil stability. Want to compare oil analysis on your CarQuest oil over AMSOIL signature over 10K miles?
Of course, if you just change your oil before it breaks down, all AMSOIL signature's fancy stability and such primarily mean convenience, of changing the oil fewer times

To my knowledge, fancy oils can't protect your engine "better", they just do it "longer". Well, and some of the fancy ones have more ZDDP (?) but that is only helpful when metal-on-metal has already occurred.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #1033

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2mki View Post
Of course, if you just change your oil before it breaks down, all AMSOIL signature's fancy stability and such primarily mean convenience, of changing the oil fewer times
Which blows your factory warranty and Amsoil and Mobil-1 do NOT have your back if you are still in warranty.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #1034
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Man...people get so twisted about oil. These threads always seem to degrade into "my oil can beat up your oil". At the end of the day...it's oil. Nothing more...nothing all that important compared with life's real issues.

Pick a brand, pick an interval....move on with life.

That said...I use M1 0w-20 for a couple of reasons. #1 My truck calls for for it so I have to use a synthetic for that weight. #2 M1 is sold EVERYWHERE. It doesn't matter where I'm at I can get it. I also change it at 5k intervals because that's what Toyota says to do. And as long as I'm under warranty I'll do that. Not a big deal.

I'd just about be willing to bet my truck would be just fine on Wal-Mart 5w-20 conventional.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #1035

Zarny's Tacoma Gallery
Funny. My brand new taco straight from the dealer has a next oil change sticker in the left top corner of windshield and it reads 8000km.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #1036
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasNick View Post
I do oil analysis all the time. I probably send off anywhere from 10 to 20 samples a month. For your information I have been a diesel technician for 20+ years. API ratings is the important factor in oil. Not price or name brand. So yes I know a lot more than you may think I know about oil. See I don't just do oil changes, repairs, rebuilds or samples on one engine. I do them on hundreds of engines a year for over the past 20+ years. So I have seen oil samples on all types of oil from the bargain brands and overpriced oils. I have seen no difference in sampling no problems with the bargain brands. Its all about the API..
Old 07-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #1037

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarny View Post
Funny. My brand new taco straight from the dealer has a next oil change sticker in the left top corner of windshield and it reads 8000km.
Which is 4960 in 'Murican.

That is the factory recommended OCI for ALL 2nd Gen Tacomas regardless of whether it is a 4.0 with conventional 5w30 or a 2.7 with synthetic 0w20 or 5w20.

That oil change interval is required to maintain your factory warranty.

Contrary to what Amsoil salesmen tell you, extended OCI is NOT the primary benefit of synthetic oil. Extended OCI is an economic benefit that eases the pain of the higher cost, but in doing so, some of the benefits of running synthetic are given up.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #1038
Zilla has a spectacular aura aboutZilla has a spectacular aura about
Name: snah
Zilla's Tacoma Gallery
oil

How would changing oil void your warranty
Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #1039
mr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mr2mki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
How would changing oil void your warranty
It's failing to change it within the specified interval that voids your warranty. They won't honor your warranty if it's been 30k since your last oil change. Capisce?
Old 07-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #1040
VegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Nick
VegasNick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2mki View Post
It's failing to change it within the specified interval that voids your warranty. They won't honor your warranty if it's been 30k since your last oil change. Capisce?
That is untrue. AMSOIL has one many cour battles on extended oil change intervals when the OEM tries to deny warranties. Read here:
http://www.amsoil.com/warrantysecure.aspx

and here:
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ne-maintenance

Capice?