1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Securing cargo in the bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lakeside, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Dec 16, 2008 at 9:41 AM
    lakeside

lakeside [OP] Member

Member:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I recently traded up from a '99 Nissan Frontier and I've never looked back. But the Nissan did have a nice feature which came with the OEM bedliner. There were recesses moulded into the plactic to slip a 2 X 6 crosswise about two feet forward of the tailgate. I always used the 2 x 6 which was great to prevent things like grocery bags from flying around. I sure do miss that feature in the Taco.

I looked at mats but not only was the shipping cost a killer (twice the cost of the mat!) but the mats still wouldn't prevent stuff from really moving around in the back.

Any ideas out there??

2. Dec 16, 2008 at 9:47 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I usually use a couple of bungee cords, and hook them into the "D" rings in the corner of the bed, then run them to the adjustable tie downs on the bed rails in a cross pattern. Seems to work well enough.

3. Dec 16, 2008 at 10:02 AM
    ksj

ksj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cavalry Blue TRD Pro
    265/70-17 KO2
    The bed extender works well for this...

4. Dec 16, 2008 at 10:07 AM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
  5. Dec 16, 2008 at 10:12 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    As stated above bungie cords also those spider web cords. People have used containers for the back, or a type of netting.
    Sky's the limit for idea's, but I would try to find a bed mat, well worth the money.

6. Dec 16, 2008 at 10:16 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Might be the 'Canada' factor he is referring to.

As far as the thread starter, its too bad you are as far from the border as you are. Whats Ottawa, 2-3 hours from the Peace Bridge and Lewiston bridge?

The mat helps alot, but i think the best bet would be the may combined with cords or some of the other offerings. I think the cargo net is only about 30 bucks, isn't it?

7. Dec 16, 2008 at 10:36 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    And if you wanted to add more "D" rings their is a mod here to do that. matter of fact I am planning on adding 4 more and soon as he weather breaks.

8. Dec 16, 2008 at 10:57 AM
    lakeside

lakeside [OP] Member

Member:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Yea, it's sometimes a drag to have to pay the exchange rate, then UPS and then UPS brokerage fees. If I remember right, the US $40 mat would end up costing me over $100 Canadian.

Ottawa is about 1.5 hours north of the US/Canada border. Americans complain about all the cold air coming down from Canada in the winter and Canadians complain about all the hot air coming up from the US in the summer. I figure at the end of the day it's a wash.

I'll try the bungee cord trick, thanks.

9. Dec 16, 2008 at 11:05 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Well i bought a couple of kitchen anti-fatigue mats in sams for like $30-40 and put them together, they seem to work very well for me.... then when im hauling more heavy stuff like a paint bucket i just use a bungee chord....

[​IMG]

10. Dec 16, 2008 at 11:29 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    The hot air you are feeling is from Washington DC and thats pretty much year round...

I'm only about 1/2 hour away. Set it up and i'll meet you this side of the border. I'll bring my girlfriend shopping or to the Falls or something for the hell of it.

11. Dec 16, 2008 at 12:32 PM
    rmd0311

rmd0311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag Gray TRD Sport
    Toyota Bed Mat... = GREAT

12. Dec 16, 2008 at 2:23 PM
    Crooked Beat

Crooked Beat Well-Known Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB SR
    Go to the local Tractor Supply Company (TSC) or Country hardware Store as they are also called or your local farm Co-Op. There is one in Rockland, Smith Falls, etc. http://www.tscstores.com/index.php

Get a stable mat. Goes on sale for $40 CDN. 3/4" rubber. Spend 20+ minutes cutting it to fit. The wheel well cut outss exactly fit the back of the bed to the rear of the wheel wells. The mat is 2 inches too short, leaving your rear d-rings for easy use. Perfect and cheap last forever.
    These stable mats are also the same mats you see in fitness centres 4 foot by 6 foot.

13. Dec 16, 2008 at 2:37 PM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    if you look there are slots on the wheel wells to lay something like a 1x8 or something(not sure)across the width of the bed. You could always fab up something like this to keep them from sliding around.
    part1_f20488021d98df63720c5cdcb2b32b36ed5c5b30.jpg

Note: I just roughly made this in a cad program without thinking so i know this wouldn't fit but you should get the picture.

14. Dec 16, 2008 at 7:56 PM
    moserjjx

moserjjx Tacoma Newbie

Member:
    Eau Claire, WI
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD 4x4
    Weathertech liners, bed mat, rear spring TSB, extra 12V outlets in center console, seat belt chime off
    that's my plan soon but those slots are a really funny size if you want the board to be the height of the pocket and not stick up. I've got some 2x8s cut to the right size and a friend is going to plane them down to 1" thick. then i'll coat them with undercoating or something. i'll probably hinge and lock the piece hanging down in the event i want to slide a long board or something under the braces. sure alot of work for 2 boards! :)

15. Dec 16, 2008 at 8:29 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    99 Tacoma, had a hard time getting to the factory hooks. The rope is rated at 6500 Lb and the hooks are stainless. I wouldn't trust my life to it but my buddys couch, well yes.

[​IMG]

16. Dec 16, 2008 at 8:30 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod

Products Discussed in

To Top