Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Center Console Lid Latch

Old 12-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
stevend is on a distinguished road
stevend's Tacoma Gallery
Center Console Lid Latch

The latch broke and now the center console lid cant stay shut does anyone know where i can find the spring loaded latch? if they even sell them, i really dont want to have to buy a new lid. and ive done the whole put duck tape on it and velcro to keep it closed but it doesnt look very good. thanks
Old 12-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
stevend's Tacoma Gallery
thanks but would i have to buy the whole bottom liner?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
nomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nomad's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried taking it apart to see if it's something you can easily fix? There's not a lot of moving parts under there and there's just a few screws holding it together. If you do happen to break something (or discover it's already permanently broken), what have you lost besides a few minutes spent breaking it down?

Take it apart and post some pics. I'm sure we can figure it out before you spend money to get a new lid/ latch. I took mine apart and gave it a little lube (it was sticking) and it was a pretty painless and quick process.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
I have has mine apart several times. I highly doubt you will be able to find the parts you need on the aftermarket however you can buy everything separate at your dealership. To take it apart you open the lid and take out the small screws (4 I think) then the plastic bottom shell will come out. After that you will see (I think 6) larger screws. Take those out and then the hinge and bracket will stay in place and your lid will be removed. The latch assembly is held in by 2 more screws. Take those out and presto! You now have your entire latch in your hand or on the floor. A quick bend at the waist and now you have it. Look to see what is broke, you might find that the little spring has simply moved out of place. If it is broken take it to the dealer and they will either get you the part to fix it or can sell you a whole new latch. Keep in mind they will probly have to order it. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
dbbd1 is on a distinguished road

dbbd1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by harris.jasonm View Post
I have has mine apart several times. I highly doubt you will be able to find the parts you need on the aftermarket however you can buy everything separate at your dealership. To take it apart you open the lid and take out the small screws (4 I think) then the plastic bottom shell will come out. After that you will see (I think 6) larger screws. Take those out and then the hinge and bracket will stay in place and your lid will be removed. The latch assembly is held in by 2 more screws. Take those out and presto! You now have your entire latch in your hand or on the floor. A quick bend at the waist and now you have it. Look to see what is broke, you might find that the little spring has simply moved out of place. If it is broken take it to the dealer and they will either get you the part to fix it or can sell you a whole new latch. Keep in mind they will probly have to order it. Let me know if you have any further questions.
I don't have that problem (yet) but thanks for the handy write-up.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
stevend's Tacoma Gallery
awesome thanks guys im pretty sure i just need to take it down to the dealer, just because when i opened it and took my hand off the button/latch thing the spring shot it along with the spring off thus losing the spring and whatever stopping the latch from shooting off.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #8
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Any resolution to this?

My lid latch just broke. The plastic button fell out and the spring is missing. I guess the clips that hold the button in place have broke.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Well, Stevend got back to me with a PM today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevend
I went to the dealer and they sell the whole top piece for somewhere in the range of 200. there was noway i was gonna pay that so i just went and got some velcro and taped it the the lid and the console and glued the button in.
This does not sound good. Anyone have another idea?
Old 11-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
T0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T0LLPHR33's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to T0LLPHR33
mine just broke this morning...reasons I have no idea...

going to get a replacement part off of my buddy today once i'm done with work...I will let you know how much he charges just for the center console access handle...
Old 11-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #12

DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Any update TOLLPHR33?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #13
maxxx05 is on a distinguished road
maxxx05's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the same broken center console latch on my 05, and the dealer won't sell just the latch or the whole lid. You have to buy the entire center console, which is around $300 here.

I've checked wrecking yards and ebay, but no luck.

Anybody got any tips/advice on fixing the latch?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #14
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxx05 View Post
I've got the same broken center console latch on my 05, and the dealer won't sell just the latch or the whole lid. You have to buy the entire center console, which is around $300 here.

Try this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ch-repair.html
Old 05-15-2011, 06:00 AM   #15
brians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brian
brians05taco's Tacoma Gallery
my latch broke as well if anyone has a cover they would like to sell please let me its beige or tan cover thanks for an 05
Old 05-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #16
bkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to all

Name: Dave
bkrdave36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxx05

Try this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ch-repair.html
This is the cure. I did it and it worked.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #17
brians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brian
brians05taco's Tacoma Gallery
repaired mine today good as new used some structual adhesive we used in bonding repairs on helicopters, should hold up better than original
Old 06-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
strech3030us is on a distinguished road
Name: michael
strech3030us's Tacoma Gallery
Center Console Lid Latch

The latch on my '06 broke.
Dealership said not only had to buy the entire lid to get the latch, BUT I also had to buy the entire console to get the lid with the latch (no thanks).

Went to Home Depot, bought 2 #6 round head self tapping screws.

On the top side of the latch that screws to the lid with 2 screws, there were 2 slots. Ran screws through these slots (pre-drill the holes first) into the actual push button (loose enough so the button part can slide in and out of the other part), dug a spring out of the "extra parts" I have, and life is good.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #19
jsb is on a distinguished road
jsb's Tacoma Gallery
console latch fix

I just drilled a hole and installed a roll pin...
Attached Thumbnails
Center Console Lid Latch-180.jpg   Center Console Lid Latch-181.jpg   Center Console Lid Latch-182.jpg  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #20
tljusayan is on a distinguished road
tljusayan's Tacoma Gallery
JSB, do you have other photos you can share on that roll pin? I would like to try to do what you did to fix mine. I have an 06 SR5 PreRunner and it did the same thing. Latch popped out due to extensive heat, but I was able to save the spring. Just had to be careful on opening it because it will separate from the lid and I will lose both parts.