1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ok Love my Taco except I'm about to drive it off a cliff because of this...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by atalladega, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Mar 31, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    atalladega

atalladega [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 double cab, 4x4 TRD off-road
    Got my tacoma about a months and a half ago. Was doing my build and loving it, got to the point of the lift, wheels and tires. After the lift was installed I got this stupid squeaking. Thought it was the seat thing TSB, did that, still squeaking. Tried lubricating all joints that I can see...nothing.

It happens when I let off the gas, am braking and is compounded when turning right but it DOES show up when going straight too not just right turns. The steering wheel does not have to be at full lock to the right to make the noise either. Seems as it arrises when there is weight transferred to the front of the truck and especially left front IE breaking while turning right.

I made a couple of iphone videos, i just wedged my phone between the windshield and the dash. The interior is water tight so all the noise in this video is produced by the squeak in question. With the exception of the steering wheel sliding through my hands, sorry didn't know that would show up so loud. It seems to only make the sound when in motion, I can stand on the step bars and bounce to high heaven and get no squeak. I put it in gear and move a foot with the wheel turned right and squeaking symphony begins. I'm so fed up right now I'm about to ditch this truck! Ive had 10+ lifted trucks and have never had this crap even when I was poor high schooler with a body lift on my bronco 2, yea i admitted it. But I loved that truck! :p

Somebody please help or I might commit tacoma murder!

I have a longer video but there was a lot more of the steering wheel sliding through my hands and it was annoying even me. So this one I was basically driving around in a couple of circles in front of my house. The bumpy shoulder and right hand turn accents the noise. Please help.

BTW, this only started after the lift was installed, it was quiet as a church when it was stock. And the lift is the Toytec 3" lift with eibachs n billy 5100's, toytec top mount spacer and bushings, rear 2" AAL with quieting pads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj-jD2gfyD8

2. Mar 31, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    Your not rubbing on anything after the lift right? like some tread rubbing against the UCA or something like that? If thats not it id guess either a wheel bearing or maybe it could be from the added stress on the CVs

3. Mar 31, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
  4. Mar 31, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    drsus

drsus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRDpro
    stock
    sounds a lot like something is rubbing on the spindle when you turn right

i say spindles because they rub sometimes after lifts and tires and since it only does it when your turn right....

i was going to say that it sounded like poly bushings on the Upper control arms maybe? my old truck squeaked like crazy from those things ?

5. Mar 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hiatt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    4" Bodylift 20" Offroad shock spacers Turbo Encabulator
    Did you get uniballs?

6. Mar 31, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Did you do a body lift or suspension lift?

7. Mar 31, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    SurfInferno

SurfInferno Dont be stupid, its not smart.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 DC
    what lift did you get? most aftermarket UCAs and coil overs tend to squeak, as well as the leafs, but it sounds like its coming from the front. "Offroad parts come with off road noises"

8. Mar 31, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Sounds like the noise my old Ranger used to make , that turned out to be a loose body mount up front

9. Mar 31, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    atalladega

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:

I'm pretty sure it's not rubber rubbing, it doesn't have to be "full rt lock" to do it I could turn the wheel a 1/4 of a turn and get noise, actually it does it if I'm going straight as well but only when I get off the gas or brake when going straight. It's just constant if I'm turning right.

did not get uniballs or UCAs Just their 3" lift with 5100s at top spacer $899 one

Suspension lift only

I've checked the cab mount right behind the driver front wheel (where the CMC) is and everything is tight now. Some bolts were a little loose but nothing crazy, regardless noise never changed after tightening or lubing. I'll have to check the rest of the mounts.

If I do put my left foot flat on floor/firewall behind the brake pedal or beside the fake pedal on the left. I can feel the vibration, as it squeaks, through the sheet metal.

10. Mar 31, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    atalladega

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    I got the Toytec 3" lift with 5100s 2" AAL rear. Seriously I've had Fords, Chevy, GMC, Dodge, Nissan trucks all lifted and never had something like this where I couldn't find it quickly and solve easily. Even my beater 88' D21 mud truck is quieter than this stupid noise except for full lock where metal stops rub. This is my first toyota that I've lifted and I'm regretting buying this truck now. Everything else is ok, but that is how annoying this noise is.

11. Mar 31, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    mudthedoor

mudthedoor Sconnie

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Forestville, WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
  12. Mar 31, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Lower control arm alignment cams not tight??

Sway bar bushings dry??

No grease between the new add-a-leaf (if its from the rear)??

Shock mounts torqued (top and bottom)??

Those are my best guesses in that order.

13. Mar 31, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    SurfInferno

SurfInferno Dont be stupid, its not smart.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 DC
    as oz said it could be the body mount. mine tends to squeak sometimes. if not I'm stumped

14. Mar 31, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    atalladega

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    1. Alignment cams... I did have an alignment done after lift. what torque specs? If you know by any chance.

2. I did look at the sway bar bushings this evening on the frame. didn't have time to do anything with them. I'm planning on disconnecting and see what happens.

3. Doesn't seem to be coming from the rear, I seem to be able to feel it in the floor when it makes the noise. And it seems to be worst when the weight is transferred to the left front corner of the vehicle (IE turning right, esp. while braking). If I'm turning left the noise disappears almost completely (IE weight transferred to the passenger side).

4. What should the shock mount bolts be torqued to? can they be over tightened?

Thanks to everyone who is thinking about this problem for me. helping me get my brain moving on the subject.

15. Mar 31, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.

Right out of my Chilton Manual:
    Alignment cams 4wd: 155lbs
    Lower shock Mnt: 61lbs
    Upper shock Mnts: 47lbs

The upper shock mounts are the only thing I wouldn't go hog wild on. Stick with the torque spec because the upper shock mounts bolts aren't the kind of components you can't find replacements for at your local auto/hardware store. The alignment cams can take about as much as you can humanly throw at them. I torque them with a pipe over my wrench haha. But thats just because I wheel hard.

16. Mar 31, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    UCA hitting the spring? Since you have the stock UCA's with 3" lift?

17. Mar 31, 2012 at 7:08 PM
    hardcrazyace

hardcrazyace Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    martain ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd off road
    with the the lift the axles are seting a steeper angel check the cv joint axle boots rubbing aginst somthing and spray somthing like wd40 on the boots if not that the tire is rubbing somthing

18. Mar 31, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    atalladega

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    I've checked the springs and ucas for rubbing spots over the last couple of weeks and they are clean. No scuffs or even signs of touching.

I've checked the cv boots and have sprayed lubricants over them before. The squeaking sounds like metal on metal but who knows now at this point. My cousin is using my gopro hero camera this weekend, when I get it back I'll mount it under there and see if I can't get some video under there.

19. Mar 31, 2012 at 9:12 PM
    hardcrazyace

hardcrazyace Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    martain ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd off road
    did u check to see if the thin back plate might have been bent over close to the brake rotor or maby one of the little wire spring clip on brake pads might have came out of place and rubbing somthing

20. Mar 31, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I have a similiar sound. Whole front end. Rough Country 3" kit

Products Discussed in

To Top