Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rhino line?

Old 12-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
TacoTown is on a distinguished road
Name: Chase
TacoTown's Tacoma Gallery
Rhino line?

I was having a casual conversation with someone concerning Tacomas/Tundras and they said that they recommend Rhino lining the undercarriage of Toyota trucks due to rust issues.

Has anyone done this? Is this for real?

Call me dumb but I have not heard of anything like this being done before!
Old 12-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
basically..............its essentially the same as undercoating the frame and all on a car or truck. the rhino-liner is a spray in bed liner, but will work for undercoating too................although it may be more expensive then having a place do a normal undercoating spray.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I think you could get the same anti rust effect from a cheaper undercoating like takomaman06 suggested, even a rattlecan version, however, if it's something you really are going to consider, use line-x, not rhino, IMO and in the pentagons opinion its good stuff, they are using it to BOMB PROOF the pentagon! "What does a company that makes pickup truck bed liners know about bombproofing buildings? In the case of California-based Line-X, enough to win a contract to help reinforce the Pentagon with a spray-on polymer coating called Paxcon. Derived from Line-X’s bed liners, Paxcon can be sprayed on existing structures. It is designed to reduce or eliminate damage caused by fragmentation, or possibly delay a building’s collapse until it can be evacuated. Paxcon is being applied to commercial and government buildings around the world." from popular mechanics http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...w/4211265.html
Old 12-17-2008, 04:39 AM   #4
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
rhino lining and linex are pretty hard when they dry. I think it might start to flack off after being hit with gravel and whatnot i have a rubberized undercoating still pliable even fully cured reduces road noise too.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:51 AM   #5
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 05 TRD O.R. 4 door,
If you go line-X/Rhino or rattle can, call is yours.
I have been going under my ride since I purchased it, especially after the winter. I take a rattle can and hit area's here and there. I don't like to see that red/brown stuff. But you are going to, with a little prep in areas no big deal.
You don't know what the road is going to throw your way, rocks, limbs, metal, road rubber, etc. A smack underneath is gonna happen, when it does. I go under inspect, and spray if needed.
For me, alot cheaper than the other way, plus it gets me in the mod mood.
I have a case of it here, that way I know it is all the same color, some are jet black some are a little greyer, and some have a little shine.
No one knows the difference, plus when I do take it to the dealer for service, they ask if I ever drive it.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:10 AM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Demoncleaner painted his undercarriage this winter and posted some pics somewhere on here. If he signs on I'm sure he'll let ya know or you can pm him. I remember seeing my snowmobile dealer painting all his trailers will por 15 and there is another product similiar. I am on the fence doing anything now with my 06, the surface rust after a couple of winters is there. Tough to avoid it with all the salt our road crews lay down. I try to power wash it underneath at a self-serve car wash as temps allow but it still there. Never seen or heard of anyone rhino or line-x here, the dealers don't offer any rust treatment anymore as an add-on.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:36 AM   #7
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
i went to ziebart and had mine undercoated, im pretty sure it ran at about 200 now sure how much rhino is but they warrenty the spray and any parts covered for 10 years if that helps you sleep better at night
Old 12-17-2008, 06:48 AM   #8
chrisrothrock2000 is on a distinguished road

chrisrothrock2000's Tacoma Gallery
I too was thinking about doing the Ziebert. How did it come out? Any Pics? They are having a $200 special around me right now. Chris
Old 12-17-2008, 06:54 AM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i dont see rhino lining as being any better or worse than any other undercoating method out there...

and the rust problem with the older tacomas...rhino lining the underside of your truck aint gonna help it anyways...
Old 12-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Rhino lining and any of those coatings need a good PREP job for it to stick properly. So unless you PREP & scuff every inch of your undercarriage - it could flake off. Professionally installed Rhino Lining is thick and its expensive. Do-it-yourself Herculiner isn't as thick,is cheaper, is messy as all hell to apply. I personally don't think its worth the effort & cost. You're better off with regular off-the-shelf paint.

Is it really worth doing undercoating? Depends on many things.

Chances are - you'll spend all the time & money undercoating your truck, and 10 years down the road - something else will be the factor to kill the truck. The 1st gen frame rust issues is an example. All the undercoating in the world can't prevent that from happening. That's a failure on Toyota's part for not prepping the frames properly (internally). Will our 2nd gen trucks have the same fate? Who knows....
Old 12-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #11
hashemg has a spectacular aura abouthashemg has a spectacular aura about

hashemg's Tacoma Gallery
If you live in Salty areas within the United States, Tacoma frames are sprayed with2 extra coats of anticorrosion spray.

That was one of the first questions i asked when iw ent and bought my truck.....and so far i have every reason to belive them.

Plus.....as long and you get a car wash every other week to wash the salt off....u shoould be fine. just check the undercarriage in the spring and if you see an issue.....get line-x. but i would say see if they're stuff holds up before speninding ur money t get this done
Old 12-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
taconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nice

taconinja's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to taconinja
[quote=SLOTaco;285245]I think you could get the same anti rust effect from a cheaper undercoating like takomaman06 suggested, even a rattlecan version, however, if it's something you really are going to consider, use line-x, not rhino, IMO and in the pentagons opinion its good stuff, they are using it to BOMB PROOF the pentagon! "What does a company that makes pickup truck bed liners know about bombproofing buildings? In the case of California-based Line-X, enough to win a contract to help reinforce the Pentagon with a spray-on polymer coating called Paxcon. Derived from Line-X’s bed liners, Paxcon can be sprayed on existing structures. It is designed to reduce or eliminate damage caused by fragmentation, or possibly delay a building’s collapse until it can be evacuated. Paxcon is being applied to commercial and government buildings around the world." from popular mechanics http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...tml[/quote]

I saw something about this on a Discovery program like Mythbusters but instead of idiots the show is put on my scientists and engineers. It worked! I like my Herculiner
Old 12-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #13
Motorshooter
Motorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: IC2 SS
Motorshooter's Tacoma Gallery
After winter departs I always wash down my frame and scrub areas I can reach. I touch up the frame paint and spray WD-40 into the areas that I can't reach or I think might hold water and or salt.

I also soak down my frame in corners and boxed areas with WD-40 before the winter sets in

But thats just me