1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rhino line?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoTown, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Dec 16, 2008 at 8:54 PM
    TacoTown

TacoTown [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunnser SR5 Pyrite Mica
    I was having a casual conversation with someone concerning Tacomas/Tundras and they said that they recommend Rhino lining the undercarriage of Toyota trucks due to rust issues.

Has anyone done this? Is this for real?

Call me dumb but I have not heard of anything like this being done before!

2. Dec 16, 2008 at 8:57 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    basically..............its essentially the same as undercoating the frame and all on a car or truck. the rhino-liner is a spray in bed liner, but will work for undercoating too................although it may be more expensive then having a place do a normal undercoating spray.

3. Dec 16, 2008 at 9:15 PM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    I think you could get the same anti rust effect from a cheaper undercoating like takomaman06 suggested, even a rattlecan version, however, if it's something you really are going to consider, use line-x, not rhino, IMO and in the pentagons opinion its good stuff, they are using it to BOMB PROOF the pentagon! "What does a company that makes pickup truck bed liners know about bombproofing buildings? In the case of California-based Line-X, enough to win a contract to help reinforce the Pentagon with a spray-on polymer coating called Paxcon. Derived from Line-X’s bed liners, Paxcon can be sprayed on existing structures. It is designed to reduce or eliminate damage caused by fragmentation, or possibly delay a building’s collapse until it can be evacuated. Paxcon is being applied to commercial and government buildings around the world." from popular mechanics http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/4211265.html

4. Dec 17, 2008 at 4:39 AM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    rhino lining and linex are pretty hard when they dry. I think it might start to flack off after being hit with gravel and whatnot i have a rubberized undercoating still pliable even fully cured reduces road noise too.

5. Dec 17, 2008 at 4:51 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    I have an 05 TRD O.R. 4 door,
    If you go line-X/Rhino or rattle can, call is yours.
    I have been going under my ride since I purchased it, especially after the winter. I take a rattle can and hit area's here and there. I don't like to see that red/brown stuff. But you are going to, with a little prep in areas no big deal.
    You don't know what the road is going to throw your way, rocks, limbs, metal, road rubber, etc. A smack underneath is gonna happen, when it does. I go under inspect, and spray if needed.
    For me, alot cheaper than the other way, plus it gets me in the mod mood.
    I have a case of it here, that way I know it is all the same color, some are jet black some are a little greyer, and some have a little shine.
    No one knows the difference, plus when I do take it to the dealer for service, they ask if I ever drive it.

6. Dec 17, 2008 at 5:10 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Demoncleaner painted his undercarriage this winter and posted some pics somewhere on here. If he signs on I'm sure he'll let ya know or you can pm him. I remember seeing my snowmobile dealer painting all his trailers will por 15 and there is another product similiar. I am on the fence doing anything now with my 06, the surface rust after a couple of winters is there. Tough to avoid it with all the salt our road crews lay down. I try to power wash it underneath at a self-serve car wash as temps allow but it still there. Never seen or heard of anyone rhino or line-x here, the dealers don't offer any rust treatment anymore as an add-on. :confused:

7. Dec 17, 2008 at 5:36 AM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    i went to ziebart and had mine undercoated, im pretty sure it ran at about 200 now sure how much rhino is but they warrenty the spray and any parts covered for 10 years if that helps you sleep better at night

8. Dec 17, 2008 at 6:48 AM
    chrisrothrock2000

chrisrothrock2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Devil Horn Emblem, Access Bed Cover, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Bed Mat, AFE Dry Drop In Filter, Sock Monkey Decals, Custom Fishing Rod Holder
    I too was thinking about doing the Ziebert. How did it come out? Any Pics? They are having a $200 special around me right now. Chris

9. Dec 17, 2008 at 6:54 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i dont see rhino lining as being any better or worse than any other undercoating method out there...

and the rust problem with the older tacomas...rhino lining the underside of your truck aint gonna help it anyways...:rolleyes:

10. Dec 17, 2008 at 9:00 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Rhino lining and any of those coatings need a good PREP job for it to stick properly. So unless you PREP & scuff every inch of your undercarriage - it could flake off. Professionally installed Rhino Lining is thick and its expensive. Do-it-yourself Herculiner isn't as thick,is cheaper, is messy as all hell to apply. I personally don't think its worth the effort & cost. You're better off with regular off-the-shelf paint.

Is it really worth doing undercoating? Depends on many things.

Chances are - you'll spend all the time & money undercoating your truck, and 10 years down the road - something else will be the factor to kill the truck. The 1st gen frame rust issues is an example. All the undercoating in the world can't prevent that from happening. That's a failure on Toyota's part for not prepping the frames properly (internally). Will our 2nd gen trucks have the same fate? Who knows....

11. Dec 17, 2008 at 9:32 AM
    hashemg

hashemg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Reg Cab 4x4
    3" Lift, Camburg Coil-Overs and UCA, 3" All Pro Leafs and OME rear shock, 33X12.5R17 Mickey Thompson on teflon coated American racing rims, Black headlight mod, Black taillight mod, tourneau cover, cargo divider, door sil protecors.
    If you live in Salty areas within the United States, Tacoma frames are sprayed with2 extra coats of anticorrosion spray.

That was one of the first questions i asked when iw ent and bought my truck.....and so far i have every reason to belive them.

Plus.....as long and you get a car wash every other week to wash the salt off....u shoould be fine. just check the undercarriage in the spring and if you see an issue.....get line-x. but i would say see if they're stuff holds up before speninding ur money t get this done

12. Dec 17, 2008 at 9:54 AM
    taconinja

taconinja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    08 Base 4X4

Products Discussed in

To Top