1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would anyone be interested in FREE Powder Coating? Not joking either..

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Yamaha Dave, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Apr 2, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am trying to see if there would be any interest in free powder coating? No this isn't a joke or a scam lol. Here is the deal. I have access to some very nice and very expensive industrial coating aviation equipment, however I don't yet have the permission to use it but I am getting in good with the project manager of that division. I'm talking solvent tanks, cleaners, blasters, paint booths large enough for a plane, etc. etc. Now the company is irrelevant, but let's say it's in the Aerospace industry. So I talked with him a little about being able to use the facilities and equipment, but I don't know him well enough to ask him for permission. All directions lead to me being able to use it provided I pay for the supplies myself.

So the question is do you have anything you need powdercoated for FREE? You're probably asking why is he offering it free lol? Well it's very simple because I need practice and I need parts to practice on. You would have to ship the parts to me and I will ship them back provided you pay return shipping costs. Another caveat is there is obviously no warranty but hey it's free I don't know what else to say. I promise I'll try not to screw your stuff up, but I think with a little guidance from the project manager using the specialized equipment I think I'll be fine. Plus this is industrial grade aviation stuff. I'd like to start off small to get some experience using the equipment. Here is a list of things I'd like to start of with:

Radiator brackets, intake tubes, UCAs, shackles, any kind of metal brackets, small tubing, air lids, basically anything small and metal that I can fit in a box. I will move up to larger items like valve covers, light bars, wheels etc. later. As far as colors, I'd also like to start off using basic colors off a grey scale. I've seen the colors and if there is enough interest I can possibly get some color samples posted, but there is Satin Black, Flat Black, High Gloss Black, High Gloss Metallic Black, Extreme High Heat Black, Battleship Gray, Tank Gray, Light Gray, Primer Gray, Graphite gray (Charcoal) and tons more. I'll move on to custom colors later but for now those are it. The only thing I ask in return is that you post pictures here and give feedback for everyone to see. That's it.

Any takers?

:notsure:

2. Apr 2, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    spins615

spins615 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport
    If you only said this int he middle of winter!!! i have bike parts (rearsets and levers) that i want done, but the weather is just breaking here and i'd be like a lost puppy if i couldnt ride her :) I'll see if i can find spares, and if i can then i'll deff let you practice on those :)

3. Apr 2, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Member:
    ^Nice what are you riding? Also for the bike crowd this would include clutch and brake levers, reservoir caps, rearsets, fender eliminators, case covers, etc.

4. Apr 2, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    aznutx

aznutx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD
    awesome, if you're in austin, and do move up to larger things, i visit there frequently so you wouldn't have the hassle of shipping :D

5. Apr 2, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    Bama_TACO

Bama_TACO ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Member:
    Winfield, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Double Cab TRD SPORT
    I have a buddy I used to work with that has recently moved to Austin. I just emailed him and told him of your offer.

6. Apr 2, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    Oury

Oury Texas Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Oury
    Austin, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    stuff and more stuff
    Hey, I live in Austin, I got a few things you could practice on....

7. Apr 2, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Member:
    Nobody needs free powder coating???? Oh well no worries I'll just find some parts laying around somewhere. Should be nice. To all the ^^Austinites I'll be contacting you in about 3 weeks or so when I am ready. Thanks!

8. Apr 2, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    BWro

BWro Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a few things off my Brute Force I want PC'ed

9. Apr 2, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    IGO4LOW

IGO4LOW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fullerton, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4 w/ JBL Audio
    3" Procomp lift, 285/70 R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Procomp series 6005 wheels, Fog lights on Anytime mod, illuminated oem fog switch, bed mat, all weather floormats, CB Radio in dash, alternating turn signal mod, automatic center console light. Blacked out badges, D2s in the grille.
    I might have you do some brackets I had made for my lights.

10. Apr 2, 2012 at 9:08 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    why the hell aren't you in hawaii :mad:

11. Apr 2, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    Texio

Texio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 4WD DBCab SB
    Hey I'd take you up on it! I don't think I have anything small that needs powder coating right now, but I am thinking about getting a light bar and possibly a rear bumper protector in the near future, so if you keep going down this path I will let you know! Also, if I find anything smaller in the meanwhile that would need this treatment I'll definitely let you know.

Good luck and let us know how it proceeds!

12. Apr 2, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    Taco76087

Taco76087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma prerunner TRD SR5
    Rockford Fosgate p2 10'', Q-Logic Enclosure, JVC KD-PDR30 Ipod Connection, Rockford p200.2 Amp, Clear Corners, KING Coilovers, Rancho Rear shocks FJ TRD Trail Teams Wheels with 285/75/16 Duratracs
    I'm interested.

13. Apr 2, 2012 at 9:55 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Member:
    O.K. sounds good. Like I said this is industrial grade stuff that some of the public cannot purchase due to strict government regulations regarding contracts and certain coatings for certain "vessels." Anyways I don't know what I'll have access to as of yet, but my purpose to see if there was a need for it here on the board. I'll update this thread, but if I am able to gain access I'm thinking I can start accepting jobs in 3-4 weeks. I'll keep this thread updated.

14. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    Btnewman

Btnewman Benjamin Newman

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Grand Junction co
    Vehicle:
    Uh. It's beat to he//. But it's only 1 owner.
    Custom body work/damage ARB rear locker Bumpers Shocks Other parts Tires and Rims Air tank fully plumbed into truck "Golf ball mod"
    How bout a steel welded rc crawler chassis?

15. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:17 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Member:
    ^ I don't think I'll be able to get that passed security lol.

16. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:34 PM
    FFRNDAN

FFRNDAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Edinburg, Oh
    Vehicle:
    09 Acess Cab 4x4 MGM
    I have a couple BBQ grille grates (the part that you cook food on), cast iron i think that need blasted and coated with high temp. You mentioned a high heat powdercoating, right? These measure about 12"x12" or so. They are pretty rusty, and need blasted. I was just going to try and buy a new set, but if you can do it soon.... PM me.

17. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:37 PM
    wrxRome

wrxRome Houston's Swamp Rat

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Covington, LA/Friendswood,TX
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB 4x4 trd off road
    will keep you in mind next time i go to san antonio

18. Apr 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Member:

I would highly advise against powder coating the grilles grates. While the powder enough isn't extremely toxic, it's enough that it can be transferred onto to your food and make you sick.

19. Apr 3, 2012 at 6:25 AM
    ShaneG

ShaneG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 Prerunner SR5
    Bummer you halfway across the country. I've been wanting to have my TRD wheels powdercoated a dark, gunmetal gray. Good luck with your venture...

20. Apr 3, 2012 at 6:39 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2. This is a great offer, wish I was closer so I didn't have to pay to ship!

Bump for you, this is a great deal! :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top