Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bilstien Shocks

Old 07-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
reid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

reid's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstien Shocks

When I was installing my cat-back exhaust I noticed that the shocks on my 07 V6 SR5 were Bilstien. I thought that these only came with the TRD package. Can anyone give me some info on this. On the toyota site, they say that if you get the TRD package you get upgraded to Bilstien shocks, I am confused.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
No idea, sounds like you lucked out. I assume you are the first owner?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
reid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

reid's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I bought it brand new. I am from Canada. I wonder if there are differences between the US and Canadian models.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Dude i really dont know. I know some options are different between Canada and the US but everything should be fairly identical unless you special ordered something. I really have no idea but if you find out let me know, you got me all curious now
Old 07-18-2007, 10:28 AM   #5

reid's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if the Bilstien shocks in my SR5 are a step down, and the shocks in the TRD are maybe better Bilstien shock. Do you know what number the TRD ones are, I will try to find a part number or name on mine.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #6

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid View Post
I wonder if the Bilstien shocks in my SR5 are a step down, and the shocks in the TRD are maybe better Bilstien shock. Do you know what number the TRD ones are, I will try to find a part number or name on mine.
dont know, TRDiety may have an idea though...
Old 07-19-2007, 02:15 PM   #7
LRH is on a distinguished road
LRH's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein

Could it be because the Canadian models get (at least by TSB) the thicker spring pack? The DC's in the US have had the most complaints about bottoming, and Canada gets the differing spring pack, so perhaps shocks with a higher damping level are sent to Canada. What color are these shocks? They could also be just an aditional supplier in case Tokiko can't keep up with production.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:39 PM   #8

reid's Tacoma Gallery
They are the yellow and blue Bilstien shocks. Front and Back. Are these the same that are in anyones TRD. They have a sticker on them that says Toyota Bilstien.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
LRH is on a distinguished road
LRH's Tacoma Gallery
Strange, could be a Canadian thing. My first PreRunner V6 back in 1998 was not a TRD model, but that year the V6 automatics got the variable wound springs, Bilstein shocks, and the rear leaf pack with long negative arched overload leaf. Per the brochures and order guides the were not supposeed to be that way. Might have been trying to use up inventory.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:10 PM   #10
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They are the yellow and blue Bilstien shocks. Front and Back. Are these the same that are in anyones TRD. They have a sticker on them that says Toyota Bilstien.
Judging by your avatar pic, it looks like your truck is a TRD. Do you have more pics of your truck?? And yes, the TRD model has the blue and yellow bilstien shocks front and back, here in Canada.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:57 PM   #11

reid's Tacoma Gallery
Trust me, not a TRD. 245 tires, no rear tair gate outlet, no TRD seat trim. But I have found the problem. When I got my truck repainted after someone hit me last month, I looked at the paperwork from the painter. At the top of the page it stated my VIN code and all of the options. It claims I have a tow package (TRD) and an automatic. I dont have either. I called the painter and he said that they do huge runs of a particular option set of each vehicle. They had probably just made a couple hundred TRD tacomas. Then my truck was next. He said that they use up the last of everything on the next couple of trucks. ie. vin code, shocks etc. My truck was slated to be an SR5 but received one of the last vin codes and shock sets from the last batch. I called two dealers and they both said this stuff happens all of the time. I think I just lucked out. And yes I bought the truck brand new. Not a rebuild.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #12
Mudbug is on a distinguished road

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
No fair! where are my bilstiens!
Old 07-21-2007, 07:09 PM   #13
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
correct me if i am wrong. but isnt the (towpkg) like a road hazard program?
Old 07-22-2007, 05:11 PM   #14

reid's Tacoma Gallery
I think the towpkg was the trailer hitch, upgraded shocks, etc.
I really dont know for sure. I just know that I was trying to choose between a SR5 and a TRD, but eventually choose the SR5. I think I just lucked out on the shocks.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:50 PM   #15
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
towing package

Class-4 towing hitch, transmission oil cooler (automatic transmission models), supplemental engine oil cooler, heavy-duty battery, 130-amp alternator and 7-pin connector with converter
Old 07-23-2007, 12:58 PM   #16

reid's Tacoma Gallery
Ok I could not let this go. I went to 3 dealerships here in BC. EVERY SINGLE V6 TACOMA HAS BILSTIEN SHOCKS. It does not matter whether it is a SR5 or a TRD, they all have bilstien shocks front and back. Toyota has advertised that you get Bilstien shocks when you upgrade to the TRD, but you get them on any V6. I am going to email Toyota and see if I can get a reason why.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #17
notlawd is on a distinguished road
notlawd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When I was installing my cat-back exhaust I noticed that the shocks on my 07 V6 SR5 were Bilstien. I thought that these only came with the TRD package. Can anyone give me some info on this. On the toyota site, they say that if you get the TRD package you get upgraded to Bilstien shocks, I am confused.
I am getting ready to order my first Taco and can not decide between the TRD or just the SR5. Are you happy with your decision with the SR5 only? How are the seats?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:39 PM   #18
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
must be a canadian thing eh? i had to get my own.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #19

reid's Tacoma Gallery
I am very happy with the SR5. It is not just the SR5 though. I really think that if you are going to get a truck you cannot go wrong with the tacoma. The reason I got the SR5 and not the TRD was because I figured i would change a lot of the TRD options anyway. I am raising my truck 3" and putting new rims and tires on it. So I didnt need those TRD options. I plan on getting some great seat covers. So I didnt need that option either. SR5 adds a lot to your truck and is worth every penny. If you are not into working on your truck and customizing it, then the TRD might be for you.
The seats are great. So far no complaints about anything.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #20
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
I am very happy with the SR5. It is not just the SR5 though. I really think that if you are going to get a truck you cannot go wrong with the tacoma. The reason I got the SR5 and not the TRD was because I figured i would change a lot of the TRD options anyway. I am raising my truck 3" and putting new rims and tires on it. So I didnt need those TRD options. I plan on getting some great seat covers. So I didnt need that option either. SR5 adds a lot to your truck and is worth every penny. If you are not into working on your truck and customizing it, then the TRD might be for you.
The seats are great. So far no complaints about anything.
I love my SR5 seats too.