1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dilemma..So I'm thinking about selling my truck and getting a Subaru BRZ...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 1Baddtaco, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Apr 5, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    hoss 011

hoss 011 Scoops for everyone

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR
    Not one single rwd car in WRC either. Go figure. STi (or tuned WRX) also = 300 hp, BRZ = 200 hp. Might also make for a different driving experience.

2. Apr 5, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    I have read quite a bit on these cars. They will be fitted with Prius tires. They say that that will encourage people to explore the limit of the car more easily. Lower center of gravity that a 911 too. I might not buy one, but you can bet I'm going for a heck of a test drive!

3. Apr 5, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I'd never get rid of my truck, mainly cause I make use of it. I'd love the BRZ as a second fun car though.

Anyone complaining about HP obviously is missing the point of this car and it's probably not for them. 200hp, rwd, and 2600lb's makes for a fun car. The only people complaining are those who haven't touched the car, yet I've yet to hear one negative view and most say it's a great drivers car. If you like to drive fast in a straight line, this isn't for you. Only car that is really close to being compared to this would be the Mazda MX-5. Could throw the RX-8 in there as well although that car is on the way out.

4. Apr 5, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    Blueberry

Blueberry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Newton, KS
    Vehicle:
    T/X Pro named Blueberry by my daughter
    Custom Roofrack, Satoshi, Ammo-can in bed, Hi-lift, 2 HID Hella 700's, 4 Automatcentral 7" Offroad Lamps, 2 Hella Work/Bed Lamps, "Derp'd" Radio and Shifter Console, Anytime Fog-light mod, Anytime Rearview Camera mod, DTRL mod, Awesome TW sticker mod.
    The front end reminds me of this...
    [​IMG]
    But it's all about what tugs at your strings. If it's something you want then go for it. I'm sure the Tacoma will bring in a fair about of cash. I'd sell it rather than trade it in though. You'll get more cash that way.

5. Apr 5, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    tacostory

tacostory Member

Member:
    First Name:
    keith
    vancouver wa
    Vehicle:
    04 taco supreme
    3 link, dana 60 rear axles narrowed tacoma width all toyota outters, ORI struts up front 42' pitbull rockers exoed and working on a monster energy sponsor
    they are sick cars! BUUUUUTTTTT 200hp. def disappointed i wish they would have atleast put the WRX motor and some boost in it. i would hold out.

6. Apr 5, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Rally is a traction limited situation on dirt and gravel....this car is meant for neither. And the power difference is substantial enough that the WRX will be faster for sure. But the BRZ is only 2800lbs so that helps in other areas too. :D

7. Apr 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Thats nice and all so LATERS.

8. Apr 5, 2012 at 9:43 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    Who drives their car off road at extreme high speeds? For strictly street use in non-snow months RWD is the way to go. Look at all the high end exotics, all RWD. Even the RWD Lambos outperform their AWD counterparts. AWD is better all around, but RWD is better for street performance.....just crap on dirt, snow, gravel, etc. haha

I will have to see the BRZ vs FRS in person for styling and also to get a feel for the size. I had a Prelude since I was 16 ('89, 90, 91, then a '99) If its comparable in size to that I would be interested, but not if its closer to a Miata size.
    As for the 200hp, thats fine with me. My last 'Lude was quick with the 200hp VTEC FWD and not really a "light" car. Not crazy fast but quicker than most traffic and enough power to pass with ease. I was always more of a back-road-corners kinda guy anyway. I have a bike if I want to go stupid fast.

9. Apr 5, 2012 at 9:44 PM
    03 taco

03 taco Active Member

Member:
    orange county, ca
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 sr5 v6 trd
    trd supercharger, trd headers, 7th injector, injen intake, magnaflow exhaust
    i would just wait another year subaru might come out with turbo version later and your going to regret it. if you want power put a trd supercharger best mod ever!!

10. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    hoss 011

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR
    You guys obviously haven't seen enough rally. They do tarmac (or paved road, for the haters) stages/rallies as well. You can argue that rwd is "traction limited" also, with enough horsepower or the wrong weather conditions .

I do appreciate the fact that they are trying to bring back affordable rwd cars. Hopefully Subaru does an STI version and doesn't keep it a BRzzzzzzzz.

11. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM
    hoss 011

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR
    Nissan GT-R
    Porsche 911 Turbo
    Bugatti Veyron
    etc
    Not saying rwd isn't fast, but the exotic club ain't exclusive to them.

12. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    As with anything, of course there are exceptions. Generally speaking, rwd are faster on street courses. The F1 comment before is the evidence. The fastest cars designed for road courses all rwd.
    WRC cars are fast on all surfaces, but a rwd car made for pavement only is faster.

Btw I would hardly consider a gtr or a 911 as exotics.

13. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM
    ACE808

ACE808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DDS
    808 State
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Toytec 3" lift light racing uca moto metals 17" (958) k&n intake Helix throttle body Borla exhaust Nfab step bar All-pro transfer case shield All-pro spindle gussets All-pro sway bar links All-pro E-locker guard All-pro rear differential armor All-pro U-bolt flip kit L.E.D. White/Blue Dash Gauge lighting Full alpine stereo with TV screens Clifford alarm optima red top battery Full wet okole seats auto meter gauges (oil pressure & volt meter) Ebc slotted & dimpled rotor Goodrich braided brake lines Hawks Lts brake pads Rear diff breather relocation
    I would definitely wait till the turbo model comes out.

Pppppppsssssssssttttttttmmmmmmm

14. Apr 6, 2012 at 12:27 AM
    F75gunslinger

F75gunslinger Ka like a wheel

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Rochester,NY
    Vehicle:
    SWB '10 Doublecab TRD Sport 4x4
    Cluster and Radio LED swap,Westin bull bar,2nd set of bed tie downs,URD SS,K&N filter,weathertechs
    Not impressed with the direction that the auto makers are going in now. Of course it's all due to the mileage requirements they now have to try to meet or face penalties. Sucks for performance minded enthusiasts. A beautiful car like that should have a fire breathing model offered . Simple as that.

15. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:13 AM
    hoss 011

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR
    Generally speaking, F1 is an exception. They drive on specifically designed tracks, not "street courses", and are governed by specifc rules as far as engines, traction control etc.
    Yeah, GT-R and 911 Turbo may not be exotics in your town, but their Nurburgring times are faster than most. But we digress..... BRZ will probably be more fun than a truck, especially with aftermarket support. Ken Gushi is already testing a Greddy FR-S.

16. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
  17. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    OverRated

OverRated Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma / TRD-OR / DCSB
    funny, i was saving my money and waiting on the BRZ but decided i needed something more piratical and bought the 12' tacoma. 2 months later the brz came out and im still drooling.. haha

18. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    brny67

brny67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    dont do it unless it will make u very happy:cool:

19. Apr 6, 2012 at 12:37 PM
    kiteboarder

kiteboarder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.
    Unfortunately, that's not right. Driving AWD is good and easier. But it is a scientific fact from the books of automotive encyclopedia of awesome knowledge that RWD is more fun.

20. Apr 6, 2012 at 12:42 PM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    Subaru's are great. I've never seen a pic of this BRZ, but damn... I may trade in my Tundra CrewMax for one!

J/K... but it is a nice looking car that is for sure. Do it OP!

Products Discussed in

To Top