Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Strange Engine Noise

Old 04-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
FrijolPower is on a distinguished road

Name: Manuel
FrijolPower's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Strange Engine Noise

Been looking for answers on existing threads, but nobody seems to be having the same issue I am. First a little background I have a 2008 PreRunner TRD Off Road, it has 40K (mostly babied) miles on it, I have added a TRD CAI and TRD Cat back.

In the last couple of weeks I have noticed a strange sound from what appears to be the engine. The best way to describe it is a cross between a tap and creaking sound. Imagine holding a piece of foil taut and dropping metal ball bearings on it (sounds strange but the best way I can describe it). I have noticed it most uphill at low RPM (1000 to 1500) in that between gears area - truck has shifted to a higher gear before ascending up hill and hasnt shifted down yet and I havent given more gas.

I have checked for any loose parts in the engine compartment that might be creating the sound and havent found anything - any ideas?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like pinging. Preignition when under a strain. I haven't experienced it with any later model, computer controlled engine, though. Maybe that is just because of better sound insulation. The best way to stop it is to shift to a lower gear. A little bit of pinging won't hurt anything, but it is probably best to avoid it.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #3

Thanks buddy! I won't worry too much about it for now, unless it gets worse - probably like everybody on here, I know EVERY sound my truck makes, even with music full blast I can hear the slightest change. Trips my wife out.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #5

No, I have had it in for about a year and a half, and the CAI intake for a little over a year.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Mine had a similar noise prior to my first plug change. I could even feel the low rpm stutter at times. The NGK bank had widened considerably by 30k and replacing them fixed it.

You have 40k. Did you change them yet?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
What brand and what octane fuel are you running?
^^This

Mine pings on 87 octane in the situation that you describe.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #9

I only fill it up with Tier 1 gas, and 87 octane. I am embarrassed to say i havent changed my plugs - I just bought some NGKs and was planning on installing them next weekend when I finally have a chance.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Plugs will make a noticeable difference. Top Tier 87 octane is fine for these engines.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
Plugs will make a noticeable difference. Top Tier 87 octane is fine for these engines.
I agree that the 87 isn't going to hurt the engine. The knock sensor will hear the ping and the ECM will back the timing off. But mine does ping on Chevron and Shell 87 octane. It's only for a second or two, then goes away. 89 or higher and it never pings. MPG goes up too. As always, YMMV.