Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Pop & Lock Install Problem 2012 Tacoma

Old 04-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
Sawtooth is on a distinguished road
Name: John
Sawtooth's Tacoma Gallery
Pop & Lock Install Problem 2012 Tacoma

I just tried to install the PL5300 in my 2012 and I could not get the camera to fit without cramming it in. Maybe I got a defective unit because the fit and finish was terrible. Is the camera been a problem for anyone? Thanks, John
Old 04-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing I have heard is that you need to re route the camera cable and this step is not mentioned in the instructions manual?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
Sawtooth is on a distinguished road
Name: John
Sawtooth's Tacoma Gallery
My problem was with camera fitting in the Pop Lock. If that had worked it would have been an easy install. The only way to get the camera to fit would have been to enlarge the opening in the handle assembly. I called their tech dept but they must be closed. I'm sending it back and I hope the replacement is a better fit.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Tuctaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Todd
Tuctaco's Tacoma Gallery
I install the remote Pop & Lock. All you do is install the solinoid inside the tailgate. You don't even touch the handle and camera.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
Biznitch15 is on a distinguished road

Navy: PO2
Name: José
Biznitch15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S7ICKlVlAN View Post
OP, return the 5300 and get the 8521.
Hey. So just installed the 8521. I had one issue where I would unlock the truck and then it would lock itself within 30seconds. ?????didnt have time to fix it cause I was already late to work. Left the truck at home and the wife says the backup camera doesn't work either. Anyone else have these issues? I'll just have to wait until tomorrow morning to do anything.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biznitch15 View Post
Hey. So just installed the 8521. I had one issue where I would unlock the truck and then it would lock itself within 30seconds. ?????didnt have time to fix it cause I was already late to work. Left the truck at home and the wife says the backup camera doesn't work either. Anyone else have these issues? I'll just have to wait until tomorrow morning to do anything.
Never mind the camera issue. I forgot to plug the camera connector. But I still have the lock issue.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The Tacoma auto locks after 30 seconds all the time, it has nothing to do with the pop and lock. It's supposed to, to stop it from doing this you need to open one of the cab doors.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
Factory Pilot
TxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Water Sprayer & naysayer
TxFireman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
The Tacoma auto locks after 30 seconds all the time, it has nothing to do with the pop and lock. It's supposed to, to stop it from doing this you need to open one of the cab doors.
Good catch, bj! The system will re-arm if no doors are opened. So, if you're checking the tailgate by unlocking it via the remote, and didn't open and close a cab door, then you're experiencing normal system re-arming. It's just a failsafe to prevent you from unlocking it and leaving it that way.

Try that and see if it corrects your issue.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
rockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant futurerockhopjohn has a brilliant future

rockhopjohn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
I just tried to install the PL5300 in my 2012 and I could not get the camera to fit without cramming it in. Maybe I got a defective unit because the fit and finish was terrible. Is the camera been a problem for anyone? Thanks, John
I didn't have to do any cramming, but I didn't feel like the camera seated all the way down like it should into the Pop and Lock assembly, and when I screwed the retaining plate back down to the back I really have to work to get the holes to line up because it wasn't really seated very well.

All that being said, it went back together and seems to work just fine. Although I did have a problem with it wanting to lock itself after opening the bed a few times, so you might want to watch for that.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...s-how-fix.html
Old 09-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFireman View Post
Good catch, bj! The system will re-arm if no doors are opened. So, if you're checking the tailgate by unlocking it via the remote, and didn't open and close a cab door, then you're experiencing normal system re-arming. It's just a failsafe to prevent you from unlocking it and leaving it that way.

Try that and see if it corrects your issue.

Yeah thanks man. I'll try that. I'll update later tonight. Never noticed the auto lock. I've only had my truck for 3 weeks. So if I unlock the tailgate via the remote but don't open any doors, then will the tailgate still lock? I'm kind of answering my own question. I think it does but I can't remember since I had to leave for work immediately and can't remember.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
Factory Pilot
TxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Water Sprayer & naysayer
TxFireman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah thanks man. I'll try that. I'll update later tonight. Never noticed the auto lock. I've only had my truck for 3 weeks. So if I unlock the tailgate via the remote but don't open any doors, then will the tailgate still lock? I'm kind of answering my own question. I think it does but I can't remember since I had to leave for work immediately and can't remember.
I don't have the pop-lock myself, also only 3 weeks old, but since it's on the system, yes it should relock if you don't open a cab door. I don't know that opening the tailgate in that time will interrupt the default or not, since I don't have it to try. But I do know you should have to press the button twice, once is for the drivers door, and twice unlocks everything else, and in your case, should be when the TG unlocks. Open a door and close it, and see if that stops it from relocking after 30 secs.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #14
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yep, it relocks all the doors, which will also lock your tailgate since you tied into the door locking system to make it work.