1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I take added equipment off when I trade-in?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cgriffin, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    cgriffin

cgriffin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Warrior, AL
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Dbl Cab w/Long Bed, TRD CAI
    TRD Intake, Bed Cover, Electronic Tailgate Lock,
    I'm going to trade in my truck and get my wife a new 4runner. Is it worth leaving my TRD CAI, bed cover, and electronic tailgate lock on when I do or should I take all that off?

2. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    4banger09

4banger09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Access cab 4cyl
    Leveled
    Depends on what they will give you for it, I know a lot of the time they won't add that stuff in but seeing as you are doing a trade in you may be able to get a few extras out of them.

3. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    SodakTaco

SodakTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCab TRD Sport
    Floor mats
    Take it off, you'll be able to sell those individually for more than they'll give you trade in. What are you going to drive after your Tacoma is gone?

4. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    186000mps

186000mps ..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, Toytec front adjustable coilover kit, Exporear leafs, Fox resi rears, Slotted & Drilled front rotors, 33x12.50 BFG ATs on Outlaw II 15 x 10s, Bushwacker cutout flares, K&N cold air intake with aluminum sheathing water baffles, ARB bumper with XD9000 winch with wireless remote, IPF 900XS lights, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Rhino bed liner, UWS gullwing toolbox with tools and recovery gear. 48" Hi-Lift Jack secured under toolbox.
    When I traded our little Bimmer in for our 4Runner, the dealer went by book value only. So I took off all the performance gear and sold them separately.

5. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:07 AM
    tommyg29

tommyg29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB PreRunner Sport
    if you can remove things to return the truck to stock without much hassle, you generally will make more money that way. Especially on trade in. Dealers will probably give you virtually nothing extra for it.

6. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    brny67

brny67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    take it off and sell it on here or craigslist, stealership will not give u anything for ur upgrades,it is really funny how these stealerships will give u nothing for ur upgrades but if u leave them on ur truck and u go back and talk with another sales rep they wil use those upgrades as their sales pitch, scumbags imho....off of soap box:eek:

7. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    tommyg29

tommyg29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB PreRunner Sport
    yep,
    like in the other post where a guy just picked up a used taco with a supercharger. They probably gave that seller nothing for all his upgrades

8. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Always sell vehicles as stock as you can get them. No one cares about aftermarket add-ons. Sell the items here

9. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    I'd remove those parts and sell them. I'm sure they would sell pretty fast on here.

10. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Depends. Like the CAI (assuming you still have the stock one) probably get enough to make it worthwhile.

Bed cover - depends on condition.

Tailgate lock - probably can't sell it for enough used, once you consider shipping, to make it worth the hassle of opening the tailgate and taking it out. But YMMV.

11. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    bubbagumps

bubbagumps Well-Known Member

Member:
    It really depends on how much the add-ons are worth. If its something like a bullbar thats been on there for a few years, the dealer won't care and don't expect to get anything extra.

But if you have relatively new accessories--especially performance ones, that should be part of your demands for the trade-in amount. The dealer will try to tell you they don't factor that in. But do not listen to them and flat-out refuse.

Trust me, they WILL advertise the mods when selling the truck and use that as leverage in a used car sale if the mods are decent. If the dealer does want the truck, they will at least partially give in to your demands if the mods are in good condition and you don't go overboard. These are Tacomas and used ones sell pretty fast--any mods will make it easier for a dealer to sell it quickly and jack up the asking price to boot. When a customer comes back and says, "But the Kelly blue book value says.." the dealer will cut him off and say, "But this truck has all these mods and add-ons"

The dealers use this to boost the sales price and so should you.

12. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Sold everything except the aftermarket hu either on CL or TW when I traded in the tacoma.
    popNlock, weathertechs, tonneau, nerf bars, wet okoles, a.r.e. cap, TRD headlights, even whatever I had for not used mnt items (cabin & oil filter, light bulbs).
    I would have sold that darn headunit too but I told the dealer it was in there. I almost took it out. They did use it advertising. It was only a $150 headunit new.
    It worked out much better than trading it in (about 2k).

13. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    floridaoccifer

floridaoccifer Civil Servant

Member:
    I received $.00 for the add-ons I left behind... IMO, if you can, pull them off and sell them locally or here

14. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    If you sell the truck yourself, the add-ons might attract a similar buyer or make yours look better than another stocker. But if the buyer doesn't care, like the dealer doesn't, you're just throwing it away.

15. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    buddy of mine works for a dealership, he's always stripping cars down to stock before they go for sale...that's how he upgraded his car stereo

16. Apr 6, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    dfalcon217

dfalcon217 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    In my experience and my cousin working for carmax, you usually don't get more for anything added. Audio, add ons even wheels. Usually employees, mechanics n porters fight over who gets what off your car lol.

17. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    dusman

dusman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Windsor, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD ORDC MGM
    dealership isn't going to give much if anything, in fact, I have heard from quite a few that you probably aren't even home yet and they are stripping out, your mods for themselves to put it back to stock and if they don't they will resell at a higher price to some other guy

18. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    cgriffin

Member:
    Warrior, AL
    Vehicle:
    My Tacoma was a toy mainly. I always wanted one so I talked my wife into trading in her 06 4runner for it when we got married. I drive a company truck, and she drives a 01 Carrola back and forth to work. When we get the new 4runner, the wife will drive it and I'll probably sell the Carrola and find an older 1st gen Taco for a toy.

19. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    cgriffin

Member:
    Warrior, AL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the help. Stay tuned for all my extras to be posted in the Buy/Sell section.

20. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:39 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    When I traded my '05 for the '10, the dealer removed my Ride Rite air bags for me (I installed to solve the harsh ride bad springs), no fee, no problem... I wanted them because I wasn't sure if I would need them for the '10. I didn't! I had already removed my light bar.

So, take off anything you added before trading it in.

Products Discussed in

To Top