1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Taco Overrated?? New truck Review.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SLOJAM, Apr 6, 2012.

?

Do you think the 2nd gen Taco is overrated?

Poll closed May 6, 2012.
  1. Yes

61 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. No

304 vote(s)
    67.9%
  3. A little bit

83 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. Apr 27, 2012 at 5:50 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Well, yes. It's one of the few mid-sized trucks, so they could reduce the overall vehicle dimensions. They could also reduce cargo and towing capacity. All this would obviously help achieve better fuel economy. However, it would also make the Tacoma just like so many of the other vehicles available - meaning I likely would have been looking at something else.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

2. Apr 27, 2012 at 6:04 AM
    Oury

Oury Texas Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Oury
    Austin, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    stuff and more stuff
    first thing I thought after watching this video,

Damn that dude is dumb and just reading a script.... My dad figured out the bed rail system and he is twice that dudes age ahahaa

3. Apr 27, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    drsus

drsus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRDpro
    stock
    it is 2012, but its not a 2012 truck, its a 2005-engineered-engine regardless of how any changes they made to the actual truck. and for a 2005 the MPG is damn respectable. The new 4 runner is running an updated vernon of it and it gets slightly better HP and MPG but nothing to make it a difference.
    Toyota is obviously ready to release a totally new v6 for their trucks and I'm sure it will raise the MPG......but don't expect anything above the 30s anytime soon.

4. Apr 27, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    2bnb driver

2bnb driver Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    central virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 prerunner , 13 sr5 4wd
    The guy cant figure out the tie downs yet he refers to the instrument panel as low tech. Certainly dont give this man an ipod. Its such a new revelation that an oversized man doesnt fit well in the back seat of a mid sized truck. Sheer genius there. How about he compares apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

5. Apr 27, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    me thinks he ate 'em all :D

6. May 4, 2012 at 10:14 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    I love my truck and nobody can change that. He obviously is pretty dumb for not figuring out how to use the rail system. Perfect for what I need and I love it! I will have it for the rest of my life!

7. May 4, 2012 at 11:08 PM
    tacocolin

tacocolin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Cloudcroft New Mexico.
    Vehicle:
    Kevin's (ATO) bad ass rig he built
    Everything Kevin from ATO did on his... and then some. LOL

Not until they make a prius truck. LOL

8. May 5, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    IslandBoy71

IslandBoy71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reggie
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner Sport SR5 DC
    TRD Intake,Flowmaster Super 10 exhaust, King 2.5 c/o adjusted to 3inch front and King 2.5 rears w/AAL. Custom bed rack, rock sliders and rear tire carrier.
    Tacomas are priced higher than any mid size trucks import or domestic, new or used. One thing is for sure you get what you paid for. Mine just hit 165k and it still runs as good as it did when i rolled off the dealer 7 years ago.

9. May 5, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    jungleman

jungleman There can be only one

Member:
    North California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab Indigo Blue
    Bought new Nov `04
    Besides normal things like fluids, spark plugs, tires, battery, gas etc this truck has cost me exactly----a couple wheel bearings, clockspring, and a compass.

Just found out I may be getting reimbursed for the spiral cable thank you Toyota :)

The best reviews come from people that actually OWN and USE the product not some dumazz that can`t even figure out the simplest of features in a week and only points out the obvious things that matter to him and the rest of us who use the truck as A TRUCK could care less about.

Please quit making TRUCKS more CAR like based on input from pavement pounders I had to add Timbrens so I could haul my quad offroad.

And could you please PLEASE quit adding electronics!
    Keep the cost down, I can install a stereo and prefer picking out my own, I don`t need a tire pressure sensor, an ipod interface, a gps for finding the finest restaurant, etc. etc. etc.

Keep the Tacoma a T-R-U-C-K

Thank you

My only complaint about the seating is the total lack of a 60/40 bench seat. Not everybody`s into buckets, my dog doesn`t fit in his very well and it`s kind of nice when your girl can slide next to you on long drives.

10. May 5, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    dfrugia

dfrugia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Goose
    Roswell, NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD OFF RD 4X4
    Running boards w/steps, Weathertechs
    I love mine, went from an 09 to 12...

11. May 5, 2012 at 3:03 PM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    Only about 3 times a week, every week of the year...mail, email mostly, but phone calls, too, depending on how desperate they are for sales prospects.

12. May 6, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    GreenMountainBoy

GreenMountainBoy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 2.7L 5spd. Manual
    As I see it, it's not all about the bells and whistles but more about the reliability. Sure all the extras are nice but if your having major machanical problem and your odometer just turn 30,000 then the extras don't seem to matter.

13. May 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    kodiakkid

kodiakkid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kodiak, AK
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5- TRD-off road
    Performance: Flowmaster cat back exhaust, KNN Drop in Filter, Locker anytime Icon 2.5 coilovers in front set at 2.5" Icon rear shocks Toytec 2.5" add a leaf Rims/Tires: 16" XD enduros, 255/85/16 KM2 Looks: Black LED tail lights, 55w 6000K HID headlights, 35w 6000k HID fogs, TRD 6spd shift knob, De-baged, "Sock- Monkey" black badges, color matched chrome grill surround New front bumper- No license plate drill holes : ) Custom Devil Horns
    I think this guy is kind of an idiot. Anyone who spends more then 30 seconds trying to figure out the rear bed cleats has some problems IHMO. Tacoma may be a bit overrated, but most people shopping for a compact/mid sized truck don't want to buy a full sized "boat" to drive down the road.

14. May 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM
    tmreyes1

tmreyes1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T-Rey
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD
    I have owned 2 Tundras (new style) an FJ cruiser and now my 2012 DCSB TRD 4x4 and by far the best of them all. I kept buying vehicles till I found what suited all my needs. I hunt, fish and a little bit of off road and by far the Tacoma is the best for all of that and still fits in my garage even with the 3 inch lift and tires. I found my keeper. The only bad thing is the hole it is burning in my pocket doing all the mods and custom work thanks to all TW members, but it is fun and worth it.

15. Nov 28, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    iamjoealex

iamjoealex Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joey
    new Bedford ma.
    Vehicle:
    12 trd sport dcsb
    i just bought a 2012 dcsb trd sport manual transmission before i checked outh the new tacoma i went to chevrolet looking for a new silverado half ton i picked one out the price on it was 35 freakin thing was a bonerack 35 grand for a truck that doesnt even come with the biggest engine it had a 4.8 wtf??? all it had was power windows and a couple other things ...keep in mind the truck i was trading in was a silverado ....i started looking at preowned chevy's like 10's and 11's there was already rust on the frames and what not....i went to toyota and the tacoma frames / bodys ect. looked like my 2012 brand new ...i paid 30 for my truck got an assload of options if you got these option in a chevy it would be like 45 grand no wonder their company went downhill

Products Discussed in

To Top