Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2010 Toyota Tacoma Alternator Squeal on Cold start!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
StandupTaco is on a distinguished road
StandupTaco's Tacoma Gallery
2010 Toyota Tacoma Alternator Squeal on Cold start!

First time this happened! Wifey started the truck cold and what a squeal from the alternator!!!! I was out back building a deck and I hear the squeal which thought it was a PSV letting go and pressure relieving at the neighbors house. The second time it happend I hear my wife coming around the corner of the house saying it was the Tacoma making the noise. I ran out to hear it but it wouldn't make the noise. I asked her to turn on the fan to put a demand on the alternator and wham......

Took this video to show dealer just in case they don't believe me. I put an automotive stethoscope on it to be certain where it's coming from and it's definitely the alternator for sure. Like I mentioned it happens when a load is put on the system like turning on the heater blower motor/fan. I think I can Rule out the belt but could be a bearing.

http://youtu.be/VeV2xq1oygE

Wondering now if I should attempt to drive it 1hr to the dealer or call Roadside assistance on Tuesday ( AFter the holiday is over ).
Never heard anything like that before from any Toyota I've owned...WOW!
Anyone else have an issue like this? Oh, and 40,500kms on it now but dont mind all the salt in the engine bay, it will get cleaned later...
Old 04-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
seric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
seric007's Tacoma Gallery
its toast, worst case it freezes and take outs your serpentine - but that's unlikely.

if i was you, i'd just drive it in (then again, i wouldnt have a need as this is something i would fix myself )

edit: warranty, screw it drive it in make them replace the belt too.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
2011Streaker will become famous soon enough2011Streaker will become famous soon enough
Law Enforcement:
2011Streaker's Tacoma Gallery
holy rust batman
Old 04-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Streaker View Post
holy rust batman
Typical for this climate! Good thing I had it undercoated, and rustchecked, it's only the engine compartment stuff that looks bad...Oh well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seric007 View Post
its toast, worst case it freezes and take outs your serpentine - but that's unlikely.

if i was you, i'd just drive it in (then again, i wouldnt have a need as this is something i would fix myself )

edit: warranty, screw it drive it in make them replace the belt too.
Hope I don't get stranded on the side of the road on the way in. It's a 1hr drive....
Old 04-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
N Y Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Richard
N Y Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have run into this problem many times. It's the alternator squealing under a load. Most times they will squeal for a few seconds and then stop. It's not a bearing problem, so there will be no problem driving it.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
2011Streaker will become famous soon enough2011Streaker will become famous soon enough
Law Enforcement:
2011Streaker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandupTaco View Post
Typical for this climate! Good thing I had it undercoated, and rustchecked, it's only the engine compartment stuff that looks bad...Oh well!

Hope I don't get stranded on the side of the road on the way in. It's a 1hr drive....
what climate is that??????
Old 04-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Y Tacoma View Post
I have run into this problem many times. It's the alternator squealing under a load. Most times they will squeal for a few seconds and then stop. It's not a bearing problem, so there will be no problem driving it.
Good to know! Question is, will they change it out under warranty or tell me to live with it til it dies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Streaker View Post
what climate is that??????
An Unforgivable one, plagued with Salt Ocean spray, above average Rainfall, horrible winters with Salt/gravel on the roads that sandblast any vehicle which turns Iron back to its original state ( Iron Ore ) in record time! Give up?
Old 04-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good to know! Question is, will they change it out under warranty or tell me to live with it til it dies?

An Unforgivable one, plagued with Salt Ocean spray, above average Rainfall, horrible winters with Salt/gravel on the roads that sandblast any vehicle which turns Iron back to its original state ( Iron Ore ) in record time! Give up?
Florida?
Old 04-09-2012, 04:19 AM   #9
Florida?

I wish! Try an Island in the North Atlantic...

Anyway, spoke with the dealer this AM. I have an appointment at 11am tomorrow to get the AC clutch Replaced or something like that which is the issue. He says it's the pulley just below the alternator and when I turn on my fan it starts the squeal and apparently it's a problem they warned me about when I purchased the truck 2 years ago. Only thing is they were expecting it to give out at 80,000kms, not 40,000kms
I guess the noise was being transferred up to the alternator according to him but I'm not convinced yet. I'll see tomorrow!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
Turns out the dealer was right! It was the AC compressor Clutch just beneath the Alternator. Warranty covered it and thank God, cause it's a $620 part if not. They usually see them go between 60k and 80k so this is a first for them at 40k and with a 2010. They thought Toyota solved the issue but guess not. They had the part in stock so all done and good to go.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Newfoundland?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:05 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoterragaia View Post
Newfoundland?
Winner!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #13
N Y Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Richard
N Y Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Turns out the dealer was right! It was the AC compressor Clutch just beneath the Alternator. Warranty covered it and thank God, cause it's a $620 part if not. They usually see them go between 60k and 80k so this is a first for them at 40k and with a 2010. They thought Toyota solved the issue but guess not. They had the part in stock so all done and good to go.

I must file this one in memory.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Y Tacoma View Post
I must file this one in memory.
Don't tell me that I'm the 1st one to have this changed? There must be a thread on here somewhere documenting it...