Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

800w or 1000w inverter in bed install advice please

Old 04-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
overkill is underrated
bluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
bluefish's Tacoma Gallery
800w or 1000w inverter in bed install advice please

Hoping somebody can either post a helpful link for me, or explain to my like I'm a 5 year old a few things about this process...

I've searched TW and found a whole bunch of threads on inverters but none really broke the process down or put my feeble mind at ease about the specifics of installing one I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to electrical work.

Here's my situation: I have a '12 SR5 and I want to put in an inverter and wire the outlets in the standard TRD location on the rear passenger side of the bed. I want to power a small compressor, battery chargers for cordless tools, work lights, camping stuff like radios and a hot plate or water boiler. From what little I know, I believe I want 800w or 1000w for this stuff as the 400w won't be enough for the amperage I need, and larger ones will strain the battery and alternator too much (?)

If anybody can give me technical information about wiring the inverter and outlet I'd really appreciate it. I'm an electrical novice. Also any info about specific hardware or electrical diagrams would be awesome.

Do I want to locate the inverter somewhere underneath the center console like standard, or would there be advantages in putting it elsewhere?

My truck has the factory tow package. Am I right to believe it has an alternator that can handle this type of load?

Am I right that I should hardwire the inverter to the battery and put in a relay and switch?

Thanks for any help
Old 10-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
tacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomaconvert's Tacoma Gallery
How'd you make out with this, ever get one installed?? I'm in the same situation, have a 2012 DC SR5 with factory tow package and would like to have an AC power outlet somewhere.