1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When depressing clutch at speed, grinding noise from Transmission.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BlackSeven, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Apr 10, 2012 at 7:33 AM
    BlackSeven

BlackSeven [OP] Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    Toytec Ultimate Lift kit, Toytec Rear AAL, 4.88 Gears, ARB Rear locker, Doug Thorley header, Volant Cold Air Intake, Demello Offroad front high clearance bumper, ARB On board Air compressor, BLHM, Wet Okoles, 2011 Color matched grill, Weathertech mats, 4x Innovations Sliders, ATO Engine Skid plate, ATO High lift bed mounts.
    Truck only has 8k miles on it. Whenever the load on the transmission changes when going over 40mph going from acceleration to deceleration or vice versa, shifting 5th to 4th or 4th to 5th or just pushing the clutch in I get a nice grinding sound and I can feel it in the gear shifter.

This is a 4cyl 5spd NOT the 6cyl 6spd, the throwout bearing TSB doesn't appear to apply to the 5spd.

I have a 3inch lift, front diff drop, and 3 degree axle shims from toytec in the back. The sound seems to come from the input shaft of the transmission, but I'm not entirely sure. Could it be a problem with the shims? I figured if it was a pinion alignment issue between the rear of the trans and the rear differential it would cause a vibration, not a grinding.

2. Apr 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    Mine does it too, its common for the regular cabs. Its the driveshaft slip yoke, not the transmission. The only real fix is a new driveshaft, bit some have had luck simply flipping the driveshaft. Didnt work for me.

3. Apr 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    BlackSeven

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    Toytec Ultimate Lift kit, Toytec Rear AAL, 4.88 Gears, ARB Rear locker, Doug Thorley header, Volant Cold Air Intake, Demello Offroad front high clearance bumper, ARB On board Air compressor, BLHM, Wet Okoles, 2011 Color matched grill, Weathertech mats, 4x Innovations Sliders, ATO Engine Skid plate, ATO High lift bed mounts.
    Whatabout getting 2 degree shims instead of 3?

4. Apr 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    I dont know ive never tried. Im posting from my phone so i cant search, but check out the "similar threads" at the bottom of the page. Theres some good info there. Sorry.

5. Apr 13, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    BlackSeven

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    I flipped the drive shaft and it definitely made the noise get much quieter but it is still there just barely audible now. I suppose the only real fix is to get a tom woods custom cv shaft or a double cardan shaft.

6. Apr 13, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    USAONE

USAONE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    Stock
    My son bought a new 2011 Taco 4x4 single cab. Transmission rattled like hell. Now it sounds like grinding metal. What a POS! If it rattles you will be having trouble. They should be ashamed to sell this kind of junk. His is a 5 speed.

7. Apr 13, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    BlackSeven

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    Yeah, I also lifted my truck changing the pinion angle, which affects the orientation of the U joint while the shaft is spinning, so I'm not going to place blame on toyota where it's not warranted. If this were a Jeep with a 3 inch lift I would have DEFINITELY had to spend the 350 dollars on a tom woods driveshaft before I could even drive it down the street.

If the Transmission is rattling, it's likely covered under warranty as long as the rattle isn't a result of the lift.

8. Jul 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    BlackSeven

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    I still have it, but it is without a doubt related to the pinion angle and ujoints. Effectively the driveshaft is too short. You can work with some different shims under your leaf packs to try to minimize it, but the real solution is to get a custom length double cardan driveshaft made.

9. Jul 20, 2012 at 11:50 AM
    BlackSeven

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    My add a leaf has settled and I still have the sound, try going to a 2 degree shim or remove the shim all together, it may get better. Other then that the real fix is to get the double cardan shaft (which is a 2 joint shaft like was suggested to you).

10. Jul 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM
    bendbolden

bendbolden Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    When I had my reg cab I had the same issue and the DS flip solved the problem. I did not have the full 3" of lift though which leads me to believe the higher you go the harder it is to get rid of without a custom DS.

11. Jul 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    I am stock, 2011, about 37,000 miles and no such sound / vibration

12. Jul 20, 2012 at 4:22 PM
    BlackSeven

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    You would have had to modify the distance/angle of the pinion flange which happens when you lift the truck in order to run into this problem. Also, it seems to only be a problem in regular cab trucks without a two piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing (they make spacers for those).

13. Oct 4, 2015 at 3:36 PM
    vrod671

vrod671 The Okayest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    Stock
    sub'd

14. Oct 4, 2015 at 3:42 PM
    vrod671

vrod671 The Okayest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    Stock
    @BlackSeven have you figured out and resolved the problem?

Products Discussed in

To Top