1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

If You Did It Again, Tacoma or Tundra?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by davelac, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Mar 8, 2015 at 8:57 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Tacoma. I liked my Tundra but I think they are too big.

2. Mar 8, 2015 at 9:00 PM
    MikeDeason

MikeDeason Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma. Less expensive, more reliable and just all around cooler than a Ram knock off.

3. Mar 8, 2015 at 9:08 PM
    Justn868

Justn868 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    14 4x4 TRD OR
    My Tacoma meets and exceeds all of the uses I currently have.

4. Mar 8, 2015 at 10:14 PM
    jack klompus

jack klompus Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD access cab
    Tacoma is the truck with the reputation and history. If I wanted a full size, I'd get a Ford or Chevy.

ChesterTaco likes this.
  5. Mar 8, 2015 at 10:33 PM
    SYTFUxMBRProjects

SYTFUxMBRProjects Instagram: b00sted_b18c5

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Leandro
    Vehicle:
    2006 Super White Tacoma TRD-Sport Supercharged
    I love my Tacoma, but if I could do it over again, I'd get a Tundra like I originally planned.

6. Mar 9, 2015 at 5:40 AM
    toomanytoys84

toomanytoys84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stock
    Right now the Tacoma fits me and my family perfectly. Kids are small, and they fit fine in the smaller cab. 5 years down the road..well might be a Tundra in my driveway or an F150. But who knows what will be out there in 2020

7. Mar 9, 2015 at 5:50 AM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Tacoma. Perfect for me.

I don't get why people say they would prefer Ford to Tundra. The only benefit I can see is cost because domestic trucks are always getting these 12,000 off employee price sales. Only way I'd get a ford over a tundra is if it were a lease and I didn't have to worry about post-warranty life and loss in value.

8. Mar 9, 2015 at 5:57 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    tundra.
    the tacoma, was not one ounce more truck than i 'needed'...

the tundra is 10 times more comfortable than the tacoma. sure, you cant zip around on the highway, or park effortlessly but its nice having to load the truck with gear, not think twice about where it has to go or how it has to be arranged in order to fit. all of us love our vehicles enough already that we park in the boonies anyways...

i was constantly up against red line on my V6, the V6 in the tacoma is barely powerful enough. the 5.7 doesnt bat an eye. its nice to drive and feel like your not beating the eff out of the motor. Gas mileage, i was getting 17 combine on my tacoma driving it the way i wanted to drive it. on the tundra, i get 18...

smoothness, ride comfort and cabin noise. cannot even compare. the transmission? forget about it. night and day. the tacoma transmission while dependable shifted like a dump truck, add on engine and wind noise. the interior finish is better (leather wrapped dash vents!) ;) can pull 10,000 pounds and carry a boatload more weight, same MPG...........

And the tacoma has better interwebz forums...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  9. Mar 9, 2015 at 8:41 AM
    orangedevil37

orangedevil37 RedBull

Member:
    cincinnati ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC 4x4 SR5
    i miss my tundra. I got a Tacoma and all I got out of it was problems. my truck shakes like a damn paint can, Toyota has yet to fix it but tells me its normal after going there 5 different times. I get the same mileage as my tundra but with less hp and towing capability. im kinda pissed at myself. currently looking to get another tundra unless Toyota can magically fix my truck shaking which is the same as wishing in one hand and crapping in the other and seeing which one fills faster!

10. Mar 9, 2015 at 11:55 AM
    SunValleyKing

SunValleyKing Whitetrash Superstar

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD Sport Access Cab 4x4
    If they still made a Tundra with an Access cab and a manual transmission it might be a tougher call for me. I had an '06 Tundra Access cab with an auto transmission and I always regretted not getting the 6 speed manual. The Tundra is just too big for my taste, and I don't need a truck that big. And if I was going to get a full size truck I would probably lean towards something like a Ram.

shakerhood likes this.
  11. Jan 5, 2016 at 6:19 PM
    upthemaiden

upthemaiden Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab SR5
    Just bought it!
    I used to have a Tacoma(06 access cab) and had to trade it in because my daughter outgrew the back seat. We swapped it for a 2014 Tundra double cab and it fits us well with the extra space. I also considered a tacoma double cab long bed, but they're harder to come by and I actually got my tundra for cheaper than I could find the DCLB Tacoma, so why not.... I used to live in the city and the Tacoma was the perfect size at the time. I'm in the suburbs now so size really isn't an issue, but I know the plan is to move back to the city in about 6 years, and I don't know if the truck will just be more hassle than it's worth due to the size.

I think the tacoma is more fun to drive(especially in the snow), but the tundra is a much better ride. I definitely miss my old truck... I always slow down to check them out when I see them on the road(but in all fairness I do the same with every tundra I see too). I'm 5'8 so I know the Tacoma fit me better, but even the double cabs we sat in felt like a tight squeeze for a full family. I don't know what the kid situation will be that far down the line, double cab is obviously a requirement if kids are going to be in the back, and a DCSB would be a nice size truck for the city, but I don't know if I can go from this giant 6.5' bed down to a 5' bed that's not even wide enough to hold drywall between the wheel wells. I've got busy hands so I'm always redoing rooms and working on projects so the bed is always getting used, so I feel like I'd at least need a 6' bed to be happy. The Tacoma DCLB is only inches shorter than the Tundra, so really, I'd have a hard time justifying trading in a truck that's paid off at that point, for something skinnier with a tighter cab, smaller bed, and that's really not going to be any easier to parallel park or fit in a driveway. It's skinnier, so it'd be easier to fit down skinny city streets, but that's really all it's got as far as arguments go for trading it in. If it wasn't for the back seat issue, I never would've bothered trading my old truck in now and I'd be 100% content with it, but I feel like now that I've had the tundra for a while, it's gonna be really hard to give it up someday.

12. Jan 5, 2016 at 6:45 PM
    ChesterTaco

ChesterTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chester, CA
    Vehicle:
    '15 BRM DCSB OR, 1993 Pickup
    Gentex 453 Mirror, Paid-off Mod.
    Second.

13. Jan 5, 2016 at 6:51 PM
    Skrain

Skrain Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    2009 F.J. Cruiser
    Westin 9 LED Driving Lights.
    I had a Tundra for a rental while my frame inspection was being done. it was a TANK! A nice ride and all, considering it was a base stripper, but actually too big for me to be comfortable in. If I hit the lottery, I think I'd try to find a 2015 Tacoma Sport Double cab as my first choice as a replacement for my 2006.

14. Jan 5, 2016 at 7:37 PM
    Holeshot

Holeshot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    15 Doublecab TRD Off Road 4 X 4
    Tacoma for me. The Tundra is too big. YMMV

15. Jan 5, 2016 at 7:39 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Exactly, the lack of a manual trans in the Tundra crosses it off the list.

16. Jan 5, 2016 at 7:42 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    If I ever went full size I'd get a Raptor. But I like my boosted little taco just fine...

17. Jan 5, 2016 at 8:27 PM
    nextfriday

nextfriday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 Double Cab
    5100s@2.5", 2" aal Leer 100 XR w/ Yakima rails and towers 18x9 Pro Comp Rockwells Cooper Discoverer AT3 275 65 18
    Tacoma. The friggin tundra is too big and won't fit in my garage!

18. Jan 5, 2016 at 8:30 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    I like my Tundra more than my Tacoma, although not everyone needs a full size. It is a big truck, and kind of thirsty, but with that said it's roomy, comfy and powerful which were the three things I needed.

19. Jan 5, 2016 at 8:42 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    Yeah, putting an adult in the back of even a DC taco can be tight...

20. Jan 5, 2016 at 10:29 PM
    TacoTaco15

TacoTaco15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM DCSB PreRunner 2.7
    Tundra is way too massive. Once every few months I might run into a situation where I say 'gee, I wish my bed was a bit longer' - then I figure out another way to finnagle my cargo in there and forget about it again. No way would I want the extra cash involved in having a Tundra - I love my Taco.

Also, you guys must have fat friends. My buddies always comment on how much room is in the back seat of my Taco DCSB.

Products Discussed in

To Top