Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Long shifter, instead of short shifter?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
DunhamAll is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
DunhamAll's Tacoma Gallery
Long shifter, instead of short shifter?

Anyone seen one, or know where to get one?

I'm looking for a shifter that's 4-6" longer than the stock 6Spd shifter.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Toyota Dealer Technician
1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
1GR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to 1GR
Uhhh.. Why?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Actually I wouldn't mind it being 3" longer with a double bend to the left.

If done right the concept is getting the stick closer to the steering wheel. Both hands on the wheel when not shifting, and minimum motion to reach the shifter, is the goal. Ideally the throw is REALLY short but the shaft is long so at the actual point of knob travel the distance isn't changed, but in really it doesn't happen that way much.

I remember a few years back a small company was making straight shifter extenders that just threaded on for the Honda size. Top of the knob was even with the top of the dashboard... oh those were a sight to behold.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
My only contribution is that an older toyota (aisin) shifter might work, say from a G52, W56, or R151??? Even if you have to swap the lever with the pivot ball to the original pivot flange. All this is just an idea and is hypothetical, you would have to match things up yourself. The length and shape would be about right for the descriptions.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
I remember a few years back a small company was making straight shifter extenders that just threaded on for the Honda size. Top of the knob was even with the top of the dashboard... oh those were a sight to behold.
LOL!

In high school, a guy had a 50-something pickup with a floor shift.
He made his own lever. Came up, over the front of the seat, back to the back, and followed the back of the seat up.

Big ole' fugging 8-ball screwed onto the top and it sat at shoulder-height!

Looked badass with the fuzzy dice.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
I built a 3" extension with an adjustable 2" offset. It bolts to the shift lever and tightens onto the taper of the lever. I could adjust it for the perfect offset, then once tightened, it's rock solid. It would take a small puller to remove it now. My hand comes off the wheel and falls right on the knob without any looking or fumbling. No reaching either because I coupled it with a short throw kit from URD.