1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Tacoma First Service

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by daily rider, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Apr 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    daily rider

daily rider [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    12 AC TRD OR
    My 2012 TRD will be going in for its 5k service later this week and I had some questions.

- Do the 2012's come from the factory with synthetic oil? (I have heard
    differing opinions on this)

- If not - I plan on switching to synthetic oil and extending my service intervals
    out past Toyotas recommended 5K... will toyota give me any grief over the
    stipulations for their Toyota Care maintenance plan.

Any other 2012 owners out there have any input?

2. Apr 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    The most important thing you can do is to never take your truck back to Toyota unless your physically unable to perform a task.

You need to do research on how warranty's work. That said just keep your receipts and a log of the work you have done.

3. Apr 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    andrew8404

andrew8404 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDREW
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 (Sold) 19 Ford Ranger Sport XLT 4x4
    I'm sorry I see nothing wrong with taking advantage of a free oil change. Thats just money lost for the buyer.

4. Apr 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    neonlazer

neonlazer Mechanically Goofy

Member:
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    Depends on the person..some use the free maintenance then change to synthetic..some buy oil and put it in the truck and tell them to use it..sometimes they do..i have heard some ignore it anyways lol

5. Apr 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM
    bubbagumps

bubbagumps Well-Known Member

Member:

Yeah, I also don't know why you wouldn't take advantage of the free maintenance on the Tacoma. Unless you don't like having to make an appointment, it is money saved. Youre not going to do anything special that the dealer won't. An oil change is an oil change. And there is only one way to rotate tires and top of fluids.

6. Apr 11, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    yotacoma12

yotacoma12 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MIKE
    sd
    Vehicle:
    v6 dcsb 2nd gen
    avid offroad lightbar avid step rails

It depends on how far you are form your dealer and wehter or not you are comfortable waiting to have them service your vehicle. If its th efirst service you might want to take it in so that a trained mechanic can take a look and see if by some strange possibility that their is an actual problem with your vehicle that you do not know of. Believe it or not, sometime at the facotry they miss things like, hose clamps or seals, filters. I would take it in for its first and probabaly 5th just to keep them in the loop.

7. Apr 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    lol... yup... just money lost.

Sure it is :rolleyes:

even better yet :laugh:

Your funny.

If you two truly believe the misinformation you just typed Ill leave this thread forever.

Yes... they take the synthetic home, pour in standard, and then laugh at you for bringing them oil for their own cars.

8. Apr 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    Dave M

Dave M Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    12 S/C AC TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Supercharger Sunroof Leather Seats TRD Exhaust TRD Short throw Shifter
    Did the tinfoil hat come standard with your taco, or was it aftermarket?

9. Apr 11, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    JTyfz450

JTyfz450 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeryck
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    I got my Toyota Care card in the mail a few days ago and it say for oil type to be used is conventional oil. I believe you can ask for synthetic and just pay the difference

10. Apr 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    Dhawk1313

Dhawk1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5
    Clear Corners, Clear Turn Signals, Pioneer Headunit, Kenwood speakers up front, Alpines in back, Billy 5100's front + rear, Toytec AAL, Eibach/Toytec Coilovers, Toytec Diff drop, Smoked taillights
    Dealership hater detected. :playball:

11. Apr 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    bubbagumps

Member:
    It is a bit obsessive-compulsive to fret over a free oil change at the dealer. But that is just my opinion. Nobody is forcing you to do it and if you want to spend the money and buy the oil yourself, nothing wrong with that.

However, if someone doesn't want the dealer doing free maintenance and touching their vehicle because they are worried about not getting a 'proper' tire rotation and oil change, I would hate to think how they would deal with the stress if the dealer or a shop actually had to work on the vehicle for a major issue or recall. I suspect they would probably need to be heavily medicated with a 24-hr Xanax IV drip.

12. Apr 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

I have no tinfoil hat.

I just have common sense and wisdom from dealing with dealers and knowing a few techs in my time.

You guys have fun with your "free" oil changes where the lot kid doesn't put on a crush washer then over-torques the drain plug time after time.

It takes more time to drive to Toyota and back then it does to do it yourself and I'm not even including the time it takes them to actually change your oil. I think Ill stick with my 20 minute oil changes in my backyard then drive an hour then wait an hour for a free one. My time is worth more then that to me.

and by all means please bring in your own synthetic... my buddy has his garage full of free shit you people bring in....not to mention drawers full of "extra" bolts, nuts, and washers off of peoples trucks (and he is one of the intelligent ones).

13. Apr 11, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

I'm probably the only person besides you in this thread who knows what a torque wrench is let alone the torque specs for the oil drain plug :eek:

14. Apr 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM
    Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC TRD Sport
    Said the random dude on the internet...

15. Apr 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    andrew8404

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDREW
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Why don't you just build your own truck? Who knows what the dealer did to it while it was on the lot? Sure someone could screw up your oil change just like a dumb driver could rear end you. But that doesn't prevent you from driving does it? Or not driving in rain do to more if a chance of an accident.

16. Apr 11, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

I have "built" my truck :rolleyes:

No one can screw up my oil change besides myself and if someone rear ends me they can eat my 3/16" wall tube steel bumper.

Whatever your trying to do isn't working so take a step back, rethink it, then come at me bro :D

I understand the need to have someone change your oil. I'm just not the kind of guy who would "need" it done for me.

I think anyone with some common sense can learn to maintain their own vehicle while saving money and sometimes actual time.

17. Apr 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    bubbagumps

Member:
    Well, I must get the good bums they pull off the street to change oil because I have owned 10 vehicles over 30 years and for the most part have always had my routine service done from the the dealer or 10-minute oil change places. Never had anyone screw up an oil change and never screwed up a tire rotation--not sure how anyone can screw up a tire rotation.

But I understand some people just like doing it themselves and as I said there is nothing wrong with that. But I also have to admit that it is a bit paranoid to think anyone who goes to the dealer for an oil change is in serious danger.

18. Apr 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    daily rider

daily rider [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    12 AC TRD OR
    This was what I was looking for. I want to take advantage of the toyota care, but would also like to switch to synthetic. Paying a little extra is fine with me.

Came across two links with some good info

http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/resources/maintenance/synthetic-motor-oil

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-...acoma-synthetic-oil-every-5000-miles-why.html

19. Apr 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    The oil changes are so easy on these trucks...it's a pleaure to do! You might get good service at a dealership...you might not. I've seen the kids that do it at my dealership and read the horror stories here. As long as your truck is under warrenty do not go over the recommened change interval. Keep records of the oil and filters bought and track the date and mileage...at least until the warrenty period is over.

20. Apr 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM
    andrew8404

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDREW
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    I'm not coming at you "bro". And you did not build your truck Toyota did. I'm simply saying don't get pissy at people for people wanting to change there oil at a dealership. And how would it save money for people to do it themselves unless you were far from a dealer. Just stop hating bro.

Products Discussed in

To Top