Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Shop refuses to install my lift.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Conservative
Executive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Executive's Tacoma Gallery
Shop refuses to install my lift.

So I'm THIS close to buying a 3" lift from Toytec, 5100s with AALs. I know what the parts will cost but I am considering having a local independent shop do the install. There is a shop that I thought would be reputable nearby so I went by to get a quote on installation. They "do not install any customer supplied parts and why do you need to change shocks and springs on a brand new truck anyway?"

This going on during the week when my state legislature is discussing the "Right to repair" bill which would force dealers to release technical knowledge and computer codes not usually available to private shops. You would think they would want a new customer. Here I am trying to give the little guy some business and they say "no thanks". Now I'm looking for a different shop or may end up DIYing the job.

Anyone else have this problem? I've installed many customer supplied items in my trade over the years and honor an installation warranty on my work. Problems with the parts are the responsibility of the customer and I make it clear that that is the case.

Regards,
Chris
Old 04-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
That's not out of the norm. You can look around for a shop that will do the work but it's their call. Also, if you take your truck back to a Toyota dealership after the suspension is installed aside from regular maintenance they can refuse to work on your truck. I forget where I read it but they can refuse to perform an alignment after a lift if they choose.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Supercharged Mileage Master
MikeyLikesIt will become famous soon enoughMikeyLikesIt will become famous soon enough
MikeyLikesIt's Tacoma Gallery
It's a common practice. They will claim they want to make sure they supply the parts in case anything goes wrong, but the truth is most shops will want to make money on the parts and service.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Executive View Post
So I'm THIS close to buying a 3" lift from Toytec, 5100s with AALs. I know what the parts will cost but I am considering having a local independent shop do the install. There is a shop that I thought would be reputable nearby so I went by to get a quote on installation. They "do not install any customer supplied parts and why do you need to change shocks and springs on a brand new truck anyway?"

This going on during the week when my state legislature is discussing the "Right to repair" bill which would force dealers to release technical knowledge and computer codes not usually available to private shops. You would think they would want a new customer. Here I am trying to give the little guy some business and they say "no thanks". Now I'm looking for a different shop or may end up DIYing the job.

Anyone else have this problem? I've installed many customer supplied items in my trade over the years and honor an installation warranty on my work. Problems with the parts are the responsibility of the customer and I make it clear that that is the case.

Regards,
Chris
Dude, some shops are like that. Deal with it and move on. Plus why would you want to take your truck to a shop that dosent want your business. Find a good offroad shop or do it yourself. Your install is super easy. Could do it yourself in a few hours with mostly hand tools.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
Had it happen to me also. They wanted to supply the parts.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
I'd install it in your driveway if I were you, it is a very simple thing to do the front. I have never installed an AAL before but I've watch people do it and it looks pretty straight forward.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Some shops will use customer supplied parts but hike the hourly service rate up. Find another shop or do it in your driveway.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
pwo is on a distinguished road

Navy: U.S Navy GSM gas systems turbine tech.
Name: Philip
pwo's Tacoma Gallery
Do to my work (12 hr shifts) I figured I would get someone else to install. After calling a few places the cheapest quote I got was $500, they must have lost there mind. No way I would pay anyone that much for a couple hours of work. So I installed by myself in 5 hrs. Forget the shops dude, do it yourself!!!!!!$$$$$$$$
Old 04-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
The old Kenworth dealer I worked for wouldnt install customer supplied parts. if you were closer I would do it, or at least help. Anyone in your area up for a mod day?
Old 04-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
Fienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant future

Name: Hieu
Fienoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Fienoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
It's a liability issue. If they somehow damage your stuff or your stuff damages your truck, they can be held liable. Shops carry buisness insurance, and one of the terms of the insurance may be that they have to supply parts and not the customer.
Thats exactly right..just like why they wont allow you to stand right next to them while they work on your car..in case the lift fails or something else goes wrong..they dont want to go through the trouble.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
If I owned a shop I wouldn't do it either. The liability situation in this country has caused it. It goes hand in hand with the average persons unwillingness to accept any responsibility for their decisions.

Lifts very often cause problems, and a search of every forum out there proves it. It doesn't matter what you make a customer sign to try and make them take responsibilty for the outcome of such a modification. Once you touch their vehicle you are the easy target for the blame.

I've spent many years in business, and I've done many things to help old and well known customers. Doing favors for people who walk in off the street is almost always going to bring you headaches. That's just how it works.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
In a Coma is on a distinguished road
In a Coma's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Colorado and Toytec is 5 miles from my house. I have a 3" ultimate kit on my 2011 tacoma. There are TONS of reasons you would want to upgrade the suspension on a brand new truck (anyone that has to ask is an idiot). The install is pretty easy and you can do it yourself. There are plenty of threads on this forum that guide you through it. If you want a shop to do it I would go somewhere else. Is there a 4x4 shop anywhere close to you? That's where I would go. Also, I have a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty that I got when I bought my truck brand new. Toyota cannot and will not refuse to work on it because I have a lift. That's just not true. Good luck! ps-I LOVE the toytec lift! They are great guys and make quality parts!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Find an actual off road shop if possible. The fact they questioned why youd want to change out the shocks show they dont really have experience in lifts to begin with.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #15
grhopper is a glorious beacon of lightgrhopper is a glorious beacon of lightgrhopper is a glorious beacon of lightgrhopper is a glorious beacon of lightgrhopper is a glorious beacon of lightgrhopper is a glorious beacon of light
grhopper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
Meh. Most restaurants wont cook a slab of beef you bring them either. What a great opportunity to do yourself. GL
That's not always true. I've been to some restaurants that will cook what you catch. And most restaurants will allow you to bring in your own bottle of wine and they just charge you a corking fee.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #16
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
I can't really blame them. I'm sure they're basing their decision on past issues. I supplied all of my own parts and had a local shop install them. I personally knew the guy installing it so he didn't mind looking to some of the issues I was having post lifting. Personally I would have told me I wasn't gonna do anything for me if the parts were installed correctly and I was having issues. If I supplied the setup and it didn't work out, it's kind of my fault. Certain shops like to go with what they know works. So I say +1 on DIY
Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #17
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
Most restaurants wont cook a slab of beef you bring them either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhopper View Post
That's not always true. I've been to some restaurants that will cook what you catch. And most restaurants will allow you to bring in your own bottle of wine and they just charge you a corking fee.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #18
He said "Member," ahuh huh
Appljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
Appljaxx's Tacoma Gallery
Can't say i'm shocked. If the dude doesn't know why you are upgrading your truck he is probably not the guy (or girl) you want working on your rig.

I was talking to the guy at a local shop here about regearing and he flat out told me if i bought the stuff through him he would mark it up 15%. Then we got on his computer together and picked out the stuff i would need so i could order it myself.

For every shop that won't do it there are 3 that will....
Old 04-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #19
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
It's an open market, anyone has the right to refuse service to anyone for anything and any reason. Go to a different shop.