Notices

Psi?

Old 12-18-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
cdnbanker is on a distinguished road
cdnbanker's Tacoma Gallery
Psi?

hey guys,

i am going to throw 2-300 pounds of sand over the axle
what should i reduce the PSI on the tires too? 30?

DC/LB truck

(this for snow/ice reasons)

thanks
Old 12-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I'd air up the tires after you throw the sand in there. I had my first experience driving on ice this week, so I'm not too sure about the actual ideal PSI.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
I've been wondering the same thing. The door says 33 rear, so I'm thinking 30ish would probably do for winter.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
air up man
Old 12-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
You could try it out at 30 and see how it goes.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Wow...my door jam says all tires to be at 29psi. I actually run mine at 32-34psi. I might go down to 29 or less this winter (without weight in the bed).
That's what I had read on here before I bought the truck, so I was kinda surprised when I looked and it said 30 front, 33 rear. It's a Canadian base-model 4 banger, so it might be different from the V6...
Old 12-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a article from Tire Rack.

Winter Air Pressure...You Can't Just Set It...And Then Forget It

Tires don't really carry the weight of your vehicle...the air pressure inside them does. And maintaining the correct air pressure is a requirement for good handling, traction and durability. The tire pressure recommended in your vehicle's owner's manual or on the tire information placard is a "cold" pressure, so it should be checked in the morning before you drive more than a few miles.

The fall and early winter months are the most critical times to check your tire's inflation pressures because air is a gas which contracts as the days get shorter and the temperatures get colder.

For every 10 degree Fahrenheit change in outside temperature, your tire's inflation pressure will change by about 1 psi (up with higher and down with lower temperatures)

In most parts of the country the typical difference between average summer and winter temperatures is about -50 degree F. That difference results in a loss of about 5 psi, which will sacrifice tire performance and treadwear!

If you are fortunate enough to park in an attached or heated garage you will also "lose" pressure when you leave its warmth and venture into the real world outside. So add 1 psi of "cold" tire pressure to compensate for each 10 degree temperature difference.

And finally, don't forget to keep your valve caps on. If left off, moisture can freeze in the valve and allow the air to escape.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #9
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
Check what the recommended PSI is on the tires. The door pressure is for stock tires. Generally if your carrying any weight you want your tires to be harder. If you don't have enough air in your tires, you risk heating them to much and failure. Especially if you do much high speed (highway) driving. My tires are at 34 psi. If I were going to pack a load I would air them to 40psi.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:46 AM   #10
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Wow...my door jam says all tires to be at 29psi. I actually run mine at 32-34psi. I might go down to 29 or less this winter (without weight in the bed).

(2007 TRD Sport)
Mine says all 4 at 29 psi also, there are a number of posts where people say their tag says 29 front and 32 rear...is it the 4x4's that are all the same, or which trucks are the same PSI on all 4 and which are different front/rear?
Old 12-19-2008, 04:48 AM   #11
Hardcore wheeler, try and keep up.... if you can.
SnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud of

SnoBoarder's Tacoma Gallery
2007 DC 4x4 Off-Road Short Bed
Sticker 29 Front, 32 Rear
My Preference 35
I air down to 25 in snow storms