1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory mounts for sliders, nerf steps, etc?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ShanerSTL, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Apr 13, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    ShanerSTL

ShanerSTL [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    San Diego/St.Louis
    3" lift
    I have an 09 Prerunner reg cab with a 3" lift. I'm interested in buying some bolt on rock sliders, nerf steps or something of the sort. Before I order anything I want to make sure that I have the stock mounts on my truck for installation. What should I be looking for? Anyone have any pics showing such? I looked underneath but couldn't see anything obbious. Thanks

2. Apr 13, 2012 at 1:13 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Factory running boards , Nfabs , and Avid bolt on " slider " steps all bolt to factory mounting locations in the underside of the cab floor .

Real sliders either bolt or weld to the frame

3. Apr 13, 2012 at 1:16 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    In addition to what OZ said there will be plugs you need to pop out first. So if you were just looking for holes that is why you didnt see them. If you bolt sliders in that location just be aware they wont be able to handle what a slider is supposed to if you plan on putting them to hard use.

4. Apr 13, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    ShanerSTL

ShanerSTL [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    San Diego/St.Louis
    3" lift
    Ok, thanks guys. I sent the guy from Avid an email. I'll check out Nfab. Any experience w 4x Innovations? Thxs

5. Apr 14, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Not personally, no.

What do you plan on using these for? If you just want a step of sorts and like the looks of sliders, the bolt on sliders will suit you fine. However any heavy off roading where you will be using the sliders to support the weight of the vehicle whether that be on rocks or if you need to use a high lift jack you won't wont bolt on and you'll want sliders that weld to the frame, like OZ said.

I have N-fabs myself. No complaints so far. Just hoping the finish holds up on them. Avid has some nice side steps in addition to the sliders.

6. Apr 14, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The Avid bolt on " sliders " are actually steps that look like sliders but bolt onto the underside of cab floor in the factory running board mounts . They cannot be used for lifting the vehicle or resting the vehicle's weight on them without damage to the truck .

Several vendors offer bolt on versions of real sliders , the difference is they bolt on to the frame .

7. Apr 14, 2012 at 9:44 AM
    ShanerSTL

ShanerSTL [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    San Diego/St.Louis
    3" lift
    Not going to be doing any off roading. Just looking for something to protect against door dings and to help with getting in and out of the truck since it has a 3" lift. Def sounds like I should go the bolt on route. I'm going to try to reach the guys at Avid and see what my options are. Any other advise, please send it my way!

8. Apr 14, 2012 at 9:49 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I like the look of the Avids but can't comment on how great they are as steps , I have Nfabs , they are great steps but do not protect against door dings

9. Apr 14, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    ShanerSTL

ShanerSTL [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    San Diego/St.Louis
    3" lift
    I'm going to take a look at the N Fabs too. They look nice...

10. Apr 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    ShanerSTL

ShanerSTL [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    San Diego/St.Louis
    3" lift
    So I just took a look under the cab again. I noticed the two plugs up front and in the rear that need to be removed. I'm guessing since my truck is just a reg cab there is no middle mounting location? Does that sound right? Appears that it should be a really easy install...

Products Discussed in

To Top